Sanya is a South China Sea port located on the southern coast of Hainan Island (China). The seaport is operated the whole year-round. The city has population around 0,7 million. This exotic Chinese island has tropical climate and is often called "China’s Hawaii", featuring over 20 km (12 ml) long beach stretches, great opportunities for water sport activities (jet-skiing, snorkeling), numerous modern-designed luxury hotels.
Sanya City is served by an international airport (Sanya Phoenix) with mainly domestic flights from mainland China. Bus lines from other parts of the island are served by the city's bus terminal. City bus line 8 connects the airport with Dadonghai Beach (popular tourist destination). Other popular vacation destinations on the island are Yalong Bay and Haitang Bay. A free bus shuttle runs from Luhuitou Square to Haitang Bay (stopping at Duty-Free Shopping Center - China's largest shopping center.
An Intercity Rail (linking Sanya with Haikou) runs along the island's east coast. The railway has a total of 15 stations in between. As trains travel fast (speeds up to 250 kph / 160 mph), the travel time Sanya to Haikou is approx 1 1/2 hours. There is also a High-Speed Railway (along the island's west coast) also linking Sanya and Haikou.
Among the cruise companies visiting Port Sanya on their ships' Asian itineraries are Royal Caribbean International, Costa Asia and both Genting brands (Star Cruises and Dream Cruises). Here are often homeported the ships SuperStar Aquarius and SuperStar Virgo, operating on cruises to Vietnam (Halong Bay and Danang-Hue).
The lack of large vessel berthing capacity was a major obstacle for the cruise port’s growth, as since its opening in 2006, the port had capacity to handle just one vessel at the time, and of smaller size (max tonnage 80,000 GT tons). To cope with the problem, Port Sanya started a development project at the total cost of USD 480 million.
In 2014, the cruise port handled a total of 71 ship calls and over 156,000 passengers. In 2015 was opened a new berth with capacity to handle RCI's Voyager-class ships (140,000 GT tons). In 2016, the port's total cruise ship capacity was increased to 7 berths and ability to handle even the world's largest passenger ships (up to 250,000 GT tons).
On November 5, 2017, here was held the "China Cruise Shipping Conference" (combined with an "International Expo"). The annual event was the 12th organized by "China Cruise and Yacht Industry Association" and hosted by "China Communications and Transportation Association". Here were represented all operating in Asia cruise companies, as well as major Chinese ports, shipyards and vessel suppliers.
In December 2017, was launched a new route connecting the seaport to Philippines. On January 27, 2018, was launched 2 new cruise routes connecting Sanya with Vietnam. The new (scheduled for Jan 27 - March 20, 2018) services included the 3-day itinerary Sanya-Da Nang-Nha Trang and the 6-day itinerary Sanya-Nha Trang-Ho Chi Minh City. The cruise vessel deployed on these routes has nearly 400 staterooms, 2 restaurants, theater lounge, casino, duty-free shops.
Sanya cruise terminal
Sanya port's "Phoenix Island International Cruise Terminal" is located on Phoenix Island. The facility was inaugurated in November 2006. As phase 1 of the cruise port's development project, in 2015 was opened a new, larger capacity berth that can accommodate RCI's Voyager-class ships. Phase 2 was completed in 2016, resulting in hugely increased docking capacity (up to 7 cruise vessels at a time). The new berths can accommodate even the world's largest passenger ships of RCI's Oasis-class. Also in 2016, at the on Phoenix Island cruise port was opened a luxury hotel, retail outlets and other tourist attractions.
Sanya cruise terminal is sized approx 10,000 m2 (108,000 ft2) The facility is located just a few miles from the city downtown. Phoenix Island is connected to the mainland (Hainan Island) via bridge (approx 10-min walking distance). In front the cruise terminal there is a parking area with taxis. Arriving passengers can also use the city's public transportation service – electric car.
Sanya tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Tianya Haijiao: situated at the Xiamaling Mountain foot, this scenic spot has a scenery rarely found anywhere else. Located about 23 km from Sanya cruise port. To get there take a minibus from downtown called “Nanshan” or “Tianya”. The opening hours are 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Asian Dragon Bay: or Yalong Bay is 25 km from Sanya cruise port. It is situated in the Hainan Province southernmost part. Here is where you can find the best beach in Sanya. In the north part of the Bay, you can find the Butterfly Valley – one of China’s top 5 halls that present the most precious species of butterflies in the country. To get there, take the Special Tourist Bus (double-deck) or Bus 15 from downtown. The opening hours are 7.30 a.m – 6 p.m. (both Yalong Bay and the Sanya Butterfly Valley).
- Luhuitou Park: located on a high hill, the park gives stunning views of Sanya and its surroundings. In the park is situated a 12-meter statue commemorating a local legend of a brave young hunter and a mountain deer that transformed into a beautiful young girl. To get there take a Special Tourist Bus from downtown. Opening hours are 7 a.m – 10 p.m.
Hotels near Sanya cruise port terminal
- Howard Johnson Resort Sanya Bay
- Palmena Apartment – Sanya
- Ocean Sonic Resort Sanya
- Days Hotel & Suites Sanya Resort
- Narada Resort & Spa Sanya
- Holiday Inn Sanya Bay Resort
- Pullman Oceanview Sanya Bay Resort & Spa
- Grand Soluxe Hotel & Resort, Sanya
- Gold Boutique Holiday Apartment
- Sanya Jinglilai Resort
- HNA Duke Mansion
- Fenghuang Rujia Holiday Apartments (Sanya Bay Branch)
- Timton International Hotel
- Xinya International Holiday Hotel
- Wanbo Club
Port Sanya cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sanya, China. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|19 April, 2019|
The Sanya cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Sanya, China.
If you lose the Sanya location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
A cruise route connecting the city of Sanya in Hainan Province, south China and Vietnam has been launched on Saturday, January 27. The cruise...January 28, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Star Cruises announced it will transform the SuperStar Gemini ship into a floating hotel between February 7-16, 2018 at Sanya Phoenix Island...January 24, 2018
- show more news