Messina Port Authority, Via V Emanuele 11, n 3, Messina, ME 98100, Italy
45 °F / 8 °C
Port Messina is cruise port known as “the door to Sicily”. The city is located on Sicily Island, separated from mainland Italy by Strait of Messina (width 5 km / 3 ml). The city has population around 240,000 ((metro over 650,000). By passenger shipping traffic, Italy's largest seaports are Messina, Naples and Reggio Calabria.
- Messina is the island's 3rd largest city. World-known attraction of the area is the volcano Mt Etna. The city passed a lot of tests over time – revolution (1678, against the Spanish), earthquakes (in 1783 and 1908) and bombing (in 1943, during World War II).
- The main resources of the area include cruise tourism, seaport, wine productions and agriculture. Messina has been the seat of Roman Catholic Archdiocese and Archimandrite since 1548. It is also home to an international fair. The city has University of Messina, established in 1548 by Ignatius of Loyola.
- The 12th century Cathedral, containing king Conrad's remains (ruler of Germany and Sicily during the 13th century). Following the devastating earthquake in 1908, the building had to be almost entirely rebuilt in 1919-1920, and again in 1943, because of a fire triggered by Allied bombings.
- The Sanctuary of Santa Maria del Carmelo (close to the Courthouse) was built in 1931, and contains a 17th-century statue of Virgin Mary.
- Messina is a popular cruise port of call on many Mediterranean Sea itineraries. Among the 2017 scheduled ship calls, the largest vessels were Majestic Princess (2 visits), AIDAaura (1 visit), MSC Meraviglia (23 visits) and Norwegian Spirit (16 visits).
- In August 2017, the port officially announced plans for building a new cruise ship terminal. Among 2017's newcomers were the liners MSC Meraviglia (23 calls), Royal Princess, Celebrity Reflection, Norwegian Spirit. For season 2018 here booked Crown Princess (9 calls) and MSC Seaview (23 calls).
Messina cruise terminal
Messina cruise port terminal is located in the heart of city downtown. The Piazza del Duomo is within easy walking distance. You can explore Messina old town on foot. Next photo shows Messina port's cruise ship docking piers (no terminal building).
Available in front Messina cruise port terminal are taxis and rent-a-car offices. The rate of the taxi should be negotiated. The closest bus and train stations are located a mile from Messina cruise port terminal at Piazza della Repubblica. Via train or bus you can also visit Taormina (approx 55 km / 35 ml south from Messina).
Messina cruise port is in the itineraries of major cruise lines including Celebrity Cruises, Carnival, Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International, Princess Cruises, Windstar Cruises, Phoenix, MSC Cruises, Holland America Line, Cunard, Seabourn and Silversea.
Messina tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Cathedral of Messina: close to Messina cruise port terminal is located the Cathedral of Messina. The building is with Sicilian Norman architecture and was originally built in the 11th century. The Cathedral was reconstructed two times – after the 1908 earthquake and after the Second World War. The bell tower of the church houses the amazing Orologio Astronomico – one of the largest astronomical clocks in the world.
- Church of the Annunziata dei Catalani: located two street from the Cathedral of Messina, direction east. The church is an original Crusader’s one and was built in the period late 12th – beginning of 13th centuries.
- Museo Regionale: or the Regional Museum is the main museum for art in Mesina. Located two miles from Messina cruise port pier.
- Fountain of Orion: located in adjacent to the Cathedral of Messina, built in 1547 by Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli.
- Porta Grazia: the gate dates from 16th century. It looks like a fortress in the Messina harbour.
- Mount Etna: the tallest European volcano (10,902 feet) is still active. Most of the cruise lines offer tours to the Mount Etna. If not, it is better to rent a car, because taxi rates from Messina cruise port are not cheap.
- The well preserved medieval town Taormina is approx 55 km (35 ml) south from Messina.
- Bus tours along Sicily's highway and coastal road allow passengers to go to Santa Teresa (between Messina and Taormina). From there, a scenic road leads to the picturesque Savoca - one of the island's most attractive tourist destinations. The village's main street climbs a hill, where three 15th-16th centuries built curches are located, as well as the ruins of a Norman castle. Savoca is also the must-visit place for all “The Godfather” mafia movie fans.
Port Messina cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Messina, Sicily, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|2 January, 2020|
|8 January, 2020|
|16 January, 2020|
|Queen Mary 2||09:00||18:00|
|24 January, 2020|
Carnival Vista swamped piers and smaller boats moored in port of Messina (Sicily Island, Italy) on August 28, when leaving port. The port of...August 30, 2016
- show more news