MSC Magnifica current position
Specifications of MSC Magnifica
|Year built||2010 / Age: 10|
|Builder||Chantiers de l’Atlantique (Saint-Nazaire, STX France)|
|Building cost||USD 550 million (2021 drydock reconstruction USD 140 million / EUR 125 million)|
|Owner||Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)|
|Speed||23 kn / 43 kph / 26 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||95128 gt|
|Passengers||2518 - 3017|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Sophia Loren|
MSC Magnifica Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Jul 31||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Aug 01||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Aug 07||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Aug 08||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Aug 14||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Aug 15||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Aug 21||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Aug 22||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Aug 28||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Aug 29||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Sep 04||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Sep 05||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Sep 11||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Sep 12||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Sep 18||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Sep 19||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Sep 25||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Sep 26||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Oct 02||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Oct 03||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Oct 09||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Oct 10||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Oct 16||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Oct 17||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Oct 23||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Oct 24||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Oct 30||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Oct 31||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Nov 06||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Nov 07||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Bari|
|2020 Nov 13||7 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Venice|
|2020 Nov 14||6 days, one-way from Bari to Venice||Bari|
|2020 Nov 20||5 days, one-way from Venice to Genoa||Venice|
|2020 Nov 24||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Civitavecchia|
|2020 Nov 25||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa|
|2020 Dec 05||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Civitavecchia|
|2020 Dec 06||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa|
|2020 Dec 16||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Civitavecchia|
|2020 Dec 17||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa|
|2020 Dec 27||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Civitavecchia|
|2020 Dec 28||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa|
|2021 Jan 07||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Civitavecchia|
|2021 Jan 08||11 days, round-trip Mediterranean||Genoa|
MSC Magnifica Review
Review of MSC Magnifica
History - construction and ownership
MSC Cruises (MSC Crociere) is a passenger shipping company headquartered in Genoa and Naples. It was established in 1960. Today, MSC Crociere is a subsidiary of MSC (Mediterranean Shipping Company) - world's 2nd largest containership company. MSC Crociere is the world's largest privately-owned cruise company. By annual passenger shipping volumes, MSC is ranked world's 4th largest cruise company (after Carnival Corporation, RCCL-Royal Caribbean and NCL-Norwegian) with over 5% global market share.
The 95,128-ton, 3,010-passenger cruise ship MSC Magnifica sailed for the first time in March 2010 with a series of Mediterranean voyages. Magnifica is the first MSC cruise ship to cross the Atlantic Ocean to New York, a fact that is quite unusual for a European company.
Cruise itinerary program
MSC Magnifica itinerary program is based on South America cruises from Buenos Aires, and on 7-day Eastern Mediterranean voyages from Italy (Venice) to Croatia, Greece and Turkey. The Magnifica operates cheap Transatlantic repositioning crossings between Europe and South America.
- The 119-days itinerary includes a total of 49 ports of call in 32 different countries. The line has arranged extended stays in ports that no other cruise companies offer, including 4 full days in Polynesia, 3 full days in both San Francisco and Hawaii, and 2 full days in Los Angeles.
In October 2017, MSC announced another around the world voyage on Magnifica.
- Departing in January 2020, the itinerary has a total of 40 ports of call in 23 countries on 5 continents. The 3-month long voyage can be booked as roundtrip itinerary from either Rome (Civitavecchia), Genoa, Marseille or Barcelona. It also features a Transatlantic crossing and a Suez Canal transit.
- Among the visited destinations are South America (Argentina, Chile, Easter Island), Australia, Pacific Islands, Asia (Malaysia, India, Oman, Jordan).
In 2021, the bigger/stretched Magnifica will be homeported in Southampton (England UK) for an entire summer season. Magnifica's European 2021 season includes 24 UK roundtrips and starts in May. The itineraries vary from 2- (mini-cruise) to 14-night and visit destinations in the Mediterranean, Canary Islands and Madeira, Baltic Sea, Northern Europe. Bookings on MSC Magnifica UK cruises were opened on September 12, 2019, with prices starting from GBP 149 pp (~EUR 167 / mini-cruise) and GBP 549 pp (~EUR 615 / Norwegian Fjords).
MSC Magnifica has a total of 1259 cabins (of which 266 Suites, 570 Balcony, 249 Inside rooms) in 8 grades. Most MSC Magnifica staterooms are 160-190-sq. foot Balcony rooms. The largest aboard MSC Magnifica is the Suite (235 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Two formal restaurants onboard MSC Magnifica serve Mediterranean and Italian cuisine in traditional assigned seatings. Two buffet restaurants, which seem like a single dining area during the day, with long-serving counters, provide casual dining for breakfast and lunch. The aft buffet restaurant is reserved at night for seated dining and features a steak-house menu and extra charge; the forward one serves pizza. The à la carte sushi and Asian speciality restaurants require reservations and carry an additional charge. Ship's room service is limited to a menu including cold sandwiches and a Continental breakfast. Midnight buffets vary, ranging from traditional shipboard gala affair to themed snack-type offerings.
Follows the complete list of MSC Magnifica restaurants and food bars.
- L’Edera Restaurant (720-seat Dining Room, offers different Italian traditional meals and wines; open for Breakfast 7:00-9:30 a.m., Lunch 12:00-2:00 p.m., and Dinner with 2 fixed seatings at 7:00 and 9:30 p.m.; with 7-course dinner menu; also features vegan and vegetarian meals)
- Quattro Venti Restaurant (714-seat Main Dining Room, with 2 fixed dinner seatings; dinner-only)
- Oriental Plaza Restaurant (54-seat Asian speciality restaurant; open for Lunch and Dinner)
- Sahara Cafeteria Restaurant (472-seat, self-service buffet; offers Afternoon and occasional midnight buffet)
- Onboard Pizzeria (inside Sahara, surcharge)
- L’Oasi Restaurant (250-seat, inside Sahara, with Mediterranean cuisine, dinner only).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
MSC Magnifica ship provides endless entertainment and recreational options: a casino, 4D cinema, bowling, billiards, library, as well as a fitness centre, three pools and eight jacuzzis, plus sauna and solarium. One of the swimming pools is ideal for winter swim under its retractable ‘Magrodome’ roof. Sports enthusiast can also play tennis, basketball, or just improve jogging. The Magnifica cruise ship is famous for her calmness; guests can try the Spa salon and the Turkish bath, or pamper in the beauty salon or the massage rooms.
Additional amenities include complimentary 24-Hour Room-Service, Supervised Children Program, Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry.
Follows the complete list of MSC Magnifica lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Magnifica Atrium (3-deck high central ship area with live entertainment)
- Le Gocce Bar (142-seat Atrium Lobby; speciality coffee offered)
- Cybercafe (Internet computers room)
- Royal Theatre (1240-seat, 2-level; features grand-style show productions and classical concerts, with 2 shows per night - at 8:00 p.m. and 10:15 p.m.)
- Tiger Lounge and Bar (439-seat lounge with full bar and dance floor; hosts shows, bingo, trivia quizzes, aerobic classes)
- Purple Bar (45-seat cocktail bar)
- Topazio Bar (220-seat piano bar)
- Sequola Bar (45-seat); Ruby Bar (45-seat cocktail bar)
- Atlantic City Casino (222-seat, smoking allowed area, own full bar)
- Card Room (28-seat); Library (card and board games)
- Cuba Lounge (32-seat smoking room with full bar)
- L’Olimpiade Bar (120-seat sports bar)
- L’Ametista Lounge and Bar (330-seat show lounge with full bar, karaoke, dance competitions, game shows, cooking demonstrations, occasional midnight buffets)
- Duty-Free Shop; MSC Logo Shop; Accessories Shop; Le Parfum; L’Angolo dell’Oggetto; Bond Street Boutique; Rubino; Photo Gallery and Shop
- Art gallery
- MSC Magnifica Aurea Spa and Fitness (1160 m2 complex, with Sauna, Relaxation Room, Frigidarium, Treatment Rooms, Thalassotherapy hot tubs, 2 Whirlpools, Aerobics Studio/Yoga classes, Beauty Salon, Spa Bar)
- Fitness (complimentary Gym, fitness classes at a surcharge)
- Le Grand Bleu Pool (with 2 Whirlpools, tennis tables, served by La Conchiglia Bar)
- T32 Disco and Nightclub (a 172-seat club with dance floor, bowling lanes; dance classes; during the day serves as a teen club)
- Teen Club (13–17 aged lounge)
- Children’s Playrooms (kids club area); Underwater World (kids playroom)
- Video Games Arcade; Shuffleboard; Deck Quoits; 9-hole Mini Golf Course
- Solarium (adults-only area with 2 Whirlpools, served by Il Bar Del Sole)
- 4D Cinema (8 moving seats)
- LED Wall (outdoor screen for virtual games)
- Sports Center (combined sports court for volleyball, basketball, tennis)
- Power Walking/Jogging Track.
MSC Magnifica - user reviews and comments
Photos of MSC MagnificaAdd Photo
MSC Magnifica ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises confirmed full details of its winter 2020-2021 season, featuring more than 90 different itineraries across the Mediterranean, Caribbean...June 23, 2020
- Cruise Industry
MSC Magnifica pulled into her final port of call - Marseille France - to disembark 1700+ passengers from Monday, April 20, onward. The world voyage...April 20, 2020
More than 70 cruise passengers and crew members onboard the Artania ship in Fremantle are suspected of being infected with Coronavirus (COVID-19...March 28, 2020
WA Premier Mark McGowan is currently "exercising the Rottnest option" to quarantine Australian cruise passengers set to disembark in Fremantle (Perth...March 25, 2020
MSC Cruises, the owner of MSC Magnifica ship sailing off Western Australia's coast, said there were no passengers onboard with respiratory diseases...March 23, 2020
All passengers and crew are currently blocked on a cruise ship docked at Port Hobart Tasmania over Coronavirus (COVID-19) fears. About 1400...March 14, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Record flooding in Venice Italy is still wreaking havoc all over the port city, also preventing cruise liners from docking in downtown. NCL's...November 17, 2019
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises revealed it will bring the liner MSC Magnifica to Southampton UK in 2021 for an entire homeporting season after ship's extensive drydock...September 11, 2019
- Cruise Industry
MSC Cruises announced a selection of longer shore trips for passengers during line's first-ever World Cruise, embarking January 5, 2019 onboard MSC...October 26, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Just a couple of months before the return of the first cruise ship to ever visit Wollongong there is another good news for the port city as a cruise...December 2, 2017
- show more news
Other MSC Cruises cruise ships
MSC Magnifica Wiki
Magnifica is of MSC's Musica-class vessels, with sisters Musica, Orchestra, Poesia. Ship's largest accommodations are of 335 ft (31m2 - Deluxe Suite). Magnifica was MSC's first liner to try the Canada-New England market with departures from homeport NYC New York (right after the maiden season in Mediterranean 2010).
The vessel was last refurbished in 2014 by Damen Shiprepair Rotterdam.
MSC Magnifica 2021 refurbishment review
In 2021, the liner will be drydocked for a USD 140 million reconstruction and refurbishment project. The project includes stretching the vessel by 23 m (76 ft) by cutting it in half and inserting midship a pre-fabricated section (hull and superstructure).
Following the drydock (January-March 2021), the ship will have 215 more cabins (including 92 with balconies), new Aqua Park (with waterslide), completely redesigned kids playground, 2 new restaurants, larger shopping complex. The number of staterooms will be increased from 1259 to 1774.
The refit project will create an additional 7000 m2 (75350 ft2) of onboard space. Ship's machinery will be also upgraded with new maritime technologies, among which the pro-environment SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction), AWT (Advanced Wastewater Treatment) and shoreside power capabilities.
MSC World Cruise 2020
In October 2017, MSC announced a second "around the world" voyage on Magnifica. Departing in January 2020, the itinerary had planned a total of 40 ports of call in 23 countries on 5 continents. The 3-month long voyage was available for booking as a roundtrip from either Civitavecchia, Genoa, Marseille or Barcelona. It also featured a Transatlantic crossing and a Suez Canal transit.
Next table shows the 116-day "MSC World Cruise 2020" itinerary as planned ports of call and port stay times (arrival/departure). Due to the global Coronavirus pandemic, the itinerary was altered (the voyage was subsequently cancelled) as on March 14th MSC Cruises suspended shipping operations fleetwide and globally.
World Voyage 2020 was also offered as 116-day roundtrips from Genoa (January 5 through April 30), from Marseille (January 6 - May 1) and from Barcelona (January 7 - May 2).
MSC World Cruise 2019
In November 2016, MSC announced its first-ever world cruise on Magnifica, departing from Genoa on January 5, 2019. The 119-days itinerary includes a total of 49 ports of call in 32 different countries. The line has arranged extended stays in ports that no other cruise companies offer, including 4 full days in Polynesia, 3 full days in both San Francisco and Hawaii, and 2 full days in Los Angeles.
For the 118-day "MSC World Cruise 2019" (two departures - January 5 roundtrip from Genoa, and January 6 roundtrip from Marseille), MSC hired the following celebrity chefs:
- Ramon Freixa (Spain)
- Vikas Khanna (India)
- Carlo Cracco (Italy)
- Jean-Philippe Maury (France)
- Jereme Leung (China)
- Allan Vila Espejo (Brazil)
- Jorge Rausch (Colombia)
- Serge Dansereau (Canada)
Each chef developed one 3- or 4-course menu during a themed evening. The exclusive meals also allowed passengers to meet and interact with celebrities. Next table shows the 2019 world cruise itinerary (118-day) as ports and times.
Next table shows the World Cruise 2020. The 116-day itinerary was offered as roundtrip from all the ship's homeports - Civitavecchia-Rome (Jan 4 - Apr 29), Genoa (Jan 5 - Apr 30), Marseille (Jan 6 - May 1) and Barcelona (Jan 7 - May 2). For the voyage, MSC hired the renown restaurateurs and celebrity chefs Ramon Freixa (Spanish), Christophe Krywonis (French), Harald Wohlfahrt (German), Roy Yamaguchi (Japanese-American), Serge Dansereau (French-Canadian), Vikas Khanna (Indian-American), Jereme Leung (Singaporean), Allan Vila Espejo (Brazilian), Jorge Rausch Wolman (Colombian), James Berckemeyer Anderson (Peruvian).
MSC Magnifica User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review