ms Volendam Review and Specifications
Specifications of ms Volendam
|Year built||1999 / Age : 19|
|Builder||Fincantieri (Marghera, Italy)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & PLC|
|Operator||Holland America Line|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||237 m / 778 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||61214 gt|
|Passengers||1432 - 1718|
|Decks with cabins||5|
|Christened by||Chris Evert|
Current itinerary of ms Volendam
ms Volendam current cruise is 15 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale. Prices start from USD 899 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 03 Nov, 2018 and ends on 18 Nov, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|03 Nov 17:00||Departing from San Diego, California|
|06 Nov 07:00 - 16:00||Puerto Vallarta, Mexico Riviera|
|08 Nov 08:00 - 14:00||Huatulco, Mexico Riviera|
|09 Nov 09:00 - 19:00||Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala|
|10 Nov 08:00 - 16:00||Corinto, Nicaragua|
|11 Nov 08:00 - 18:00||Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica|
|13 Nov||Panama Canal|
|14 Nov 12:00 - 18:00||Cartagena, Colombia|
|17 Nov 08:00 - 15:00||Half Moon Cay, Bahamas private island|
|18 Nov 07:00||Arriving in Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida|
Review of ms Volendam
History - construction and ownership
Holland America Line (HAL) is a Seattle-based cruise company owned by Carnival Corporation (shipowner). Between 1873-1989, HAL was a Dutch cargo and passenger shipping company operating regular Transatlantic crossings between Holland and the Americas. HAL was founded in 1873 as "Dutch-American Steamship Company" headquartered in Rotterdam Netherlands. In 1989, HAL was acquired by Carnival Corporation for around EUR 530 million. Among company's assets are the Westmark hotel chain (Alaska-Yukon), Worldwide Shore Services (warehouses-logistics) and Half Moon Cay (Caribbean private island).
When the 61,214-ton, 1,440-passenger cruise ship ms Volendam debuted in 1999, she had the highest cruiser capacity in the fleet of her owner, Holland America. In a move that seems old-fashioned now, Volendam proved her contemporaneity by being the first liner in the fleet to boast a dedicated Internet center with 8 satellite-connected computer stations. Going back on the Colonial past of its Dutch roots, Holland America Line has made it a practice during the years to hire Indonesian crew, touting their amiability and efficiency. There had been some solicitude about visa renewals for the Indonesians, but those problems seem to have straightened themselves out. Service staff are mainly Indonesian and Filipino. Most of the officers are European, mainly from Holland. There is one notable difference on Volendam, and this is the manner in which the crew members welcome and accommodate cruisers with physical challenges. Careful and genuinely caring, crew members help the passengers in wheelchairs and those with predicament walking when required, and there is never a sense of impatience or rushing. There are thirty wheelchairs onboard for passenger use.
Cruise itinerary program
MS Volendam itinerary program is based on Alaska cruises from Vancouver BC and Anchorage/Seward AK during the summer months. The ship also operates in Asia and Australia (departures from Hong Kong and Singapore).
MS Volendam has a total number of 717 cabins (of which 197 Suites, no Balcony, 136 Inside rooms) in 26 grades. Most ms Volendam staterooms are 175-255-sq.foot oceanview rooms (383). 28% of ship's accommodations have private balcony views. 23 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard ms Volendam are the Pinnacle Suites (935 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Dining options on ms Volendam are plentiful, and range from early morning continental breakfast to Indonesian-themed midnight buffet. Apart from regular restaurant service, hungry guests will also find afternoon tea, 24-hour room service and a pizza/hot dog/hamburger/taco/fajita station near the Lido pool (it's self-serve, from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.). Special diets, from diabetic to Kosher and low-carb, are easily accommodated, but advance notice is required. The 2-story Rotterdam Restaurant (ship's Main Dining Room), is located aft and surrounded with windows. It serves open-seating breakfast and lunch and features plenty of small tables for passengers who prefer to dine a deux. MS Rotterdam also provides a 22-dish, vegetarian menu for lunch and dinner, consisting of salads, soups, entrees and appetizers. Options include dishes like Vietnamese vegetable spring rolls, portobello mushroom and chipotle quesadillas, spicy lentil and garbanzo salad.
Follows the complete list of ms Volendam restaurants and food bars.
- Pinnacle Grill (84-seat reservations-only seafood/steakhouse restaurant with fine wines selection; free for passengers under 12 yo). The venue transforms into “An Evening at le Cirque” once per cruise via partnership with NYC “Le Cirque” French restaurant.
- Rotterdam Restaurant (792-seat, aft Dining Room; features open seating Breakfast and Lunch, two Dinner options – 2 fixed seatings or “Any Time” dining between 5:15 p.m. - 9 p.m.
- King’s Room (Rotterdam restaurant annex, reservations-only; for private dining)
- Terrace Grill (fast food pool bar; complimentary)
- Lido Restaurant (394-seat complimentary buffet restaurant; offers self-service Breakfast 6:00 a.m. -11 a.m., Lunch 11:30 p.m. - 2 p.m., Afternoon Tea, and Dinner 5:30 p.m. - 8 p.m.)
- Canaletto Restaurant (Lido Restaurant annex; operates as Italian restaurant for Dinner, reservations required).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The entertainment on ms Volendam is quite diverse, with nightly shows in the 574-seat, 2-tiered Frans Hals lounge (featuring HAL's Dancing With the Stars at Sea - guests volunteer to be partnered with dancers from ship's production staff and perform during the final show on the last night of sailing). Frans Hals is also the setting for the Marriage Game and a magician show. Instead of Broadway-style production shows, Volendam's dancers and singers put together a series of country and pop song revues. A perennial favorite of Holland America Line is the crew show, featuring folkloric presentations from the countries of these hardworkers. Other amenities include: complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("Club Hal"), cruise ship weddings, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry/Self-Serve Laundromats.
Follows the complete list of ms Volendam lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Atrium (3-deck high midship open-floor area with live performances)
- Promenade Deck, Walking Track (jogging is not permitted)
- Frans Hals Lounge (574-seat theater/main show lounge; also serves Holland America’s enrichment program (via partnership with BBC Earth)
- Queen’s Room (34-seat meeting room; hosts digital workshops via Microsoft partnership, computer classes, social networks, blogging, photo editing)
- Photo Gallery & Shop; Art Gallery
- Wine Tasting Bar, Gourmet Shops (bottles available for purchasing, wine sampling)
- Wajang Theatre & Culinary Arts Centre (124-seat cinema; offers culinary classes and cooking shows presented in demonstration kitchens)
- Atrium Terrace with boutiques; Atrium Shops (boutiques for duty-free tobaccos and liquor, perfumes, watches, clothing, HAL logo merchandise, souvenirs); Marabella Luxury Shop
- Ocean Bar (104-seat Atrium bar and lounge, with dance floor and stage for live performances)
- Casino (served by Casino Bar)
- Piano bar (84-seat)
- Hudson Room (50-seat meeting room; used as Cards Room)
- Explorations Cafe (65-seat specialty coffee bar and patisserie; also serves as ship’s Library and Online Centre/Internet computers room)
- Explorer’s Lounge & Bar (94-seat lounge with bar; classical concert performances)
- Neptune Lounge (22-seat club venue for Deluxe Suite and Pinnacle guests only)
- Fitness Center (gym with separate Aerobics Room); 2 jacuzzis
- Greenhouse Spa & Salon; Lido Pool area, served by Lido Bar and Terrace Grill; Sea View Pool area served by Sea View Bar
- Crow’s Nest (220-seat observation lounge; bar and dance floor; becomes disco at night)
- Tennis Court; Basketball Court; Shuffleboard
- Club HAL (kids lounge, complimentary youth programming)
- The Loft (teens club lounge area, with Video Games Arcade, computers, PlayStations; teen disco)
- The Oasis (40-seat teen-only outdoor area).
ms Volendam wiki
- Holland America Volendam cruise ship (named after a small town /a popular tourist attraction in North Holland) is the line's 2nd R-class vessel. Her sisters in the Holland America fleet are Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zaandam.
- The ship's Maiden Voyage was on November 12, 1999, godmother - Chris Evert (pro tennis player).
- The ship's interior design theme is flowers - fresh flowers and all kinds of floral motifs can be found throughout its public areas (fabrics, tapestries, huge vases) and also in staterooms. In its Atrium area, HAL cruise ship Volendam has a 3-story high multicolored glass sculpture (by L.Vistosi). This HAL ship's art collection includes pre-Columbian artifacts, and also authentic Renaissance fountains from Italy.
- 2013 is the year when the Volendam ship for the first time included in its itinerary program the Kangaroo Island, Australia. This is the AU's 3rd largest island - after Tasmania and Melville.
ms Volendam - user reviews and comments
Photos of ms VolendamAdd Photo
Other Holland America cruise ships
ms Volendam Itineraries
The below listed ms Volendam cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Holland America fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Sep 26||23 days, one-way from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale||Vancouver|
|2018 Sep 29||20 days, one-way from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale||San Francisco|
|2018 Oct 02||17 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego|
|2018 Oct 19||15 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$799|
|2018 Nov 03||15 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$899|
|2018 Nov 18||15 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$899|
|2018 Dec 03||15 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$799|
|2018 Dec 18||16 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$1799|
|2019 Jan 03||15 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$1499|
|2019 Jan 18||15 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$1699|
|2019 Feb 02||30 days, round-trip Incan Empires||San Diego||$3099|
|2019 Feb 02||14 days, one-way from San Diego to Callao||San Diego||$1699|
|2019 Feb 17||15 days, one-way from Callao to San Diego||Callao||$1699|
|2019 Mar 04||15 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$1599|
|2019 Mar 19||15 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$1599|
|2019 Apr 03||15 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$1599|
|2019 Apr 18||20 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver||Fort Lauderdale||$2149|
|2019 Apr 18||17 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco||Fort Lauderdale||$1949|
|2019 May 05||3 days, one-way from San Francisco to Vancouver||San Francisco||$399|
|2019 May 08||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1149|
|2019 May 15||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1249|
|2019 May 22||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1299|
|2019 May 29||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1349|
|2019 Jun 05||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1349|
|2019 Jun 12||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1349|
|2019 Jun 19||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1349|
|2019 Jun 26||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Jul 03||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1499|
|2019 Jul 10||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Jul 17||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Jul 24||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Jul 31||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Aug 07||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Aug 14||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Aug 21||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1449|
|2019 Aug 28||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1349|
|2019 Sep 04||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1349|
|2019 Sep 11||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1249|
|2019 Sep 18||7 days, round-trip Alaskan Inside Passage||Vancouver||$1199|
|2019 Sep 25||23 days, one-way from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale||Vancouver||$3199|
|2019 Sep 25||6 days, one-way from Vancouver to San Diego||Vancouver||$599|
|2019 Oct 01||17 days, one-way from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale||San Diego||$2749|
|2019 Nov 01||19 days, round-trip Southern / Eastern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$2549|
|2019 Nov 01||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1399|
|2019 Nov 11||9 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean Seafarer||Fort Lauderdale||$1249|
|2019 Nov 20||30 days, round-trip Amazon Explorer||Fort Lauderdale||$6099|
|2019 Dec 20||16 days, round-trip Caribbean Holiday||Fort Lauderdale||$3349|
|2020 Jan 05||77 days, round-trip Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage||Fort Lauderdale||$13799|
|2020 Jan 05||41 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to Buenos Aires||Fort Lauderdale||$8399|
|2020 Feb 15||36 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to Fort Lauderdale||Buenos Aires||$7399|
|2020 Mar 22||14 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean||Fort Lauderdale||$2049|
|2020 Apr 05||18 days, one-way from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego||Fort Lauderdale||$2599|
|2020 Apr 23||6 days, one-way from San Diego to Vancouver||San Diego||$599|