ms Zaandam current position
Specifications of ms Zaandam
|Year built||2000 / Age: 21|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||202 m / 663 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||61396 gt|
|Passengers||1432 - 1718|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Sister-ships||MS Volendam (identical), MS Amsterdam, MS Rotterdam|
|Christened by||Olsen Twins (Ashley and Mary-Kate)|
ms Zaandam Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 Dec 20||14 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$2399|
|2022 Jan 03||129 days, round-trip Grand World Voyage||Fort Lauderdale||$22499|
|2022 May 12||9 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal||Fort Lauderdale||$1189|
|2022 May 21||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1119|
|2022 May 28||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1119|
|2022 Jun 04||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1219|
|2022 Jun 11||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1219|
|2022 Jun 18||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1219|
|2022 Jun 25||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1219|
|2022 Jul 02||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1219|
|2022 Jul 09||16 days, one-way from Boston to Rotterdam||Boston||$5359|
|2022 Jul 09||35 days, round-trip Voyage Of The Vikings||Boston||$9499|
|2022 Jul 25||19 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Boston||Rotterdam||$6189|
|2022 Aug 13||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1319|
|2022 Aug 20||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1319|
|2022 Aug 27||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1319|
|2022 Sep 03||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1419|
|2022 Sep 10||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1419|
|2022 Sep 17||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1519|
|2022 Sep 24||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1519|
|2022 Oct 01||9 days, one-way from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale||Montreal||$1439|
|2022 Dec 20||14 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$2199|
|2023 Jan 03||128 days, round-trip Grand World Voyage||Fort Lauderdale||$23599|
ms Zaandam Review
Review of ms Zaandam
Launched in 2000, ms Zaandam is the 3rd Rotterdam (R-class) ship of Holland America, together with sister ship ms Volendam, and also ms Rotterdam (now Fred Olsen Borealis) and ms Amsterdam (now Fred Olsen Bolette).
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among the company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 61,396-ton, 1440-passenger cruise ship ms Zaandam (named after Holland's Zaandam City) boasts an atrium filled with signature sculpture. Ship's Lower Promenade Deck is wraparound. Most public spots are positioned on three decks. There are also three banks of lifts (and only two on Statendam-class ships). Zaandam's deck plan is similar to those of Rotterdam and Amsterdam, but Zaandam and sister ship Volendam lack the horsepower (and the twin funnels) of the co-flagships of the line. Uniquely, Zaandam was originally planned to serve as Holland America's bid to attract younger travellers. The vessel's godmothers are the Olsen twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley, known to television fans of the late-80s and early-90s from "Full House" and to moviegoers in the years since. Zaandam sports a collection of rock 'n' roll memorabilia which would do credit to Hard Rock Cafe: e.g., a guitar signed by the Rolling Stones.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Zaandam itinerary program is based on Alaskan voyages from homeports Vancouver BC and Anchorage AK/Seward AK during the summer months. The ship also operates on South American voyages leaving from Argentina and Chile, as well as on Panama Canal repositioning cruises.
In mid-August 2020, Holland America opened bookings for two Zaandam world cruises - "Grand Africa Voyage 2021" (71-day Africa circumnavigation) and "Grand World Voyage 2022" (128-day).
- "Grand World Voyage 2022" departs from Fort Lauderdale on January 3, visits 50 call ports (27 countries, 4 continents), features overnights in 9 port cities (Tokyo, Kobe, Tianjin-Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mumbai, Aqaba-Petra, Istanbul), late-night departures from 10 port cities (Hilo, Naha, Danang, Colombo, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Aqaba-Petra, Ashdod-Jerusalem, Haifa-Tel Aviv, Mykonos Island), scenic cruising (Amazon River, Kanmon Strait/Shimonoseki, Dardanelles Turkey), full transits (Panama Canal, Suez Canal), 2x equator crossings, 1x International Date Line crossing.
- "Grand Africa Voyage 2021" departs from Fort Lauderdale on October 10 and circumnavigates (clockwise) the continent. The unique itinerary visits 18 ports (plus San Juan Puerto Rico, Funchal Madeira Island, Souda-Chania Crete Island, Aqaba-Petra), with overnights in Aqaba, Mahe Seychelles, Zanzibar, Cape Town South Africa), late-night departures from Souda-Chania, Safaga, Richards Bay, Cape Town, Walvis Bay, San Juan Puerto Rico), shore excursions to Jozani Chwaka Bay NP (Tanzania's Jozani Forest on Zanzibar Island), Lokobe Strict Reserve (northwestern Madagascar), Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Park (Africa's oldest nature reserve), Aquila Private Game Reserve and Spa (South Africa), Abuko Nature Reserve (Gambia), Foret de Bandia (safari park).
- Early Booking Benefits (for full cruise bookings only) include OBC (onboard credit per cabin), prepaid gratuities, luggage delivery.
MS Zaandam has a total number of 716 cabins (of which 197 Suites, no Balcony, 136 Inside rooms) in 27 grades. Most ms Zaandam staterooms are 140-320-sq.foot oceanview rooms (383). 28% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 22 are the wheelchair-accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Zaandam are the Pinnacle Suites (935 ft2).
Implemented fleetwide in 2019, "Club Orange" program provides exclusive amenities to Suite passengers booked in categories Neptune and Pinnacle. Bonus perks by this program include:
- priority services (check-in, disembarkation, tendering, dining reservations)
- 24-hour concierge service (assistance, information, reservations)
- exclusive dining venue (serving complimentary Pinnacle Grill breakfast and Dining Room dinner, plus exclusive dishes)
- dedicated Concierge Desk (Guest Services and Tours)
- room service (a la carte breakfast menu with complimentary gourmet dishes - including smoked salmon, steak and eggs)
- sparkling wine (embarkation day), Club Orange tote bag, premium bathrobes (cabin use, available for monogramming and purchasing).
- Club Orange Restaurant is part of the Main Dining Room (designed as separate VIP dining section).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The 2-story Rotterdam Restaurant (ship's Main Dining Room), is located aft and surrounded with windows. It serves open-seating breakfast and lunch and features plenty of small tables for passengers who prefer to dine a deux. MS Zaandam also provides a 22-dish, vegetarian menu for lunch and dinner, consisting of salads, soups, entrees and appetizers. Options include dishes like Vietnamese vegetable spring rolls, portobello mushroom and chipotle quesadillas, spicy lentil and garbanzo salad. The Pinnacle Grill is ship's extra tariff restaurant. It is open for lunch ($15 service charge) and dinner ($30), and offers a Northwest menu featuring Pacific Rim salads and appetizers, grilled aged beef, salmon, chicken and desserts.
Follows the complete list of ms Zaandam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (88-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via a partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (792-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- King’s Room (Rotterdam restaurant annexe, reservations-only; for private dining)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (394-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annexe; operates as an Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
One of HAL's Signature of Excellence enhancements is the installation of a new demonstration kitchen in Wajang Theater. Its program is provided in conjunction with Food & Wine magazine. Often, guest chefs from restaurants around the United States are onboard to give workshops and demonstrations. If no "celebrity" chef is available, Zaandam's own chefs host the classes, some of which are free and open to all. However, the more hands-on and intimate classes have to be reserved and are not free of charge. Wajang Theatre also features a movie three times per day. The Mondriaan Lounge is the production shows' venue. It also hosts enrichment lectures and speciality acts. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Zaandam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- Mondriaan Lounge (574-seat theatre/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via a partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (34-seat meeting room; hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (125-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (75-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar)
- Piano bar (84-seat)
- Hudson Room (50-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Explorations Cafe (82-seat speciality coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (87-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (22-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (220-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Zaandam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms ZaandamAdd Photo
ms Zaandam ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Seven HAL-Holland America Line ships will explore the Caribbean during the 2022-2023 season, including the 2 newest Pinnacle Class liners, on...April 12, 2021
- Cruise Industry
In 2022 HAL-Holland America Line's boats ms Nieuw Statendam and ms Zaandam will be sailing along the East Coast of North America. Bookings are...March 30, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Three HAL-Holland America Line's World Cruises - Grand Africa Voyage 2022, Grand World Voyage 2023, and Grand South America and Antarctica Voyage...January 27, 2021
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line announced the company's 2021-2022 Caribbean program. With itineraries ranging from 7- to 21 days, 6 HAL cruise ships will...January 12, 2021
A male crew from the HAL-Holland America Line's ship ms Zaandam, currently anchored off the coast of Torbay UK (England), was medically evacuated on...January 11, 2021
- Cruise Industry
As HAL-Holland America Line continues to develop its plans to meet the "Framework for Conditional Sailing Order" (issued by the USA's CDC agency...January 7, 2021
- Cruise Industry
The Carnival Corporation-owned brands/subsidiary companies HAL-Holland America Line and Seabourn joined the sisterbrands Princess Cruises and P&O...November 24, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Five HAL-Holland America Line ships are scheduled to explore Europe in 2021, including ms Nieuw Rotterdam which is expected to debut at the height of...September 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
HAL-Holland America Line opened bookings for two of its epic explorations: the 2021 Grand Africa Voyage and the 2022 Grand World Voyage. Passengers...August 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The Carnival Corporation-owned company HAL-Holland America Line announced that its cruise liners Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Maasdam and Veendam are sold...July 16, 2020
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Zaandam Wiki
Zaandam is HAL-Holland America's 3rd R-class liner, with sisterships Amsterdam (now Fred Olsen Bolette), Rotterdam (now Fred Olsen Borealis), Volendam. This vessel is named after Zaandam Holland - the main city of North Holland's Zaanstad municipality and historically important riverport town on Zaan River. Ship's inaugural cruise/maiden voyage started on May 4, 2000 (6-day Caribbean itinerary). The vessel was christened by two godmothers (1986-born twin sisters, both US actresses) - Mary-Kate Olsen (fashion designer, actress, producer) and Ashley Fuller Olsen (fashion designer, businesswoman, author, actress, producer).
Ship's interior is music-themed, featuring a huge number of musical artefacts and memorabilia - guitars signed by celebrities (Rolling Stones, Santana, E.Clapton, Queen), all kinds of musical instruments (even a saxophone signed by Bill Clinton - the 42nd US President / 1993-2001), music-themed paintings and notes on the walls. In the Atrium area is the 2-deck high Dutch pipe organ.
In late-January 2021, HAL opened for booking three World Cruises leaving roundtrip from Florida USA - two on Zaandam (Africa Voyage 2022 and World Voyage 2022) and one on Volendam (South America and Antarctica 2023).
Early-booking promo bonuses include prepaid gratuities, unlimited luggage delivery (to/from Fort Lauderdale only, Suites-only), welcome gifts (1x bottle of sparkling wine), 1x complimentary shore excursion, Signature Internet Package (4000 minutes pp), in-cabin minibar drinks (4x bottles/suites-only), complimentary laundry-dry cleaning-pressing (Suites-only). Guests who paid in full by June 1st (the voyage's year) also received 3% discount pricing on the fare.
Holland America Zaandam 2023 Grand World Voyage
MS Zaandam's 127-day cruise departs on January 3, 2023, roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale with a westbound route. The itinerary visits 30 countries (a total of 61 ports) in the regions of the Caribbean (Caymans, Costa Rica, Panama), South Pacific (French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tonga, Australia-New Zealand), Indian Ocean (Mauritius, Reunion), Around Africa (Madagascar, Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Gambia, Senegal, Morocco), Atlantic and Northern Europe (Baltic, UK-Ireland).
The voyage offers 8 overnight port stays - in Panama City (Port Fuerte Amador), Papeete (Tahiti), Australia (Sydney NSW, Hobart Tasmania, Adelaide, Fremantle), Cape Town (South Africa), Amsterdam (Holland).
Holland America Zaandam 2022 Grand World Voyage
The 129-day westbound cruise visits 27 countries and a total of 48 ports (9 overnight port stays) in the regions of South America (also Brazil Amazon), Caribbean, North Pacific, Asia (including Japan, China, Singapore), Arabian Gulf, Europe (Mediterranean).
Priced started from USD 22500 per person with double occupancy.
|Date / Time||Port|
|03 Jan 17:00||Departing from Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale Florida|
|07 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Scarborough, Tobago|
|09 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Iles du Salut, French Guiana|
|11 Jan 06:00 - 10:00||Macapa, Brazil|
|12 Jan 11:00 - 18:00||Santarem, Brazil Amazon|
|13 Jan 07:00 - 14:00||Boca da Valeria, Brazil Amazon|
|14 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Manaus, Brazil Amazon|
|15 Jan 10:00 - 18:00||Parintins, Brazil Amazon|
|16 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Santarem, Brazil Amazon|
|20 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||St Georges, Grenada|
|22 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Oranjestad, Aruba Island, Dutch Antilles|
|24 Jan 05:00 - 05:00||Panama Canal|
|26 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Quepos, Costa Rica|
|30 Jan 08:00 - 17:00||Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Riviera|
|06 Feb 07:00 - 22:30||Hilo, Hawaii Island|
|07 Feb 08:00 - 20:00||Lahaina, Maui Island, Hawaii|
|08 Feb 07:00 - 17:00||Honolulu, Oahu Island, Hawaii|
|14 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Marshall Islands|
|17 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Chuuk Lagoon Islands, Micronesia|
|19 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Guam Island, Apra Harbor, Marianas USA|
|20 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Saipan Island, Marianas USA|
|24 Feb 08:00 - 17:00||Ishigaki Island, Sakishima, Japan|
|25 Feb 08:00 - 23:00||Naha, Okinawa Island, Japan|
|28 Feb 08:00 - 01 Mar 18:00 (overnight)||Tokyo, Japan|
|02 Mar 07:00 - 14:00||Shimizu, Shizuoka, Japan|
|03 Mar 08:00 - 04 Mar 17:00 (overnight)||Kobe, Osaka-Kyoto, Japan|
|06 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Fukuoka, Hakata, Japan|
|08 Mar 08:00 - 17:00||Dalian, China|
|09 Mar 08:00 - 10 Mar 18:00 (overnight)||Tianjin-Beijing, China|
|13 Mar 09:00 - 14 Mar 18:00 (overnight)||Shanghai, China|
|17 Mar 08:00 - 18 Mar 15:30 (overnight)||Hong Kong, China|
|20 Mar 08:00 - 23:00||Da Nang, Hue, Vietnam|
|22 Mar 06:00 - 18:00||Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam|
|24 Mar 08:00 - 25 Mar 17:00 (overnight)||Singapore|
|29 Mar 08:00 - 23:00||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|01 Apr 06:00 - 02 Apr 17:00 (overnight)||Mumbai, India|
|05 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Fujairah, UAE|
|06 Apr 07:00 - 23:00||Dubai, UAE|
|07 Apr 08:00 - 23:00||Abu Dhabi, UAE|
|09 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Muscat, Oman|
|11 Apr 08:00 - 17:00||Salalah, Oman|
|16 Apr 07:00 - 17 Apr 23:00 (overnight)||Aqaba-Petra, Jordan|
|19 Apr 06:00 - 06:00||Suez Canal, Egypt|
|20 Apr 08:00 - 23:00||Ashdod-Jerusalem, Israel|
|21 Apr 08:00 - 22:30||Haifa-Tel Aviv, Israel|
|23 Apr 08:00 - 18:00||Kusadasi-Ephesus, Turkey|
|24 Apr 16:00 - 25 Apr 16:00 (overnight)||Istanbul, Turkey|
|26 Apr 11:00 - 23:00||Mykonos Island, Greece|
|27 Apr 07:00 - 17:00||Piraeus-Athens, Greece|
|29 Apr 08:00 - 19:00||Naples, Italy|
|02 May 07:00 - 17:00||Malaga, Spain|
|05 May 08:00 - 17:00||Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel Island, Azores|
|12 May 07:00||Arriving in Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale Florida|
Full "Grand World Voyage 2022" early bookings (made by June 1, 2021) received up to USD 6760 pp in OBC (onboard credit) ranging from $500 (oceanview cabins) to $2000 (Pinnacle Suite).
ms Zaandam User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review