ms Zaandam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Zaandam
|Year built||2000 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 300 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||202 m / 663 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||61396 gt|
|Passengers||1432 - 1718|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Christened by||Olsen Twins (Ashley and Mary-Kate)|
Current itinerary of ms Zaandam
ms Zaandam current cruise is 40 days, one-way from Seattle to Rio de Janeiro. The itinerary starts on 24 Sep, 2018 and ends on 03 Nov, 2018.
Review of ms Zaandam
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
The 61,396-ton, 1,440-passenger cruise ship ms Zaandam (named after a city in Holland), boasts an atrium filled with signature sculpture. Ship's Lower Promenade Deck is wraparound. Most public spots are positioned on three decks. There are also three banks of lifts (and only two on Statendam-class ships). Zaandam's deck plan is similar to those of Rotterdam and Amsterdam, but Zaandam and sister ship Volendam lack the horsepower (and the twin funnels) of the co-flagships of the line. Uniquely, Zaandam was originally planned to serve as Holland America's bid to attract younger travelers. The vessel's godmothers are the Olsen twins, Mary-Kate and Ashley, known to television fans of the late 80's and early 90's from "Full House" and to moviegoers in the years since. Zaandam sports a collection of rock 'n' roll memorabilia which would do credit to Hard Rock Cafe: e.g., a guitar signed by the Rolling Stones.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Zaandam itinerary program is based on Alaska voyages from Vancouver BC and Anchorage/Seward AK during the summer months. The ship also operates on South America cruises from Argentina and Chile, as well as on Panama Canal repositioning sailings.
MS Zaandam has a total number of 716 cabins (of which 197 Suites, no Balcony, 136 Inside rooms) in 27 grades. Most ms Zaandam staterooms are 140-320-sq.foot oceanview rooms (383). 28% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 22 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Zaandam are the Pinnacle Suites (935 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
The 2-story Rotterdam Restaurant (ship's Main Dining Room), is located aft and surrounded with windows. It serves open-seating breakfast and lunch and features plenty of small tables for passengers who prefer to dine a deux. MS Zaandam also provides a 22-dish, vegetarian menu for lunch and dinner, consisting of salads, soups, entrees and appetizers. Options include dishes like Vietnamese vegetable spring rolls, portobello mushroom and chipotle quesadillas, spicy lentil and garbanzo salad. The Pinnacle Grill is ship's extra tariff restaurant. It is open for lunch ($15 service charge) and dinner ($30), and offers a Northwest menu featuring Pacific Rim salads and appetizers, grilled aged beef, salmon, chicken and desserts.
Follows the complete list of ms Zaandam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (88-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (792-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- King’s Room (Rotterdam restaurant annex, reservations-only; for private dining)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (394-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
One of HAL's Signature of Excellence enhancements is the installation of new demonstration kitchen in Wajang Theater. Its program is provided in conjunction with Food & Wine magazine. Often, guest chefs from restaurants around the Unite States are onboard to give workshops and demonstrations. If no "celebrity" chef is available, Zaandam's own chefs host the classes, some of which are free and open to all. However, the more hands-on and intimate classes have to be reserved and are not free of charge. Wajang Theatre also features a movie three times per day. The Mondriaan Lounge is the production shows' venue. It also hosts enrichment lectures and specialty acts. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Zaandam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- Mondriaan Lounge (574-seat theater/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (34-seat meeting room; hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (125-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (75-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar)
- Piano bar (84-seat)
- Hudson Room (50-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Explorations Cafe (82-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (87-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (22-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (220-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Zaandam wiki
- Holland America Zaandam ship is the line's 3rd R-class vessel. Her sisters are the Holland America ships Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Volendam. This vessel is named after the main city of the Zaanstad municipality, and a historically industrial important town on the River Zaan (North Holland). The ship's Maiden Voyage was on May 4, 2000 (6-day Caribbean), godmothers - Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (actresses).
- The Zaandam ship's interior design theme is music. It features a huge number of musical artifacts and memorabilia - guitars signed by celebrities (Rolling Stones, Santana, E.Clapton, Queen), all kinds of musical instruments (even a sax signed by Bill Clinton), music themed paintings and notes on the walls. In the Atrium area there is a 2-story high very classy Dutch pipe organ from the Baroque-era.
ms Zaandam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms ZaandamAdd Photo
ms Zaandam ship related cruise news
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is reporting an outbreak of norovirus onboard Holland America Line's cruise ship in Alaska. 73 people reported...June 23, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Watch ALE Heavylift performing a crankshaft exchange on ms Zaandam in Uruguay. The ship's old crankshaft was replaced with a new one...October 23, 2017
Work is being carried out to investigate what killed a juvenile fin whale discovered on bow of a cruise ship entering an Alaskan port. The cause of...May 31, 2016
- show more news
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Zaandam Itineraries
The below listed ms Zaandam cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Holland America fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Sep 24||40 days, one-way from Seattle to Rio de Janeiro||Seattle|
|2018 Sep 24||24 days, one-way from Seattle to San Antonio||Seattle|
|2018 Sep 25||39 days, one-way from Vancouver to Rio de Janeiro||Vancouver|
|2018 Sep 25||23 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Antonio||Vancouver|
|2018 Sep 29||35 days, one-way from San Diego to Rio de Janeiro||San Diego|
|2018 Sep 29||19 days, one-way from San Diego to San Antonio||San Diego|
|2018 Oct 18||16 days, one-way from San Antonio to Rio de Janeiro||San Antonio|
|2018 Nov 03||16 days, one-way from Rio de Janeiro to San Antonio||Rio de Janeiro||$1549|
|2018 Nov 19||13 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1599|
|2018 Dec 03||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1099|
|2018 Dec 17||21 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$3599|
|2019 Jan 08||22 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$4799|
|2019 Jan 30||21 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$4699|
|2019 Feb 21||15 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$2099|
|2019 Mar 08||12 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1599|
|2019 Mar 21||34 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale||Buenos Aires||$3349|
|2019 Mar 21||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1799|
|2019 Apr 04||20 days, one-way from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale||San Antonio||$1999|
|2019 Apr 24||10 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal||Fort Lauderdale||$1249|
|2019 May 04||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$999|
|2019 May 11||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1089|
|2019 May 18||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1099|
|2019 May 25||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1109|
|2019 Jun 01||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1249|
|2019 Jun 08||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1249|
|2019 Jun 15||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1249|
|2019 Jun 22||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1249|
|2019 Jun 29||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1249|
|2019 Jul 06||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1349|
|2019 Jul 13||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1349|
|2019 Jul 20||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1349|
|2019 Jul 27||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1349|
|2019 Aug 03||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1349|
|2019 Aug 10||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1349|
|2019 Aug 17||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1299|
|2019 Aug 24||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1299|
|2019 Aug 31||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1219|
|2019 Sep 07||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1379|
|2019 Sep 14||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1399|
|2019 Sep 21||7 days, one-way from Montreal to Boston||Montreal||$1459|
|2019 Sep 28||7 days, one-way from Boston to Montreal||Boston||$1399|
|2019 Oct 05||11 days, one-way from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale||Montreal||$1599|
|2019 Oct 16||33 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Rio de Janeiro||Fort Lauderdale||$4399|
|2019 Oct 16||17 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Antonio||Fort Lauderdale||$2449|
|2019 Nov 02||16 days, one-way from San Antonio to Rio de Janeiro||San Antonio||$2349|
|2019 Nov 18||16 days, one-way from Rio de Janeiro to San Antonio||Rio de Janeiro||$2249|
|2019 Dec 04||13 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1799|
|2019 Dec 18||22 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$4599|
|2020 Jan 09||21 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$4599|
|2020 Jan 31||22 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$4599|
|2020 Feb 22||13 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$2199|
|2020 Mar 07||31 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale||Buenos Aires||$4249|
|2020 Mar 07||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$2199|
|2020 Mar 21||17 days, one-way from San Antonio to Fort Lauderdale||San Antonio||$2449|