Fred Olsen Borealis current position
Specifications of Fred Olsen Borealis
|Year built||1997 / Age: 24|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||Fred Olsen & Co (Norway)|
|Operator||Fred Olsen Cruise Lines|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||237 m / 778 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||61849 gt|
|Passengers||1360 - 1685|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Sister-ships||MS Amsterdam (identical), MS Zaandam, MS Volendam|
|Former names||MS Rotterdam (Holland America)|
|Christened by||HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands (MS Rotterdam)|
Fred Olsen Borealis Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Jul 02||9 days, round-trip The Natural Wonders of Iceland||Liverpool|
|2021 Jul 11||8 days, round-trip Spectacular Fjordland Adventure||Liverpool|
|2021 Jul 19||10 days, round-trip France Spain||Liverpool||$2080|
|2021 Jul 29||8 days, round-trip Lochs Legends of Scotland||Liverpool||$1941|
|2021 Aug 06||8 days, round-trip Spellbinding Fjords of Norway||Liverpool||$1733|
|2021 Aug 14||9 days, round-trip Whales, Waterfalls Geysers of Iceland||Liverpool||$2218|
|2021 Aug 28||5 days, round-trip Scenic Scotland in Five||Liverpool||$1247|
|2021 Sep 02||24 days, round-trip Amalfi Coast, Tuscany Italian Riviera||Liverpool||$5132|
|2021 Sep 26||11 days, round-trip French Cities Spain||Liverpool||$2218|
|2021 Oct 07||11 days, round-trip Andalusia, Portugal the Algarve||Liverpool||$2080|
|2021 Oct 18||15 days, round-trip Exploring the Azores and Portugal||Liverpool||$2773|
|2021 Nov 02||14 days, round-trip Authentic Culture of Morocco||Liverpool||$2080|
|2021 Nov 16||16 days, round-trip In Search of the Aurora Borealis||Liverpool||$2773|
|2021 Dec 02||5 days, round-trip Five Spanish Escape||Liverpool||$900|
|2021 Dec 07||14 days, round-trip Canary Islands||Liverpool||$2080|
|2021 Dec 21||14 days, round-trip Canaries Christmas New Year||Liverpool||$3190|
|2022 Jan 04||105 days, round-trip World Cruise from Liverpool||Liverpool|
|2022 Jan 06||101 days, round-trip World Cruise||Southampton||$18037|
|2022 Jan 06||103 days, one-way from Southampton to Liverpool||Southampton|
|2022 Jan 06||78 days, one-way from Southampton to Dubai||Southampton||$14707|
|2022 Jan 06||49 days, one-way from Southampton to Sydney||Southampton||$9712|
|2022 Jan 06||17 days, one-way from Southampton to Puntarenas||Southampton||$2912|
|2022 Jan 23||84 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Southampton||Puntarenas||$14429|
|2022 Jan 23||61 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Dubai||Puntarenas||$12348|
|2022 Jan 23||32 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Sydney||Puntarenas||$5965|
|2022 Feb 24||52 days, one-way from Sydney to Southampton||Sydney||$7908|
|2022 Feb 24||29 days, one-way from Sydney to Dubai||Sydney||$4994|
|2022 Mar 25||23 days, one-way from Dubai to Southampton||Dubai||$3328|
|2022 Apr 17||2 days, one-way from Southampton to Liverpool||Southampton||$345|
|2022 Apr 19||17 days, round-trip Whales Volcanoes of Iceland The Azores||Liverpool||$3467|
|2022 May 06||7 days, round-trip Springtime Tulips Floriade Expo||Liverpool||$1386|
|2022 May 13||12 days, round-trip Discover Spanish Traditions||Liverpool||$2496|
|2022 May 25||9 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords Mighty Waterfalls||Liverpool||$1802|
|2022 May 26||9 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords Mighty Waterfalls||Belfast|
|2022 Jun 03||6 days, round-trip Exploring the Scenic Faroe Islands||Liverpool||$1247|
|2022 Jun 04||6 days, round-trip Exploring the Scenic Faroe Islands||Belfast|
|2022 Jun 09||8 days, round-trip Scenic Isles of Scotland||Liverpool||$1802|
|2022 Jun 10||8 days, round-trip Scenic Isles of Scotland||Belfast|
|2022 Jun 17||10 days, round-trip Whales, Waterfalls Geysers of Iceland||Liverpool||$2357|
|2022 Jun 18||9 days, one-way from Belfast to Liverpool||Belfast|
|2022 Jun 27||14 days, round-trip Vistas Volcanoes of Azores Madeira||Liverpool||$2773|
|2022 Jul 11||8 days, round-trip Norwegian Fjords, Glaciers Mountain Railways||Liverpool||$1871|
|2022 Jul 19||7 days, round-trip Scenic Isles of Scotland||Liverpool||$1663|
|2022 Jul 20||7 days, round-trip Scenic Isles of Scotland||Belfast|
|2022 Jul 26||14 days, round-trip Exploring Remote Iceland Greenland||Liverpool||$3606|
|2022 Jul 27||13 days, one-way from Belfast to Liverpool||Belfast|
|2022 Aug 09||15 days, round-trip Rugged Rural Canada||Liverpool||$3467|
|2022 Aug 24||5 days, round-trip Touring Scenic Ireland in||Liverpool||$1108|
|2022 Aug 29||7 days, round-trip Norways Mountains and Scenic Fjords||Liverpool||$1594|
|2022 Sep 05||11 days, round-trip Dramatic Coastlines of Iceland The Faroes||Liverpool||$2635|
|2022 Sep 16||12 days, round-trip Discover Spanish Traditions||Liverpool||$2496|
|2022 Sep 28||18 days, one-way from Liverpool to Belfast||Liverpool|
|2022 Sep 28||19 days, round-trip Canada in the Fall||Liverpool||$4439|
|2022 Oct 17||11 days, round-trip Scenic Islands of the Azores||Liverpool||$2218|
|2022 Oct 28||5 days, round-trip France Belgium City Break in Five||Liverpool||$969|
|2022 Nov 19||5 days, round-trip Irish City Break in Five||Liverpool||$900|
|2022 Nov 24||11 days, round-trip Discover Portugal with Madeira||Liverpool||$2218|
|2022 Dec 05||9 days, round-trip Explore Western Europe Cities Rivers||Liverpool||$1663|
|2022 Dec 14||8 days, round-trip Festive Spanish City Break||Liverpool||$1525|
|2022 Dec 22||14 days, round-trip Christmas Celebrations in the Canaries||Liverpool||$3606|
|2023 Jan 05||15 days, round-trip Borealis Searches for the Northern Lights||Liverpool||$3051|
|2023 Jan 20||14 days, round-trip Winter Warmth in the Canaries||Liverpool||$2635|
|2023 Feb 03||17 days, round-trip Civilisations of Cape Verde Morocco||Liverpool||$3051|
|2023 Feb 21||81 days, one-way from Liverpool to Southampton||Liverpool||$14291|
|2023 Feb 23||79 days, round-trip Around the World in 80 Days||Southampton||$13874|
Fred Olsen Borealis Review
Review of Fred Olsen Borealis
The 1997-built (as MS Rotterdam) cruise ship MS Borealis is the latest addition to the Fred Olsen Cruise Line's fleet - together with MS Bolette (fka MS Amsterdam). MS Rotterdam was the 1st R-class ship of Holland America Line, with sisterships MS Amsterdam (now Bolette), and also ms Zaandam and ms Volendam.
In July 2020, Carnival Corporation (via HAL-Holland America Line) sold 4 liners. MS Amsterdam (Bolette) and MS Rotterdam (Borealis) were sold to Fred Olsen. MS Maasdam and MS Veendam were sold to Seajets Ferries Greece. All scheduled for the 4 ships cruises were cancelled or assumed by other HAL ships.
- A total of 41x Holland America Rotterdam ship cruises were cancelled (November 8, 2020, through March 12, 2022), including 15-16-day Panama Canal (between Fort Lauderdale and San Diego), 16-day South America (between San Diego and Callao-Lima Peru), 32-day (San Diego to Hawaii, Tahiti Marquesas), 14-21-day Transatlantic repositioning (Fort Lauderdale to Rotterdam Holland), 7-14-21-day Norwegian Fjords from Rotterdam (2021, April 24 through June 26), 16-30-day Transatlantic repositioning (Rotterdam to Boston), 17-day roundtrip Boston to Greenland, Newfoundland and New England (2021, July 26 through August 29), 10-day Canada and New England (between Boston and Montreal, 2021 Sept 15 through Oct 5), 14-day repositioning (Montreal to Fort Lauderdale) and 14-day Panama Canal transition voyages (between Fort Lauderdale and San Diego, 2022 January 15 through March 12).
- On July 26, following the Suez Canal transition, Rotterdam and Amsterdam anchored off Port Limassol (Cyprus).
History - construction and ownership
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines Ltd is a Norwegian-owned and UK-based cruise shipping company, part of the Fred Olsen Group (Fred Olsen & Co / shipowner, headquartered in Oslo, Norway). The company is headquartered in Ipswich (Suffolk England) and is owned by Bonheur and Ganger Rolf. The company was founded in 1848 (in Hvitsten, Norway) by the three Olsen brothers (Petter, Andras, Fredrik Christian) who bought their first ships and established an international shipping company. Today Fred Olsen Group is into its 5th family generation and operates subsidiary companies specializing in cruise passenger shipping, trade, shipbuilding, aviation, offshore industries.
Fred Olsen Group wholly owns the companies Fred Olsen Cruise Lines Ltd, Fred Olsen Travel Ltd (worldwide tours and vacations via independent operators), Fred Olsen Marine Services AS (shipowner and vessel management), First Olsen Ltd (tanker ships), Dolphin Drilling Holdings Ltd (offshore drilling rigs), Fred Olsen Express (Canary Islands-based fast ferries / catamarans), Fred Olsen Freight Ltd (cargo shipping and air freight), Fred Olsen Windcarrier AS (transport and installation of offshore wind turbines), Fred Olsen Production AS (offshore petroleum production), Fred Olsen Renewables AS, SeaRoc Group Ltd (offshore and marine consultancy and contracting services), ZephIR Lidar UK (wind measurement devices), Ganger Rolf ASA (energy and shipping). Also part of Fred Olsen Group, the company Bonheur ASA manages several fully-owned companies, among which are NHST Media Group AS (newspapers and online media) and the real estate companies Stavenes Byggeselskap, Koksa Eiendom, Fred Olsens gate 2. Part of Fred Olsen Group is also Timex Group BV - parent of several watchmaking companies, including the subsidiaries in the USA, India and Philippines).
The 1320-passenger ship MS Rotterdam debuted in 1997 as the 6th in the line of Holland America flagships. The first Rotterdam set voyage in 1872, beginning a Holland America tradition and reputation that continued through the new Rotterdam, one of the most beloved vessels. Like her 5 classic ancestors, Rotterdam is more of a throwback to earlier cruise vessels compared to most mega-ships being built after 1995. However, with a maximum cruising speed of twenty-five knots and all of the stylish features expected of a relatively large vessel, the Rotterdam cruise ship successfully straddles the fine line among classic and modern. Size-wise, Rotterdam is solidly in the middle of the Holland America fleet, smaller than the line's Vista and Signature classes and carrying 700 passengers fewer than Eurodam, which is the largest in the lineup. Even on a full voyage, the cruise liner rarely feels crowded, except for the lunch rush at the casual Lido Restaurant on sea days and the irregular, fast-moving line in the La Fontaine basic dining room. Highlights of the Rotterdam cruise ship experience include some of the widest "standard" rooms afloat; a high percentage of outside cabins that feature balconies; upscale alternative dining venues in the Pinnacle Grill; and the Explorations Cafe - a library, Internet cafe and coffee bar wrapped into one popular hangout.
Cruise itinerary program
Holland America MS Rotterdam itinerary program was based on European (Mediterranean and Baltic) and Asian cruises.
Fred Olsen Borealis itineraries went on sale in mid-September 2020. The inaugural cruise program 2021-2022 includes almost exclusively itineraries out of homeport Liverpool England. MS Borealis took on the existing program originally planned for the retired (in August 2020) MS Black Watch, plus 5 new itineraries.
The ship's maiden voyage is a 6-night "Scottish Lochs and Isles", follows a 5-night "Irish Capitals and Scottish Scenery" itinerary, before the liner goes to the Mediterranean, Iceland, Norway and other popular destinations. Program's highlights include:
- (maiden voyage/CANCELLED) 6-night "Scottish Lochs and Isles" from Liverpool was planned for April 23, 2021. Prices started from GBP 600 per person. Call ports included Liverpool, Belfast, scenic cruising (Loch Torridon, Loch Broom, Loch Eriboll), Lerwick, Kirkwall, Liverpool.
- (maiden voyage/CANCELLED) 7-night "Sailing Around Iconic Ireland" (May 22, 2021) was roundtrip from Liverpool to Dublin, Cobh-Cork, Galway, Killybegs and Belfast, with prices from GBP 1200 per person.
- (inaugural cruise) 9-night "The Natural Wonders of Iceland" (July 2, 2021) is roundtrip from Liverpool to Iceland's ports Seydisfjordur, Akureyri, Isafjordur and Reykjavik, with prices from GBP 1595 pp.
- 16-night "In Search of Aurora Borealis" (Norway) departs from Liverpool on November 16, 2021. Prices start from GBP 2000 per person. Ports of call are Liverpool, Belfast, Alesund, Arctic Circle crossing, Tromso, Alta, Hammerfest, Narvik, Trondheim, Liverpool.
- 14-night "Canaries Christmas and Funchal Fireworks" departs from Liverpool on December 21, 2021. Prices start from GBP 2300 per person. Ports of call are Liverpool, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Arrecife, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, San Sebastian de la Gomera, Funchal, Liverpool.
Customers who booked by September 30 (2020) any Fred Olsen Borealis cruises 2021-2022 received free shipboard gratuities and up to GBP 100 per person in OBC (onboard credit).
On October 1, 2020, Fred Olsen announced a World Cruise on MS Borealis (departing roundtrip out of the UK in January 2022) that visits a total of 37 call ports. "Around the World Voyage 2022" can be booked as Liverpool roundtrip (104-days itinerary, departs on January 4) and as Southampton roundtrip (100-days itinerary, departure January 6). Prices started from GBP 10450 (Liverpool) and GBP 10000 (Southampton).
- Signature destinations include Suez Canal transit, Panama Canals full transit, North America, Pacific Ocean islands (Hawaii, Papua New Guinea, Great Barrier Reef), Australia and New Zealand (3-day Sydney NSW overnight stay), Singapore, Dubai.
- Bookings made by October 31, 2020, received up to GBP 600 in OBC (onboard credit per cabin).
- Besides the full itinerary, World Voyage 2022 is available for booking in smaller segments (17- to 84-days in length).
MS Rotterdam/Borealis staterooms ((742 total) include 232 Suites, 39 Balcony and 125 Inside, in all 40 cabin grades (also "Lanai" catagory). Most cabins are 140-320-ft2 Oceanviews (346). Around 28% of the passenger accommodations have private step-out balconies. Wheelchair-accessible cabins are 26. The largest are the Pinnacle Suites/Owners Suite (940 ft2 / 87 m2 plsu 190 ft2 / 18 m2 terrace).
The ship also has Lanai staterooms (with sliding glass doors opening onto the Promenade Deck), Spa cabins (3, CQ oceanview), Spa suites (20, BQ).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
La Fontaine is ship's 2-level main restaurant venue, which serves open-seating breakfast and lunch, as well as a blend of flexible and set-seating restaurant-style meals at dinner. Breakfast hours in the MDR vary but start as early as 7:00 a.m. on port days and 8:00 a.m. on sea days, wrapping up by 9:30 a.m. Breakfast fare includes bread, cereals, French toast, blueberry pancakes, corned beef hash, egg dishes and yoghurt parfaits. Portions are on the smaller side, so better opt for a second pastry. Lunch in the MDR is typically limited to an hour per day (from noon to 1:00 p.m. on sea days; closed when the ship is in port for an entire day). If you see a line of guests waiting to be seated, do not be deterred as the line moves fast and the tables are plenty. Lunch fare includes sandwiches, soups, light salads, fish and heartier entrees.
Follows the complete list of ms Rotterdam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (88-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into "An Evening at le Cirque" once per cruise via a partnership with "NYC Le Cirque" French restaurant.
- La Fontaine Restaurant (684-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options - 2 fixed seatings or "Any Time" dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- King's / Queen's Room (La Fontaine restaurant annexe, reservations-only; for private dining)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (418-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annexe; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required)
- Slice (Italian Pizzeria, poolside).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
On most nights, ms Rotterdam has two Las Vegas-style shows in Queen's Lounge, which features a main floor on Deck 4 and a balcony on Deck 5. Queen's Lounge is also used for events like the Crew Show at the end of each cruise, where the dining-room stewards, housekeeping staff and other crew members entertain the passengers. The Wajang Theatre offers feature films with cookies, cappuccino and popcorn. It's also used for lectures and culinary demonstrations. Rotterdam boasts a piano bar, a band or a DJ at night in Crow's Nest, other live performances in various locations, and sports on TV in Mix Spirits & Ales sports bar. Cabin entertainment consists of a flat-screen TV with DVD player. MS Rotterdam also has a casino and activities such as art auctions, bingo and games (including shuffleboard, bridge, hockey-slapshot competitions). Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Rotterdam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- The Showroom at Sea (557-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America Line's enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen's Room (La Fontaine annexe used as a meeting room; hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (124-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (110-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- MIX Lounge (sectioned into three parts - Mix Champagne wine bar, Mix Martini cocktail bar and Mix Spirits & Ales sports bar)
- Casino (served by the Mix Lounge's sports bar)
- Hudson Room (75-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Explorations Cafe (65-seat speciality coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as the ship's Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (95-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (17-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 5 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; The Retreat Pool area
- Crow's Nest (250-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
Fred Olsen Borealis - user reviews and comments
Photos of Fred Olsen BorealisAdd Photo
Fred Olsen Borealis ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The UK-based Fred Olsen Cruise Lines on April 9 celebrated 1 year since it set sail on its first Virtual Cruise. The company is looking ahead to a...April 12, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines became the latest company to announce UK domestic sailings for the summer months. The company plans a restart in July 2021...March 18, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines unveiled a new programme of cruising for 2022-2023 as the company gears up for a return to sailing, with a total of 126 new...March 13, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The UK-based passenger shipping company Fred Olsen Cruise Lines announced it will be extending its pause in operations through July 2021 "in light of...February 4, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The UK-based company Fred Olsen Cruise Lines pushed back its restart date from April 23 to May 22, 2021. The company's first voyage will now be...January 13, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines is closing 2020 by reflecting on the very best of the year, which included a host of awards, a Virtual Cruising programme as...December 31, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines introduced a new voyage to the Balkan Peninsula in 2022 aboard MS Bolette ("MS Amsterdam" when operated by Holland America...December 25, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines announced revised ‘back in service’ dates for its 4-strong ocean fleet, as the line prepares for cruising next...December 17, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Line's MS Braemar ship is scheduled to depart on a 10-night culture-themed itinerary to the lost lands of Prussia in August 2022...December 12, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Fred Olsen Cruise Lines announced further details of its 2022 itinerary program, with 2 new cruises available for booking: "Canada in the Fall" and...November 25, 2020
- show more news
Other Fred Olsen Cruise Lines cruise ships
Fred Olsen Borealis Wiki
The vessel was built at Fincantieri's Marghera Shipyard (Fincantieri CN Italiana SpA, Venice Italy) under yard number 5980. The ship was launched (floated out from drydock) on December 23, 1996) and was delivered to the shipowner (Holland America Line NV / subsidiary of Holland-America Line Westours Inc) on November 1, 1997. The ship's christening ceremony was held on November 6, in Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale FL). The Inaugural Cruise (Maiden Voyage) was on November 11. Ship's Godmother was HRH Princess Margriet of the Netherlands. "MS Rotterdam VI" is HAL's 6th liner with this name. Around USD 2 million is the worth of the onboard fine art-antiques collection.
Originally, the ship was powered by 5x Sulzer marine diesel engines (model 16ZAV40S / 16-cylinder, 4-stroke) with combined output 57,7 MW.
In July 2020, the vessel was sold to Fred Olsen Cruise Lines (shipowner is Fred Olsen & Co / based in Oslo, Norway), to be named "MS BOREALIS" and Norway-flagged (registered in Oslo). For Holland America, MS Rotterdam was Holland-flagged (MMSI number 246167000) and registered in Rotterdam.
Fred Olsen Borealis World Cruise 2023
In early-March 2021, Fred Olsen announced the "Around the World in 80 Days" itinerary themed on Jules Verne's novel "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873-published). The 80-day world cruise celebrates the novel's 150th anniversary and will visit many of the ports visited by the novel's protagonist Phileas Fogg. Among the planned seaports are Mumbai India, China's Hong Kong and Shanghai, San Francisco CA USA. The visit to Safaga (port to Luxor) will coincide with the 100-year anniversary of the Tutankhamen Tomb's discovery. Japanese ports will be visited during Japan's cherry blossom season. The 80-day voyage also features Panama Canal and Suez Canal transits.
What is known so far is that MS Borealis departs from England in February 2023, with two roundtrip options available from England - Southampton and Liverpool. The itinerary (dates and ports) will be announced on March 5, 2021. As a promo offer is offered GBP 500 per person in OBC (onboard credit).
Fred Olsen Borealis World Cruise 2022
On October 1, 2020, Fred Olsen announced a World Cruise on MS Borealis (departing roundtrip out of the UK in January 2022) that visits a total of 37 call ports. "Around the World Voyage 2022" can be booked as Liverpool roundtrip (104-days itinerary, departs on January 4) and as Southampton roundtrip (100-days itinerary, departure January 6).
Signature destinations include Suez Canal transit, Panama Canals full transit, North America, Pacific Ocean islands (Hawaii, Papua New Guinea, Great Barrier Reef), Australia and New Zealand (3-day Sydney overnight stay), Singapore, Dubai.
"101 days Around the World" itinerary
Besides the full itinerary, World Voyage 2022 is available for booking in smaller segments (17- to 84-days in length). Prices started from GBP 10450 (Liverpool roundtrip) and GBP 10000 (Southampton roundtrip).
Bookings made by October 31, 2020, received up to GBP 600 in OBC (onboard credit per cabin).
(Holland America) MS Rotterdam refurbishment 2017 review
During October 2017 drydock (done at Freeport Bahamas) the Rotterdam vessel received the following Suite cabin upgrades:
- furnishings (sofas, chairs, headboards), carpeting, wall coverings, privacy curtains, draperies, bed runners, bed skirts, (vanity), new make-up vanities (quartz stone tops, modern lighting), dressers, dressing tables, nightstands, LED reading lights, wardrobes (with lighted closet rod)
- cabin decors and amenities (espresso coffee machine, binoculars, free mimosas with in-cabin breakfasts)
- USB outlet (on the bed's headboard), power outlets, LED ceiling lights
- BOSE SoundDock (iPod stations) were added only in PS-Pinnacle Suites.
- interactive HDTV system (new wall-mounted smart TVs with Internet capabilities and free movies on demand)
- All Suite bathrooms were also renovated.
- Standard cabin upgrades included new (wall-mounted) smart HDTVs in all staterooms.
Rotterdam ship's 2017 refurbishment was part of Holland America Line's USD 300 million fleet renovation program (scheduled for 2016-2018) that also included updating onboard entertainment, dining and suites fleetwide.
In 2016, Holland America updated MS Rotterdam's shipboard programming (enrichment, entertainment and children) replacing the old "Dancing With the Stars" with "BBC Earth" content.
The ship's theatre lounge started hosting daily expert lectures, presentations, a nature-themed game show with BBC Earth screenings and introductions by the crews that filmed these series. A signature concert in the evenings was based on the "Frozen Planet" program (polar regions-themed) - a spectacular multimedia show with live musicians.
The ship's children (Club HAL) facilities featured an explorer trail, workshops (including on journalism and filming), fact shows (animals, dinosaurs).
Fred Olsen Borealis User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review