Boudicca Review and Specifications
Specifications of Boudicca
|Year built||1973 / Age : 45|
|Builder||Wartsila Hietalahti shipyard (Helsinki, Finland)|
|Building cost||USD 25 million|
|Owner||Boudicca Cruise Ltd|
|Operator||Fred Olsen Cruise Lines|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||206 m / 676 ft|
|Beam (width)||25 m / 82 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||28551 gt|
|Passengers||880 - 924|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Former names||Royal Viking Sky|
Current itinerary of Boudicca
Boudicca current cruise is 27 days, one-way from Aqaba to Colombo. Prices start from USD 4649 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 20 Sep, 2018 and ends on 17 Oct, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|21 Sep||Departing from Aqaba, Jordan|
|27 Sep||Salalah, Oman|
|29 Sep - 30 Sep||Muscat, Oman|
|02 Oct||Doha, Qatar|
|03 Oct - 04 Oct||Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|05 Oct||Dubai, Port Rashid, UAE|
|08 Oct||Porbandar, India|
|09 Oct - 10 Oct||Mumbai, Bombay, India|
|11 Oct - 12 Oct||Mormugao, Goa, India|
|14 Oct - 15 Oct||Cochin, India|
|16 Oct||Trivandrum-Vizhinjam, India|
|17 Oct||Arriving in Colombo, Sri Lanka|
Review of Boudicca
Launched in 1973 as Royal Viking Sky, Boudicca is the second oldest of the Fred Olsen ships, with fleetmates Black Watch, Balmoral and Braemar. The ship cost US $23 million to build and was last refurbished in 2015.
History - construction & ownership
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is a Norwegian-owned, UK-based cruise shipping line with four ships, part of the Fred. Olsen Group. The headquarters of the company are in Ipswich, Suffolk, the UK, and it is owned by Bonheur and Ganger Rolf. The company of Fred Olsen originated in 1848 in Hvitsten, a little town on Oslofjord, Norway, by three Olsen brothers, Petter, Andras and Fredrik Christian, who bought their first ships and established an international shipping company. Today the line is into the 5th generation of the family and operates companies skilled within cruise and passenger shipping trade, ships' crewing, ship building, aviation and offshore industries.
The 28,551-ton, 839-passenger cruise ship Boudicca is decked out, as an aging grande dame must be, in good quality, discreetly modern fabrics, though some of the colour schemes are a little dated. But it doesn't matter: the vessel is well-proportioned and destitute of cheap flashiness and surface glitz, and these are the most important things to Boudicca's aim audience of 60-plus Brits.
In 1982, MV Boudicca (under the Fred Olsen’s ownership) was stretched by adding a 91 ft / 28 m long prefabricated middle-section. The refit resulted in an increased gross tonnage (from 21,890 to 28,372) and passenger capacity (from 536 to 900). During the ship’s stretching (done in Germany, at the Seebeckwerft AG’s shipyard in Bremerhaven) were built new cabins and lounges.
The list of other stretched (elongated) cruise ships includes the fleetmates Balmoral, Boudicca and Braemar, also the MSC Cruises ships Armonia, Lirica, Opera, the Phoenix Reisen’s Albatros and the Royal Caribbean’s Enchantment of The Seas.
Cruise itinerary program
Boudicca itinerary program is based on Mediterranean and Northern European cruises with UK departures from Southampton, Liverpool, Dover to the Arctic (North Cape), Norwegian Fjords, Canary Islands, British Isles, North Africa.
Boudicca has a total of 462 cabins (of which 102 Suites, 57 Balcony rooms, 64 Inside) in 21 grades. Most Boudicca staterooms are 160-200-sq.foot Oceanview rooms (191). 4 are the wheelchair accessible cabins. The largest aboard Boudicca are the Premier Suites (550 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The main dining room on Boudicca is divided into 3 venues: Four Seasons, Heligan and Tintagel. While breakfast is typically open seating, there are 2 seatings for lunch and dinner. Food display counters are offered for guests to help themselves for breakfast and lunch. Fred Olsen Cruise Lines features above-average cuisine. A number of popular British pub standards are offered, such as bangers and mash, spotted dick and toad in the hole. Breakfast buffets are quite repetitious. Self-serve deck buffets are provided at the Poolside Café and fast food items - at the Marquee Bar.
Follows the complete list of Boudicca restaurants and food bars.
- Main Dining Room Restaurants (Tintagel, Four Seasons, and the smallest Heligan Room; all offer open-seating buffet Breakfast (7:30 - 9:30 am) and Lunch (12:00 - 2 pm; Dinner is waiter-served, with two fixed seatings at 6:15 pm and 8:00 pm)
- Secret Garden Cafe (alternative buffet-style restaurant, open-seating; offers Breakfast 7:00 - 9:30 am, Brunch 10:30 - 11:30 am, Lunch 12:30 - 2:30 pm, Afternoon Tea 3:30 - 4:30 pm, Dinner 6:30 - 9 pm and Supper Club 11:30 pm - 12:30 am; also features a 24-hour open tea-coffee station)
- The Grill restaurant (former Poolside Cafe; alternative, buffet-style venue for breakfast and lunch; offers al-fesco dining)
- Marquee Bar (casual restaurant for lunch; al-fresco dining, with large, floor-ceiling panoramic windows; serves the pool area with alcoholic/non-alcoholic drinks).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Boudicca was "stretched" in the early 80's with the addition of a 91-foot midsection, and while the cruise liner is still keeping a classic profile, she has gained a significant amount of open-air sunbathing area on the top deck. In 2006 Boudicca underwent a renovation to bring the ship in line with the fleet's understated, old-world style. In January 2011, the vessel went into dry dock, during which the windowless gym was moved up to Deck 10, allowing more free space on Deck 4 for new inside cabins. The retail outlet Port Store was added. Carpets were replaced throughout the vessel, and enclosed lifeboats were mounted.
Follows the complete list of Boudicca lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Port Shop (duty-paid, sells essentials, hats, swimwear, toiletries, beachwear, sweets, books, snacks)
- Photo Gallery & Shop (offers digital images printing/transferring; personal video making; sells photo and video equipment at duty-free prices)
- The Heligan Room doubles as Arts & Crafts Room - during drydock 2018, Heligan Room was converted into "Indian Ocean Restaurant".
- The Iceni Room; Bar & Lounge; Cafe Venus
- Neptune Lounge (400-seat, ship’s theater & main entertainment venue for grand-style show productions in the evenings at 8:45 pm and 10:45 pm; during the day serves the Fred Olsen enrichment program, with various lectures and seminars, multimedia presentations, dance classes, workshops, bridge lectures, cards playing tournaments)
- Boutique Shops (duty-free luxury gifts, perfumes, cosmetics, fashion clothing, watches, fine jewelry, Fred Olsen logo merchandise)
- Library Lounge; Internet Room; Card Room (bridge-playing club lounge); Casino
- Bookmark Cafe (a la carte priced patisserie; offers luxury chocolates, specialty coffees, hand-made chocolates)
- Morning Light Pub (features stand-up comedy acts, live music performances)
- Lido Lounge & Bar (live piano performances; transforms into a disco in the late hours)
- Pool Deck area (swimming pool, 2 whirlpools, exercise pool, sunbathing area)
- Fitness Centre (Wellness complex; there is no Spa, but the ship offers Sauna Rooms and Treatment Rooms for massages)
- The Gymnasium (gym room, with floor-ceiling windows, modern equipment; hosts various exercise and dance classes)
- Beauty Salon (part of the Wellness Centre; offers hairdresser/barber services, facial/body treatments, manicure/pedicure, massages)
- Observatory Lounge (indoor observation lounge with piano, glass dancefloor, panoramic windows for 270-degree views; serves Afternoon Tea)
- Golf Nets; Tennis Court; Deck Games area (shuffleboard, quoits, darts, tennis tables, board games, jigsaw puzzles); Walking Track.
- On May 25, 1972, the vessel was launched as Royal Viking Sky, and on June 5, 1973 entered service for Royal Viking Line.
- mv Boudicca cruise ship was built as "Royal Viking Sky" in 1973 for the company Nordenfjeldske Dampsibsselskap and was chartered to the Royal Viking Line. Prior to entering service with Fred Olsen, the vessel has also chartered to the NCL Norwegian Cruise Line (as "ms Sunward"), Birka Cruises (as "Birka Queen"), Princess Cruises (as Golden Princess /link to 2001-built ship), Star Cruises (as "SuperStar Capricorn"), Hyundai Merchant Marine (as "Hyundai Keumgang") and also to Iberocruceros (as "Grand Latino").
- In the early 80's, the Boudicca ship was "stretched" with an additional 91 ft long midsection. The refit added a vast open-air sunbathing space in the middle of its top deck. The vessel underwent a major refit for bringing it in line with the Fred Olsen fleet's old-world style, right after it was acquired in 2005. In 2011, the ship went into drydock for another refit that changed the place of the windowless gym to Deck 10, thus making space for 17 new cabins on Deck 4. The Port Shop (a retail outlet) was also added, enclosed lifeboats were fixed, carpets were replaced throughout.
- MS Boudicca started operations for Fred Olsen in 2010, replacing in the fleet MS Black Prince (former ferry ship, built 1966, scrapped in 2009).
- "Boudicca" is the name of the heroic queen-warrior of the British Iceni tribe. Boudicca, like all other Fred Olsen liners, is known for her classically British feel. Passengers tend to be 50+, mainly British.
- Fred Olsen Cruise Line also offers an all-inclusive cruise package upgrade (additional fixed price PP per day) and UK fly cruise deals to Canary Islands (year-round discounted airfare from Southampton, England).
- Brochure 2018-2019 ("Venture to the four corners of the world") included two World Cruises - 107-night (MS Black Watch, departing from Southampton on November 12, 2019, prices from GBP 9,850 pp) and company's ever-longest itinerary - 168-night (on Boudicca), departing October 3, 2019, prices from GBP 15,000 pp).
South Africa cruise itineraries 2018
In 2018, mv Boudicca will offer a new South Africa cruise itinerary program operated with UK to South Africa fly-cruise deals. The ship's fares will be inclusive of flights from London (or Manchester) to Cape Town (departure port).
- The 14-night round-trip itinerary includes overnight stays in Port Elizabeth, Richards Bay and Durban.
- The 3-night stay in Cape Town offers as tour options Scale Table Mountain (cable car ride), wine tours (Stellenbosch, Constantia), Camps Bay strolling, visiting the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront complex and the Newlands (cricket ground), Cape Town Harley Davidson bike tour, boating, shark diving, whales-dolphins watching.
Boudicca - user reviews and comments
Photos of BoudiccaAdd Photo
Boudicca ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Holidaymakers who are looking to explore Iceland and Greenland can now benefit from Fred Olsen's free door-to-door transfers up to 90 miles on 5...August 17, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen's customers can book a seaplane tour over Abu Dhabi cityscape, kayak in the waters of Qatar's Pearl, or explore Petra City - one of the 7...August 12, 2018
- Cruise Industry
A 168-night voyage is set to be the longest itinerary in the history of Fred Olsen Cruise Lines. The Grand Voyage aboard mv Boudicca departing in...August 3, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines launched ‘Free Flights & Transfers’ promotion on 6 of its exotic fly-cruises to the Caribbean, Indian...July 29, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Line’s ms Boudicca is undergoing an extensive refit from Saturday, March 17, at Blohm + Voss shipyard in Hamburg. The cruise...March 18, 2018
- Cruise Industry
The Court of Appeal has ruled: UK holidaymakers who fell ill onboard the Fred Olsen cruise ship are entitled to compensation. A total of...August 2, 2016
- show more news
Other Fred Olsen cruise ships
The below listed Boudicca cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Fred Olsen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Jun 21||9 days, round-trip German Waterways with Kiel Week||Dover|
|2018 Aug 08||16 days, round-trip Iceland adventure with Greenland||Dover|
|2018 Aug 24||5 days, round-trip Cruising the Seine||Dover||$949|
|2018 Aug 29||7 days, round-trip Scenic Fjords of Norway||Dover||$1099|
|2018 Sep 05||14 days, one-way from Dover to Aqaba||Dover|
|2018 Sep 20||27 days, one-way from Aqaba to Colombo||Aqaba||$4649|
|2018 Sep 20||13 days, one-way from Aqaba to Abu Dhabi||Aqaba||$1199|
|2018 Oct 04||13 days, one-way from Abu Dhabi to Colombo||Abu Dhabi|
|2018 Oct 18||13 days, one-way from Colombo to Port Louis||Colombo||$1799|
|2018 Nov 01||14 days, round-trip Islands of the Indian Ocean||Port Louis||$2099|
|2018 Nov 15||14 days, round-trip Islands of the Indian Ocean||Port Louis||$3099|
|2018 Nov 29||28 days, round-trip Islands of the Indian Ocean & Zanzibar||Port Louis||$6099|
|2018 Nov 29||14 days, round-trip Islands of the Indian Ocean||Port Louis||$3199|
|2018 Dec 13||28 days, one-way from Port Louis to Colombo||Port Louis||$5849|
|2018 Dec 13||14 days, round-trip Indian Ocean Islands & Zanzibar||Port Louis||$2349|
|2018 Dec 18||16 days, round-trip Indian Ocean Christmas & New Year||Mahe Island||$4049|
|2018 Dec 27||14 days, one-way from Port Louis to Colombo||Port Louis||$1899|
|2019 Jan 10||34 days, one-way from Colombo to Dover||Colombo||$3899|
|2019 Feb 13||4 days, round-trip Valentine's in Antwerp with Amsterdam||Dover||$399|
|2019 Feb 18||8 days, round-trip In Search of 'The Lights' in Eight Nights||Newcastle|
|2019 Feb 26||8 days, round-trip In Search of 'The Lights' in Eight Nights||Newcastle|
|2019 Mar 09||14 days, round-trip Landscapes of the Canary Islands||Dover||$1399|
|2019 Mar 23||8 days, round-trip Mystery Cruise||Dover||$799|
|2019 Mar 31||7 days, round-trip Belgian Chocolates & Floral Holland||Dover||$699|
|2019 Apr 07||9 days, round-trip Exploring Portugal’s Highlights||Dover||$999|
|2019 Apr 16||9 days, round-trip Scenic Fjords of Norway||Dover||$1099|
|2019 Apr 25||22 days, round-trip Amalfi, Tuscany & the Italian Riviera||Dover||$2799|
|2019 May 17||16 days, round-trip Sun, Sea & the Monaco Grand Prix||Dover||$1999|
|2019 Jun 02||7 days, round-trip Waterways of Holland & Belgium||Dover||$899|
|2019 Jun 09||9 days, round-trip Fjords, Mountains & Glaciers||Dover||$1199|
|2019 Jun 18||13 days, round-trip Icelandic Wonders & Wildlife||Dover||$1849|
|2019 Jul 01||14 days, round-trip Baltic Song & Dance||Dover||$1899|
|2019 Jul 15||16 days, round-trip An Exploration of Remote Spitsbergen||Dover||$2299|
|2019 Jul 31||7 days, round-trip Fjords, Mountains & Glaciers||Dover||$999|
|2019 Aug 07||16 days, round-trip The Fjords of Greenland||Dover||$2399|
|2019 Aug 23||5 days, round-trip French River Cruising in Five Nights||Dover||$699|
|2019 Aug 28||9 days, round-trip Scenic Fjords of Norway||Dover||$1299|
|2019 Sep 06||9 days, round-trip French River Cruising with Bordeaux||Dover||$1199|
|2019 Sep 15||11 days, round-trip Scandinavian Islands with Stockholm||Dover||$1499|
|2019 Sep 26||7 days, round-trip Waterways of Holland & Belgium||Dover||$899|
|2019 Oct 03||168 days, round-trip World Cruise||Dover||$14999|
|2019 Oct 03||27 days, one-way from Dover to Cape Town||Dover||$3749|
|2019 Oct 03||6 days, one-way from Dover to Santa Cruz de Tenerife||Dover||$699|
|2019 Oct 10||34 days, one-way from Santa Cruz de Tenerife to Mahe Island||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$4599|
|2019 Oct 10||20 days, one-way from Santa Cruz de Tenerife to Cape Town||Santa Cruz de Tenerife||$2999|
|2019 Oct 31||27 days, one-way from Cape Town to Phuket||Cape Town||$4599|
|2019 Oct 31||13 days, one-way from Cape Town to Mahe Island||Cape Town||$2999|
|2019 Nov 14||26 days, one-way from Mahe Island to Benoa||Mahe Island||$4499|
|2019 Nov 14||13 days, one-way from Mahe Island to Phuket||Mahe Island||$2999|
|2019 Nov 28||41 days, one-way from Phuket to Cairns||Phuket||$6949|
|2019 Nov 28||12 days, one-way from Phuket to Benoa||Phuket||$2999|
|2019 Dec 11||42 days, round-trip Australia, Papua New Guinea & Indonesia||Benoa||$6799|
|2019 Dec 11||28 days, one-way from Benoa to Cairns||Benoa||$4999|
|2020 Jan 09||42 days, one-way from Cairns to Dubai||Cairns||$5999|
|2020 Jan 09||27 days, one-way from Cairns to Colombo||Cairns||$4499|
|2020 Jan 09||13 days, one-way from Cairns to Benoa||Cairns||$2999|
|2020 Jan 23||28 days, one-way from Benoa to Dubai||Benoa||$4449|
|2020 Jan 23||13 days, one-way from Benoa to Colombo||Benoa||$2999|
|2020 Feb 06||28 days, one-way from Colombo to Limassol||Colombo||$3899|
|2020 Feb 06||14 days, one-way from Colombo to Dubai||Colombo||$1749|
|2020 Feb 20||25 days, one-way from Dubai to Porto||Dubai||$3299|
|2020 Feb 20||14 days, one-way from Dubai to Limassol||Dubai||$2299|
|2020 Mar 05||14 days, one-way from Limassol to Dover||Limassol||$1399|
|2020 Mar 19||3 days, round-trip Dutch City Break||Dover||$299|
|2020 Mar 22||7 days, round-trip Cruising German Waterways||Dover||$799|
|2020 Mar 29||19 days, round-trip Four Fred's in Funchal with Cape Verde||Dover||$2399|