MSC Magnifica current position
Specifications of MSC Magnifica
|Year built||2010 / Age: 11|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 550 million (2021 drydock reconstruction USD 140 million / EUR 125 million)|
|Owner||Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||95128 gt|
|Passengers||2518 - 3223|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Sophia Loren|
MSC Magnifica Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2021 May 03||11 days, one-way from Genoa to Southampton||Genoa||$339|
|2021 May 04||10 days, one-way from Marseille to Southampton||Marseille||$499|
|2021 May 05||9 days, one-way from Barcelona to Southampton||Barcelona||$319|
|2021 May 14||2 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$159|
|2021 May 16||12 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$769|
|2021 May 28||15 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$2649|
|2021 May 28||3 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$269|
|2021 May 31||19 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$2319|
|2021 May 31||12 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$779|
|2021 Jun 12||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$589|
|2021 Jun 19||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$589|
|2021 Jun 26||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$619|
|2021 Jul 03||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$619|
|2021 Jul 10||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$679|
|2021 Jul 17||14 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$1209|
|2021 Jul 31||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$669|
|2021 Aug 07||14 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$1220|
|2021 Aug 21||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$669|
|2021 Aug 28||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$649|
|2021 Sep 04||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$609|
|2021 Sep 11||14 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$1129|
|2021 Sep 25||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$419|
|2021 Sep 25||6 days, one-way from Southampton to Le Havre||Southampton||$469|
|2021 Sep 25||2 days, one-way from Southampton to Hamburg||Southampton||$149|
|2021 Sep 27||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Hamburg||$489|
|2021 Oct 01||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Le Havre||$499|
|2021 Oct 02||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$449|
|2021 Oct 02||4 days, one-way from Southampton to Rotterdam||Southampton||$289|
|2021 Oct 04||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Hamburg||$479|
|2021 Oct 06||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Rotterdam||$1149|
|2021 Oct 08||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Le Havre||$499|
|2021 Oct 09||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$449|
|2021 Oct 11||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Hamburg||$479|
|2021 Oct 13||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Rotterdam||$569|
|2021 Oct 15||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Le Havre||$499|
|2021 Oct 16||7 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Southampton||$449|
|2021 Oct 18||15 days, one-way from Hamburg to Genoa||Hamburg||$1479|
|2021 Oct 20||13 days, one-way from Rotterdam to Genoa||Rotterdam||$929|
|2021 Oct 22||10 days, one-way from Le Havre to Marseille||Le Havre||$989|
|2021 Oct 23||8 days, one-way from Southampton to Valencia||Southampton||$539|
|2021 Oct 23||10 days, one-way from Southampton to Genoa||Southampton||$379|
|2021 Nov 01||2 days, round-trip Northern Europe||Marseille||$149|
|2021 Nov 02||3 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa||$179|
|2021 Nov 02||2 days, one-way from Genoa to Barcelona||Genoa||$149|
|2021 Nov 03||2 days, one-way from Marseille to Genoa||Marseille||$149|
|2021 Nov 04||6 days, one-way from Barcelona to Haifa||Barcelona||$369|
|2021 Nov 04||11 days, one-way from Barcelona to Civitavecchia||Barcelona||$799|
|2021 Nov 05||5 days, one-way from Genoa to Haifa||Genoa||$309|
|2021 Nov 05||10 days, one-way from Genoa to Civitavecchia||Genoa||$619|
|2021 Nov 05||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa||$719|
|2021 Nov 15||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Civitavecchia||$859|
|2021 Nov 16||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa||$719|
|2021 Nov 21||6 days, one-way from Haifa to Genoa||Haifa||$329|
MSC Magnifica Review
Review of MSC Magnifica
History - construction and ownership
MSC Cruises (MSC Crociere) is a passenger shipping company headquartered in Genoa and Naples. It was established in 1960. Today, MSC Crociere is a subsidiary of MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company) - world's 2nd largest containership company. MSC Crociere is the world's largest privately-owned cruise company. By annual passenger shipping volumes, MSC is ranked world's 4th largest cruise company (after Carnival Corporation, RCCL-Royal Caribbean and NCL-Norwegian) with over 5% global market share.
The 95,128-ton, 3,010-passenger cruise ship MSC Magnifica sailed for the first time in March 2010 with a series of Mediterranean voyages. Magnifica is the first MSC cruise ship to cross the Atlantic Ocean to New York, a fact that is quite unusual for a European company.
Cruise itinerary program
MSC Magnifica itinerary program is based on South America cruises from Buenos Aires, and on 7-day Eastern Mediterranean voyages from Italy (Venice) to Croatia, Greece and Turkey. The Magnifica operates cheap Transatlantic repositioning crossings between Europe and South America.
- The 119-days itinerary includes a total of 49 ports of call in 32 different countries. The line has arranged extended stays in ports that no other cruise companies offer, including 4 full days in Polynesia, 3 full days in both San Francisco and Hawaii, and 2 full days in Los Angeles.
In October 2017, MSC announced another around the world voyage on Magnifica.
- Departing in January 2020, the itinerary has a total of 40 ports of call in 23 countries on 5 continents. The 3-month long voyage can be booked as roundtrip itinerary from either Rome (Civitavecchia), Genoa, Marseille or Barcelona. It also features a Transatlantic crossing and a Suez Canal transit.
- Among the visited destinations are South America (Argentina, Chile, Easter Island), Australia, Pacific Islands, Asia (Malaysia, India, Oman, Jordan).
In 2021, the bigger/stretched Magnifica was homeported in Southampton (England UK) for an entire summer season. Magnifica's European 2021 season includes 24 UK roundtrips and starts in May. The itineraries vary from 2- (mini-cruise) to 14-night and visit destinations in the Mediterranean, Canary Islands and Madeira, Baltic Sea, Northern Europe. Bookings on MSC Magnifica UK cruises were opened on September 12, 2019, with prices starting from GBP 149 pp (~EUR 167 / mini-cruise) and GBP 549 pp (~EUR 615 / Norwegian Fjords).
MSC Magnifica staterooms (1774 total) include 266 Suites, 662 Balconies, 372 Inside, in 8 grades. Most MSC Magnifica staterooms are 160-190-ft2 Balcony cabins. The largest are the Balcony Suites (235 ft2 / 22 m2 plus 100 ft2 / 10 m2 terrace).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Two formal restaurants onboard MSC Magnifica serve Mediterranean and Italian cuisine in traditional assigned seatings. Two buffet restaurants, which seem like a single dining area during the day, with long-serving counters, provide casual dining for breakfast and lunch. The aft buffet restaurant is reserved at night for seated dining and features a steak-house menu and extra charge; the forward one serves pizza. The à la carte sushi and Asian speciality restaurants require reservations and carry an additional charge. Ship's room service is limited to a menu including cold sandwiches and Continental Breakfast. Midnight buffets vary, ranging from traditional shipboard gala affair to themed snack-type offerings.
Follows the complete list of MSC Magnifica restaurants and food bars.
- L’Edera Restaurant (720-seat Dining Room, offers different Italian traditional meals and wines; open for Breakfast 7:00-9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00-2:00 p.m., and Dinner with 2 fixed seatings at 7:00 and 9:30 p.m.; with 7-course dinner menu; also features vegan and vegetarian meals)
- Quattro Venti Restaurant (714-seat Main Dining Room, with 2 fixed dinner seatings; dinner-only)
- Oriental Plaza Restaurant (54-seat Asian speciality restaurant; open for Lunch and Dinner)
- Sahara Cafeteria Restaurant (472-seat, self-service buffet; offers Afternoon and occasional midnight buffet)
- Onboard Pizzeria (inside Sahara, surcharge)
- L’Oasi Restaurant (250-seat, inside Sahara, with Mediterranean cuisine, dinner only).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
MSC Magnifica ship provides endless entertainment and recreational options: a casino, 4D cinema, bowling, billiards, library, as well as a fitness centre, three pools and eight jacuzzis, plus sauna and solarium. One of the swimming pools is ideal for winter swim under its retractable ‘Magrodome’ roof. Sports enthusiast can also play tennis, basketball, or just improve jogging. The Magnifica cruise ship is famous for her calmness; guests can try the Spa salon and the Turkish bath, or pamper in the beauty salon or the massage rooms.
Additional amenities include complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Children Program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of MSC Magnifica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Magnifica Atrium (3-deck high central ship area with live entertainment)
- Le Gocce Bar (142-seat Atrium Lobby; speciality coffee offered)
- Cybercafe (Internet computers room)
- Royal Theatre (1240-seat, 2-level; features grand-style show productions and classical concerts, with 2 shows per night - at 8:00 p.m. and 10:15 p.m.)
- Tiger Lounge and Bar (439-seat lounge with full bar and dance floor; hosts shows, bingo, trivia quizzes, aerobic classes)
- Purple Bar (45-seat cocktail bar)
- Topazio Bar (220-seat piano bar)
- Sequola Bar (45-seat); Ruby Bar (45-seat cocktail bar)
- Atlantic City Casino (222-seat, smoking allowed area, own full bar)
- Card Room (28-seat); Library (card and board games)
- Cuba Lounge (32-seat smoking room with full bar)
- L’Olimpiade Bar (120-seat sports bar)
- L’Ametista Lounge and Bar (330-seat show lounge with full bar, karaoke, dance competitions, game shows, cooking demonstrations, occasional midnight buffets)
- Duty-Free Shop; MSC Logo Shop; Accessories Shop; Le Parfum; L’Angolo dell’Oggetto; Bond Street Boutique; Rubino; Photo Gallery and Shop
- Art gallery
- MSC Magnifica Aurea Spa and Fitness (1160 m2 complex, with Sauna, Relaxation Room, Frigidarium, Treatment Rooms, Thalassotherapy hot tubs, 2 Whirlpools, Aerobics Studio/Yoga classes, Beauty Salon, Spa Bar)
- Fitness (complimentary Gym, fitness classes at a surcharge)
- Le Grand Bleu Pool (with 2 Whirlpools, tennis tables, served by La Conchiglia Bar)
- T32 Disco and Nightclub (a 172-seat club with dance floor, bowling lanes; dance classes; during the day serves as a teen club)
- Teen Club (13–17 aged lounge)
- Children’s Playrooms (kids club area); Underwater World (kids playroom)
- Video Games Arcade; Shuffleboard; Deck Quoits; 9-hole Mini Golf Course
- Solarium (adults-only area with 2 Whirlpools, served by Il Bar Del Sole)
- 4D Cinema (8 moving seats)
- LED Wall (outdoor screen for virtual games)
- Sports Center (combined sports court for volleyball, basketball, tennis)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
MSC Magnifica - user reviews and comments
Photos of MSC MagnificaAdd Photo
MSC Magnifica ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises announced it is working closely with Greece's Ministry of Tourism and other relevant authorities for restarting local cruise shipping...February 5, 2021
- Cruise Industry
Due to the extension of the travel restrictions within Italy (which also prevents access to cruise ports) until January 15, MSC Cruises announced the...January 9, 2021
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises has extended the pause in passenger shipping operations on one of its Mediterranean-deployed ships which was scheduled to resume voyages...December 27, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The family-owned company MSC Cruises announced details of its Summer 2022 program with sales now open for voyages in the Caribbean and Mediterranean...December 18, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises reconfirmed its winter cruise programme for 2021-2022 with an array of itineraries in the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, and the Gulf...December 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises announced that it would temporarily pause the operation of MSC Grandiosa later in December and move to January 2021 the planned restart...December 4, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises revealed a long-term agreement with ABP-Associated British Ports Southampton that will commence in summer 2021 with one of its liners...November 26, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises announced that given the prevailing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic situation in Germany and France with significant travel restrictions...November 5, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises' ship MSC Magnifica departed from Genoa, Italy on Monday, October 19, and became the second vessel of the line to welcome passengers back...October 20, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises joined other cruise companies in cancelling most November 2020 sailings including all voyages from the USA to the Caribbean and Bahamas...October 8, 2020
- show more news
Other MSC Cruises cruise ships
MSC Magnifica Wiki
Magnifica is of MSC's Musica-class vessels, with sisters Musica, Orchestra, Poesia. Ship's largest accommodations are of 335 ft (31m2 - Deluxe Suite). Magnifica was MSC's first liner to try the Canada-New England market with departures from homeport NYC New York (right after the maiden season in Mediterranean 2010).
In 2014, the vessel was refurbished by Damen Shiprepair Rotterdam.
MSC Magnifica 2021 refurbishment review
In 2021, the liner was drydocked for a USD 140 million reconstruction and refurbishment project. The project includes stretching the vessel by 23 m (76 ft) by cutting it in half and inserting midship a pre-fabricated section (hull and superstructure).
Following the drydock (January-March 2021), the ship has 215 more cabins (including 92 with balconies), new Aqua Park (with waterslide), completely redesigned kids playground, 2 new restaurants, larger shopping complex. The number of staterooms was increased from 1259 to 1774.
The refit project created an additional 7000 m2 (75350 ft2) of onboard space. Ship's machinery was upgraded with new maritime technologies, among which the pro-environment SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction), AWT (Advanced Wastewater Treatment) and shoreside power capabilities.
MSC World Cruise 2020
In October 2017, MSC announced a second "around the world" voyage on Magnifica. Departing in January 2020, the itinerary had planned a total of 40 ports of call in 23 countries on 5 continents. The 3-month long voyage was available for booking as a roundtrip from either Civitavecchia, Genoa, Marseille or Barcelona. It also featured a Transatlantic crossing and a Suez Canal transit.
Next table shows the 116-day "MSC World Cruise 2020" itinerary as planned ports of call and port stay times (arrival/departure). Due to the global Coronavirus pandemic, the itinerary was altered (the voyage was subsequently cancelled) as on March 14th MSC Cruises suspended shipping operations fleetwide and globally.
World Voyage 2020 was also offered as 116-day roundtrips from Genoa (January 5 through April 30), from Marseille (January 6 - May 1) and from Barcelona (January 7 - May 2).
For the voyage, MSC hired the renown restaurateurs and celebrity chefs Ramon Freixa (Spanish), Christophe Krywonis (French), Harald Wohlfahrt (German), Roy Yamaguchi (Japanese-American), Serge Dansereau (French-Canadian), Vikas Khanna (Indian-American), Jereme Leung (Singaporean), Allan Vila Espejo (Brazilian), Jorge Rausch Wolman (Colombian), James Berckemeyer Anderson (Peruvian).
MSC World Cruise 2019
In November 2016, MSC announced its first-ever world cruise on Magnifica, departing from Genoa on January 5, 2019. The 119-days itinerary includes a total of 49 ports of call in 32 different countries. The line has arranged extended stays in ports that no other cruise companies offer, including 4 full days in Polynesia, 3 full days in both San Francisco and Hawaii, and 2 full days in Los Angeles.
For the 118-day "MSC World Cruise 2019" (two departures - January 5 roundtrip from Genoa, and January 6 roundtrip from Marseille), MSC hired the celebrity chefs Ramon Freixa (Spain), Vikas Khanna (India), Carlo Cracco (Italy), Jean-Philippe Maury (France), Jereme Leung (China), Allan Vila Espejo (Brazil), Jorge Rausch (Colombia), Serge Dansereau (Canada).
Each chef developed one 3- or 4-course menu during a themed evening. The exclusive meals also allowed passengers to meet and interact with celebrities. Next table shows the 2019 world cruise itinerary (118-day) as ports and times.
MSC Magnifica User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review