Albatros Review and Specifications
Specifications of Albatros
|Year built||1973 / Age : 45|
|Builder||Wartsila Hietalahti shipyard (Helsinki, Finland)|
|Operator||Phoenix Reisen GmbH|
|Speed||19 kn / 35 kph / 22 mph|
|Length (LOA)||205 m / 673 ft|
|Beam (width)||27 m / 89 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||28518 gt|
|Passengers||812 - 830|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Former names||Royal Viking Sea, Royal Odyssey, Norwegian Star, MS Crown|
Current itinerary of Albatros
Albatros current cruise is 12 days, round-trip England - Schottland - Irland. Prices start from USD 999 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 23 Sep, 2018 and ends on 05 Oct, 2018.
|Date / Time||Port|
|23 Sep||Departing from Bremerhaven, Bremen, Germany|
|25 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||Newcastle, Port of Tyne, England|
|26 Sep 07:00 - 18:00||Dundee, Scotland|
|27 Sep 08:00 - 18:00||Invergordon, Scotland|
|28 Sep 12:00 - 18:00||Isle of Skye, Portree, Scotland|
|29 Sep 12:00 - 23:00||Belfast, Northern Ireland|
|30 Sep 08:00 - 17:00||Dublin, Ireland|
|01 Oct 11:00 - 21:00||Bristol, Avonmouth, England|
|02 Oct 13:00 - 19:00||Falmouth, England|
|03 Oct 09:00 - 20:00||Portsmouth, England|
|05 Oct||Arriving in Bremerhaven, Bremen, Germany|
Review of Albatros
History - construction & ownership
Phoenix Reisen cruise company began operating cruises under its own brand in 1988. It was then when the firm chartered the West German-built cruise vessel SS Maxim Gorkiy from the Soviet Union-based Black Sea Shipping Company on a twenty-year charter contract. In 1993 a second vessel joined the Phoenix Reisen fleet - SS Albatros was chartered from V-Ships. Unlike the Maxim Gorkiy, that retained the colours of her owners in Phoenix service, the Albatros cruise ship was painted in Phoenix Reisen's own colours with a turquoise funnel displaying the company logo.
The 28,518-ton, 812-passenger cruise ship Albatros debuted in 1973 in the fleet of Royal Viking Line. She also sailed as “ms Crown”, “Norwegian Star” and “Royal Odyssey”. MS Albatros launched as part of Phoenix Reisen Cruises in 2004 and is the second ship to bear the name, as well as line’s oldest vessel.
Cruise itinerary program
Albatros itinerary program is based on popular destinations like Europe (Mediterranean and Baltic Sea), Asia, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, South America, Canada and New England. The ship offers Panama Canal transits and transatlantic repositioning crossings.
Albatros has 8 passenger decks. The cabin grades number is 42, with a total number of cabins 420, including from 10m2-insides and 17m2-outsides, to 60 m2 Captain’s Suites.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
MS Albatros has two Dining Rooms: Seagull (Mowe) and Pelikan. Other options include Lido Lunch and Pizzeria. The ship also features six bars (including Casablanca and Harry’s Bars),
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
In 2013 ms Albatros celebrated her 40th service year, and was refitted to the highest standards with a contemporary feel. Vacations on board Albatros cruise ship are carefree, because of the informal atmosphere and great quality of service her staff provides. Despite her age, ms Albatros is in accordance with the latest safety-at-sea requirements. The ship boasts a pool, gym, casino and spa. According to her guests, she’s been rated excellent value for money, praised for her entertainment, service and child-friendliness.
MS Albatros entertainment options include: Wellness Area, Fitness Center, Beauty Salon, Spa, sauna, steam bath, Golf Garden, table tennis, shuffleboard, Sport Deck, whirlpool, swimming pool, Captain’s Garden, Boutique, all-around promenade, Theater/Cinema (2-deck), Photo/Video Shop & Gallery, Internet Center.
- Cabin grades number: 42
- Total number of cabins: 420 (from small inside cabins of 10 m2 and 17 m2 outside staterooms, up to 60 m2 "Captain's Suite")
- Dining Rooms: Seagull (Mowe), Pelikan
- Restaurants and food bars: Lido Lunch, Pizzeria.
- Lounges & Bars: Karibik Lounge, Pazific Lounge, Kopernikus Bar, Casablanca Bar, Harry's Bar & Disco, Atlantik Bar & Lounge.
- Wellness Area, Fitness Center, Beauty Salon, sauna, steam bath, Sport Deck, golf, shuffleboard, whirlpool, swimming pool, all-around promenade, Winter Garden, Internet Center, Boutique, Photo Gallery, Theater/Cinema (2-deck).
- MS Albatros cruise ship was built in Helsinki Finland as "Royal Viking Sea" for the Royal Viking Line. The vessel also sailed under the names Crown, Norwegian Star (link to the NCL ship) and Royal Odyssey. This is a privately owned vessel (asset of TSS Albatros company), currently operated under time charter by Phoenix Reisen GmbH (major German travel agency and tour operator company). She is the second Phoenix Reisen ship named Albatros, and was introduced in 2004 as the successor for "TS Albatros" ship. In Germany, the ship became popular after starring in the TV series "Crazy for the Sea" (in German "Verrruckt nach Meer"). The ship is notable for its bright turquoise funnel.
- MS Albatros caters very well for kids with parties, clubs, and a video arcade. There is a separate family pool on board, with shallow areas for children.
- German is the only language that is officially used on board. This is why most Phoenix Reisen cruise passengers are from German speaking countries (Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland). There is personnel speaking English, but no services in English are provided.
- Albatros is one of the small-sized World Cruise ships operating once per year on an Around The World itinerary to ports in Asia, Africa, Australia.
- An interesting fact is that on february 3, 2017 the crew of the cruise ship saved 6 men from a leaky Tongan fishing boat, who had not had water for 3 days. New Zealand's Rescue Coordination Centre organised for the German cruise ship Albatros to change course, after the fishing vessel crew set off an emergency rescue beacon 400 km south-west of Tonga.
Albatros - user reviews and comments
Photos of AlbatrosAdd Photo
Albatros ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Port of Richards Bay 2017-2018 cruise season started this weekend with the arrival of Phoenix Reisen’s Albatros. The cruise ship sailed in on...November 27, 2017
MS Albatros, a small cruise ship operated by Phoenix Reisen, has canceled a visit to Mombasa as Kenya struggles with unrest in the wake of a couple...November 1, 2017
The crew of a cruise ship has saved 6 men from a leaky Tongan fishing boat yesterday afternoon, who had not had water for 3 days. New...February 5, 2017
German newspapers reported that the ms Albatros cruise ship, marketed by German travel company Phoenix Reisen, has broken down this week. The...September 29, 2016
- show more news
Other Phoenix Reisen cruise ships
The below listed Albatros cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Phoenix Reisen fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Jun 12||18 days, round-trip Grose Nordlandreise||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Jul 16||8 days, round-trip Sudskandinavien vom Feinsten||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Aug 07||24 days, round-trip Island & Gronland mit MS Albatros||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Aug 31||16 days, round-trip Die grose Ostsee-Reise||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Sep 16||7 days, round-trip Kultstar HEINO auf Kreuzfahrt zugunsten von FLY & HELP||Bremerhaven||$599|
|2018 Sep 23||12 days, round-trip England - Schottland - Irland||Bremerhaven||$999|
|2018 Oct 05||18 days, round-trip Kurs Kanaren & Madeira||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Oct 23||18 days, round-trip Kurs Kanaren & Madeira||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Nov 10||18 days, one-way from Bremerhaven to Hamburg||Bremerhaven|
|2018 Nov 28||6 days, round-trip Zu nordischen Weihnachtsmarkten und zauberhaften Ostsee-Perlen||Hamburg||$349|
|2018 Dec 05||6 days, round-trip Zu nordischen Weihnachtsmarkten und zauberhaften Ostsee-Perlen||Hamburg||$349|
|2018 Dec 12||6 days, round-trip Zu nordischen Weihnachtsmarkten und zauberhaften Ostsee-Perlen||Hamburg||$299|
|2018 Dec 19||146 days, one-way from Hamburg to Genoa||Hamburg|
|2018 Dec 19||26 days, one-way from Hamburg to Callao||Hamburg|
|2019 Jan 14||27 days, one-way from Callao to Auckland||Callao|
|2019 Feb 11||28 days, one-way from Auckland to Keelung||Auckland|
|2019 Mar 11||19 days, one-way from Keelung to Hong Kong||Keelung|
|2019 Mar 31||22 days, one-way from Hong Kong to Dubai||Hong Kong|
|2019 Apr 22||22 days, one-way from Dubai to Genoa||Dubai|
|2019 May 14||16 days, one-way from Genoa to Bremerhaven||Genoa|
|2019 May 30||12 days, round-trip Pfingsturlaub im bezaubernden Baltikum||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Jun 11||13 days, round-trip Norwegens Fjorde & Postschiffroute zum Nordkap||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Jun 24||13 days, round-trip Weise Nachte in der Ostsee||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Jul 07||17 days, round-trip Abenteuer Arktis: Island - Spitzbergen - Norwegen||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Jul 24||7 days, round-trip Grandioses Fjordnorwegen||Bremerhaven||$599|
|2019 Jul 31||4 days, round-trip Kurzurlaub & Partyflair auf der White Lady||Bremerhaven||$399|
|2019 Aug 04||7 days, round-trip Sudskandinavien, maritimes Grosevent & Nord-Ostsee-Kanal||Bremerhaven||$599|
|2019 Aug 11||7 days, round-trip Sudskandinavien, maritimes Grosevent & Nord-Ostsee-Kanal||Bremerhaven||$599|
|2019 Aug 18||7 days, round-trip Grandioses Fjordnorwegen||Bremerhaven||$599|
|2019 Aug 25||33 days, round-trip Grose Reise in die neue Welt: Island, Gronland & Kanada||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Sep 27||86 days, one-way from Bremerhaven to Monte Carlo||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Sep 27||24 days, one-way from Bremerhaven to Cape Town||Bremerhaven|
|2019 Oct 22||15 days, one-way from Cape Town to Mahe Island||Cape Town|
|2019 Nov 07||18 days, one-way from Mahe Island to Cape Town||Mahe Island|
|2019 Nov 26||26 days, one-way from Cape Town to Monte Carlo||Cape Town|
|2019 Dec 23||121 days, one-way from Monte Carlo to Trieste||Monte Carlo|
|2019 Dec 23||23 days, one-way from Monte Carlo to Puntarenas||Monte Carlo|
|2020 Jan 16||26 days, one-way from Puntarenas to Auckland||Puntarenas|
|2020 Feb 12||23 days, one-way from Auckland to Benoa||Auckland|
|2020 Mar 07||46 days, one-way from Benoa to Trieste||Benoa|
|2020 Mar 07||23 days, one-way from Benoa to Dubai||Benoa|
|2020 Mar 30||23 days, one-way from Dubai to Trieste||Dubai|