Colon cruise port is located at the end of Panama Canal, at the Caribbean side. The city is the 2nd largest in Panama, and is also an important tourist and commercial center. It has a population of around 78,000 inhabitants (metro 220,000 according to 2010 census).
- Originally, Colon was entirely located on Manzanillo Island, and surrounded by Manzanillo Bay, Limon Bay and Folks River. However, since the disestablishment of Panama Canal Zone, its limits have been redefined to include the former U.S. Army base Fort Gulick, as well former Canal Zone towns of Coco Solo, Cristobal and Margarita.
- A restoration and reconstruction project, which involves historic buildings, monuments, parks and avenues started in late 2014. The First Baptist Church of Colon, Panama, is among the buildings whose renovation was completed.
- Colon cruise port is the 2nd largest duty-free port in the world. Colon was established in 1850 and has been a Free Trade Zone since 1953. The Panamanians speak Spanish as their official language.
- Cruise ships leave Colon cruise port with destinations Costa Rica and Southern Caribbean. The cruise lines that depart the port are Royal Caribbean and Cruise West.
Colon cruise terminal
Colon cruise port has two docks – "Colon 2000" and "Cristobal Pier".
Colon 2000 Cruise Terminal
Colon 2000 was constructed at the millennium’s turn. It is in the Province of Colon and its managers are a private company. They invested US$15 million to develop the project for modern Colon cruise port piers and terminals. It has the greatest efficiency among all Central America’s ports.
The first part of the project was ready in October 2000. The first Colon cruise Terminal and Pier’s name is “Port of Call.” Here are located the customs.
In February 2008 was developed the second Colon Cruise Port Terminal and Pier is the “Home Port.” It is in service since December 2008. The building has three gates separated for cargo, passengers and luggage.
Colon cruise port terminal building offers native craft boutiques, an internet cafe, lounge areas, a duty-free mall and a supermarket.
Cristobal Pier Cruise Terminal
The distance between Cristobal Pier and Colon 2000 is 5 km. The taxi rate for the 10-minute journey is $3 roughly. Colon cruise port terminal at Cristobal pier usually welcomes its guest with native dances right in the building. There is also nice shopping area.
Colon tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
The main tourist season in Panama is from December to April. September, October, February and March usually are rainy months for Colon.
- Duty Free Zone: The main attraction of Colon is the Free Zone. The shopping complex comprises 1,600 stores – wholesale and retail.
- Festivals: Colon is famous with its festival in March, April and October. The most famous are the Festival of Diablos and Congos and the Festival of the Black Christ.
- Beaches: the most famous one is Playa La Angosta. If you don’t like crowds, avoid Sundays.
- Portobelo: an hour drive from Colon. Visit the Customs House, UNESCO World Heritage.
- Isla Grande: an hour from the city., resort are with hotels, restaurants, shops and water activities.
- Barro Colorado Nature Preserve: national park in the Colon Province. It spreads over 5,364 hectares.
- Soberania National Park: rain forest.
- Portobelo National Park: visit coral reefs and mangrove forests. Meet the wildlife or see UNESCO World Heritage Sites (fortifications).
- Embera Quera Village: to reach the village, you have to drive 25 minutes and then ride a canoe for 20 minutes. The native village offers amazing time and local goods as carvings and baskets.
- Fort San Lorenzo (Fuerte de San Lorenzo) is a ruins site located approx 13 km (8 ml) west of Colon, and overlooking Chagres River.
Port Colon cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Colon, Panama. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|31 October, 2020|
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line opened for sale a range of winter 2022-2023 worldwide voyages for 13 of its 18 liners, providing guests with a variety of...September 26, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Viking Ocean Cruises announced two brand-new Panama Canal itineraries that are now open for sale. These are an 18-day "Panama Canal and Coastal...August 12, 2020
- show more news