ms Zaandam current position
Specifications of ms Zaandam
|Year built||2000 / Age: 20|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||202 m / 663 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||61396 gt|
|Passengers||1432 - 1718|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Sister-ships||MS Volendam (identical), MS Amsterdam, MS Rotterdam|
|Christened by||Olsen Twins (Ashley and Mary-Kate)|
ms Zaandam Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Oct 31||17 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$1749|
|2020 Nov 17||32 days, round-trip Hawaii, Tahiti Marquesas||San Diego||$4399|
|2020 Dec 19||14 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$2399|
|2021 Jan 02||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$899|
|2021 Jan 02||21 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1809|
|2021 Jan 12||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Wayfarer||Fort Lauderdale||$999|
|2021 Jan 12||25 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$2469|
|2021 Jan 23||14 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2021 Feb 06||17 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$2199|
|2021 Feb 23||18 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$2299|
|2021 Mar 13||17 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$2099|
|2021 Mar 30||18 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$2199|
|2021 Apr 17||14 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal||Fort Lauderdale||$1299|
|2021 May 01||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$799|
|2021 May 08||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$899|
|2021 May 15||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$899|
|2021 May 22||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$899|
|2021 May 29||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$999|
|2021 Jun 05||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$999|
|2021 Jun 12||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$999|
|2021 Jun 19||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$999|
|2021 Jun 26||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$999|
|2021 Jul 03||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$999|
|2021 Jul 10||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$999|
|2021 Jul 17||16 days, one-way from Boston to Rotterdam||Boston||$5699|
|2021 Jul 17||35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings||Boston||$10099|
|2021 Aug 02||19 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Boston||Rotterdam||$6599|
|2021 Aug 21||7 days, round-trip Historic Coasts||Boston||$1099|
|2021 Aug 28||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston|
|2021 Sep 04||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1099|
|2021 Sep 11||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1199|
|2021 Sep 18||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1299|
|2021 Sep 25||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1299|
|2021 Oct 02||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1299|
|2021 Oct 09||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1299|
|2021 Oct 16||11 days, one-way from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale||Montreal||$1399|
|2021 Nov 06||14 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2021 Nov 20||14 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$1599|
|2021 Dec 04||14 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$1499|
|2022 Mar 18||14 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$1799|
|2022 Apr 01||14 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$1799|
ms Zaandam Review
Review of ms Zaandam
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 61,396-ton, 1,440-passenger cruise ship ms Zaandam (named after a city in Holland), boasts an atrium filled with signature sculpture. Ship's Lower Promenade Deck is wraparound. Most public spots are positioned on three decks. There are also three banks of lifts (and only two on Statendam-class ships). Zaandam's deck plan is similar to those of Rotterdam and Amsterdam, but Zaandam and sister ship Volendam lack the horsepower (and the twin funnels) of the co-flagships of the line. Uniquely, Zaandam was originally planned to serve as Holland America's bid to attract younger travellers. The vessel's godmothers are the Olsen twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley, known to television fans of the late '80s and early '90s from "Full House" and to moviegoers in the years since. Zaandam sports a collection of rock 'n' roll memorabilia which would do credit to Hard Rock Cafe: e.g., a guitar signed by the Rolling Stones.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Zaandam itinerary program is based on Alaska voyages from Vancouver BC and Anchorage/Seward AK during the summer months. The ship also operates on South America cruises from Argentina and Chile, as well as on Panama Canal repositioning sailings.
MS Zaandam has a total number of 716 cabins (of which 197 Suites, no Balcony, 136 Inside rooms) in 27 grades. Most ms Zaandam staterooms are 140-320-sq.foot oceanview rooms (383). 28% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 22 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Zaandam are the Pinnacle Suites (935 ft2).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The 2-story Rotterdam Restaurant (ship's Main Dining Room), is located aft and surrounded with windows. It serves open-seating breakfast and lunch and features plenty of small tables for passengers who prefer to dine a deux. MS Zaandam also provides a 22-dish, vegetarian menu for lunch and dinner, consisting of salads, soups, entrees and appetizers. Options include dishes like Vietnamese vegetable spring rolls, portobello mushroom and chipotle quesadillas, spicy lentil and garbanzo salad. The Pinnacle Grill is ship's extra tariff restaurant. It is open for lunch ($15 service charge) and dinner ($30), and offers a Northwest menu featuring Pacific Rim salads and appetizers, grilled aged beef, salmon, chicken and desserts.
Follows the complete list of ms Zaandam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (88-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via a partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (792-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- King’s Room (Rotterdam restaurant annexe, reservations-only; for private dining)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (394-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annexe; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
One of HAL's Signature of Excellence enhancements is the installation of a new demonstration kitchen in Wajang Theater. Its program is provided in conjunction with Food & Wine magazine. Often, guest chefs from restaurants around the United States are onboard to give workshops and demonstrations. If no "celebrity" chef is available, Zaandam's own chefs host the classes, some of which are free and open to all. However, the more hands-on and intimate classes have to be reserved and are not free of charge. Wajang Theatre also features a movie three times per day. The Mondriaan Lounge is the production shows' venue. It also hosts enrichment lectures and speciality acts. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Zaandam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- Mondriaan Lounge (574-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (34-seat meeting room; hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (125-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (75-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar)
- Piano bar (84-seat)
- Hudson Room (50-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Explorations Cafe (82-seat speciality coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (87-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (22-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (220-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Zaandam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms ZaandamAdd Photo
ms Zaandam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The Carnival Corporation-owned company HAL-Holland America Line announced that its cruise liners Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam and Veendam are sold...July 16, 2020
Citing the large volume of feedback on the subject, Bar Harbor Town Council on Tuesday, April 7, cancelled all scheduled cruise ship calls through...April 8, 2020
MS Zaandam that spent 12 days at sea with no ports willing to let the vessel dock, pulled into Fort Lauderdale harbour Thursday night. The warm...April 3, 2020
Donald Trump said that the USA “has to help” two Coronavirus (COVID-19)-hit cruise liners en-route to Florida amid warnings that more...April 2, 2020
Two cruise ships carrying passengers and crew from an ill-fated South American voyage are pleading with Florida officials to allow offloading the...March 31, 2020
HAL-Holland America Line's ms Zaandam cruise ship received permission to pass through Panama Canal en-route from South America to Florida USA (Port...March 29, 2020
Four passengers died onboard Holland America’s ms Zaandam and two people tested positive for the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the company announced...March 28, 2020
Passengers aboard the Holland America Line cruise ship, ms Zaandam, have been asked to remain in their staterooms after several crew members and...March 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Holland America Line’s 2021 Canada and New England program includes 3 new voyages to Greenland. From April through October, passengers can...January 18, 2020
Three cruise ships were scheduled to dock in Charlottetown (Prince Edward Island, Canada) on Wednesday, October 2, but two of them canceled their...October 3, 2019
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Zaandam Wiki
Zaandam is Holland America's 3rd R-class liner, with sisterships Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Volendam. This vessel is named after Zaandam Holland - the main city of North Holland's Zaanstad municipality and historically important riverport town on Zaan River. Ship's inaugural cruise/maiden voyage started on May 4, 2000 (6-day Caribbean itinerary). The vessel was christened by two godmothers (1986-born twin sisters, both US actresses) - Mary-Kate Olsen (fashion designer, actress, producer) and Ashley Fuller Olsen (fashion designer, businesswoman, author, actress, producer).
Ship's interior is music-themed, featuring a huge number of musical artifacts and memorabilia - guitars signed by celebrities (Rolling Stones, Santana, E.Clapton, Queen), all kinds of musical instruments (even a saxophone signed by Bill Clinton - the 42nd US President / 1993-2001), music-themed paintings and notes on the walls. In the Atrium area is the 2-deck high Dutch pipe organ.
ms Zaandam User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review