Isle of Staffa (translated from Old Norse as "pillar island") is one of Scotland's of Inner Hebrides Islands (Argyll and Bute region). Staffa island is owned by the National Trust for Scotland. The island covers a total area of approx 0,3 km2 ((0,1 ml2) and is currently uninhabited.
The island is best known for its basalt columns and the large sea cavern "Fingal's Cave".
- The Vikings gave this name to the island as its columnar basalt reminded of their houses (built via vertically placed tree-logs).
- Staffa Island is located approx 10 km (6 ml) west of Isle of Mull. The highest elevation point is 42 m (138 ft) above sea level.
- The island became prominent in the late 18th century following the visit of Sir Joseph Banks (1743-1820) - British naturalist and botanist. His visit was followed by other prominent British personalities throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, including Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847, German composer and pianist) and Queen Victoria (1819-1901, the UK's monarch between 1837-1901).
Cruise ship and boat tours from Oban and Mull Island (Tobermory, Ulva Ferry and Fionnphort) allow tourists to visit Staffa and see the caves and the numerous puffins (seabirds) nesting here in the summer (May-September).
Isle of Staffa cruise terminal
Most cruise ships to Staffa Island dock (anchor) near Clamshell Cave - on the south-eastern coast. There is a landing site (with a pier) used by smaller tour boats. It is located north of Am Buachaille.
However, disembarkation on the pier is possible only in good weather with calm sea. Isle of Staffa lacks genuine anchorage.
The Norwegian ferry and cruise shipping company Hurtigruten will use Port Dover England as homeport / roundtrip departure port for 4 itineraries in...June 10, 2020
- show more news