Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Star Review and Specifications
Specifications of Norwegian Star
|Year built||2001 / Age : 18|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 400 million|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||25 kn / 46 kph / 29 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||91740 gt|
|Passengers||2344 - 2813|
|Decks with cabins||9|
|Former names||SuperStar Libra|
|Christened by||Brooke Burke|
Current itinerary of Norwegian Star
Norwegian Star current cruise is 14 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Miami. Prices start from USD 1049 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 04 Jan, 2019 and ends on 18 Jan, 2019.
|Date / Time||Port|
|04 Jan 17:00||Departing from Los Angeles, Long Beach, California|
|06 Jan 10:00 - 18:00||Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico|
|08 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Acapulco, Mexico Riviera|
|10 Jan 08:00 - 16:00||Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala|
|11 Jan 10:00 - 17:00||San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua|
|12 Jan 08:00 - 18:00||Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica|
|15 Jan 10:00 - 18:00||Cartagena, Colombia|
|18 Jan 08:00||Arriving in Miami, Florida|
Review of Norwegian Star
Launched in 2001, Norwegian Star is the first Dawn-class ship of Norwegian Cruise Line, together with Norwegian Dawn.
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania and RSSC (Regent).
The 91,740-ton, 2,350-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Star became operational in 2001, and was specially designed for Freestyle Cruising. The cruise ship has eleven restaurants, plus venues serving Tex-Mex, Japanese and French cuisine, and eight bars and lounges. In line with the Freestyle mantra, public spaces range from intimate to exuberant, giving passengers the chance for 24/7 entertainment.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Star itinerary program is based on Baltic Sea cruises from Copenhagen in the summer months. The Star ship also offers 7-day Western Caribbean sailings from Tampa FL, and seasonal Transatlantic repositioning crossings between Europe and Florida.
In February 2016, the ship was listed among the booked vessels at Overseas Passenger Terminal (Sydney NSW Australia) for a total of 11 visits (between October 7, 2017 and May 1, 2018). In January-February 2017, the ship operated all 3 itineraries to/from Australia and New Zealand.
Norwegian Star has a total of 1172 cabins (of which 368 Balcony, 358 Inside) in 33 grades. Most Norwegian Star staterooms are 165-sq.foot Balcony rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Star are the The Haven Garden Villas (2285 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
There are two main dining rooms onboard Norwegian Star for traditional-style dining, Versailles, located aft, and Aqua, located midship. Both are lovely, and Versailles looks very much like its namesake with lots of gold and French Renaissance flourishes. Aqua is contemporary and cool. Besides the main dining room, there are a bevvy of alternative venues.In addition to the two main dining rooms, Norwegian Star features a wealth of distinct restaurants to choose from. Themes range from steaks and classic French bistro fare to Benihana-style Teppanyaki. Overall, food is flavorful, and even inventive. Service is excellent throughout, though it's not unusual to wait to receive your dessert during the busiest dinner hours (6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.). Meals are cooked to order, so the food passengers receive is hot and fresh. Reservations for Star's specialty restaurants can be made only 24 hours in advance, so if you want to try one of the more popular spots, such as Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian-style steakhouse), Cagney's (American steakhouse), or Le Bistro (French), you should book as early as possible.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Star restaurants and food bars.
- Versailles Restaurant (502-seat aft Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining)
- Aqua Restaurant (322-seat forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Le Bistro (82-seat French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- La Cucina (112-seat Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Ginza (98-seat Asian restaurant; complimentary)
- Sushi Bar (17-seat Ginza restaurant); Sake Bar (8-seat, inside Ginza)
- Teppanyaki (12-seat Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Blue Lagoon (66-seat 24-hour fast food restaurant, complimentary)
- Moderno Churrascaria (62-seat Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (24-hour English pub/sports bar; complimentary)
- Market Cafe & Kid’s Cafe (475-seat indoor buffet restaurant, complimentary; with a special kids dedicated area)
- Topsiders Bar & Grill (128-seat)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (143-seat specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- The Sky High Bar (replacing the 126-seat Bavarian-themed al fresco snack and beer bar Bier Garten during 2018 refurb), is an outdoor bar & lounge with seating for nearly 120 people.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
While Norwegian Star provides the usual fare during days at sea, such as bingo, arts and crafts, art auctions, wellness seminars, the real highlights of entertainment are the nightly shows. The "main event" each evening is held in the Stardust Theater, which features everything - from Broadway-style song-and-dance acts to variety shows. The Stardust Theater spans Decks 5 through 7. It is designed in a European opera house style and is quite comfortable. The spa and sport facilities on Norwegian Star are open until 11 p.m. most nights. The ship also has 7 jacuzzis and 3 pools (Splash Down kids pool). Entertainment options also include the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each voyage), "Rock of Ages", "Cirque Dreams", "Illusionarium" (magicians show).
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Star tipping/gratuities (US$12 pp per day). For your Norwegian Star cruise ship weddings there's a small chapel on board.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Star lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Stardust Theatre (1037-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- Grand Atrium (2-deck midship hub area); Art Gallery
- Gatsby’s Champagne Bar; Wine Cellar; Red Lion (pub); Five O’Clock Somewhere Bar; Java Cafe (73-seat coffee & tea bar); Sugarcane Mojito Bar; Internet Cafe
- Star Club Casino
- Bliss Ultra Lounge (replacing the 405-seat aft Show Lounge & Nightclub Spinnaker Lounge during 2018 refurb)
- Spice H2O (Norwegian's adults-only top-deck spot featuring a private pool, full bar and hot tubs, added during 2018 refurb)
- The Galleria Shops (tax-duty free shops); Port o’ Call (perfumes & cosmetics boutique); Photo Gallery & Shop
- Barong Spa (beauty salon, treatment rooms); Barong Fitness Centre; Oasis Pool; Splash Down Pool/Kid’s Pool; Jogging Track; Golf Nets; Combined sports court (basketball, volleyball, tennis)
- Teen Club & Disco; Video Zone; Planet Kid’s centre.
Norwegian Star wiki
Norwegian Star is of the Dawn-class NCL vessels, with only sistership Norwegian Dawn. NCL Star's history started as an order placed to Meyer Werft GmbH by Star Cruises. The order was for a new Libra-class vessel, to be named "SuperStar Libra". Order's cost was USD 400 million. When NCL was acquired by Star Cruises in 2000, a decision was made this new liner to be transferred to NCL Norwegian and renamed "Norwegian Star". The 1st Libra-class ship ("SuperStar Scorpio", also on order) was also transferred to NCL and renamed "Norwegian Dawn".
Ship's Inaugural Cruise (maiden voyage) was on November 19, 2001. Vessel's christening ceremony was dual - together with NCL Sun, and traditionally held at PortMiami (November 17, 2001). Liner's godmother was Brooke Burke (US actress and model, born Sept 8, 1971).
2001 was the year when to NCL were delivered two brand new ships - Star and Sun. Both vessels were ordered and built specifically to embrace NCL's revolutionary "Freestyle Cruising" concept. All the three Sky-class ships together worth over USD 1 billion - at that time a huge investment in this market.
As a fun fact, there was another passenger ship operated between 1996-2001 under the same name - "Norwegian Star". That was ms Albatros - built 1973, and currently owned and operated by the Phoenix Reisen. That ship was also refered to as "NCL Star", since it was in service for "Norwegian Capricorn Line".
Originally, Norwegian Star operated 7-day Hawaiian Islands cruises from homeport Honolulu, starting on December 16, 2001. Deals were on roundtrips visiting Hawaii, Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Fanning Island. This itinerary was operated up until 2004, when NCL Star was relocated to US West Coast for voyages to Alaska and Mexico Riviera. The change also included a new hull-art and adding Cagney's Steakhouse and "Star Club" casino as new onboard venues. On the Hawaiian market, NCL Star was replaced by Pride of Aloha ship (now Norwegian Sky).
In late-2011, the ship was once again relocated and homeported in Tampa Florida for Western Caribbean itineraries. In 2012, it was homeported in NYC New York where replaced NCL Gem for roundtrips to Bermuda, while NCL Jewel replaced Star in Alaska-Mexico. In 2013, Norwegian Star started a new set of itineraries - in Northern Europe, operating Baltic Sea cruises leaving from homeport Copenhagen Denmark.
NCL Star refurbishment 2018 review
The list of deckplan changes after ship's 3-week drydock 2018 refurbishment (May, in Barcelona) includes:
- extensive renovation of all staterooms, public areas, restaurants, bars, lounges
- stateroom upgrades - new flat HDTVs (infotainment system), USB ports, carpets, headboards, artworks, some furniture
- Bliss Ultra Lounge (ex Spinnaker Lounge) - redesigned, new carpets, custom-made loungers, expanded seating, upgraded bar menu, new artworks
- Spice H20 (adults-only serenity deck with swimming pool, hot tubs, full-service bar, nightly live entertainment, DJs)
- Los Lobos Cantina (Mexican restaurant, former Las Ramblas Bar Restaurant)
- Spinnaker Lounge (ex Observation Lounge)
- Sky High Bar (ex Bier Garten) - enlarged (to 120 seats), updated bar menu)
- renovated Atrium Cafe and Bar, Garden Cafe, Cagney's Steakhouse, Casino (new VIP section), Main Dining Rooms (Aqua, Versailles), La Cucina, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, Atrium Cafe, Mandara Spa, pool deck, Theatre, Atrium Cafe
Drydock 2018 was part of NCL's "Norwegian Edge" program for fleetwide upgrades (2-year project budgeted USD 400 million). Each drydock costs around USD 35-40 million.
NCL Star refurbishment 2015 review
Ship's 2015 drydock refurbishment (March 8-22) resulted in the following deckplan changes
- (Deck 7) The Jimmy Buffet’s eatery now has the Five O’Clock Somewhere Bar.
- Cover charges were dropped for the Ginza (Asian) restaurant.
- Added were the O’Sheehan’s Pub (on deck 8) and the Sugarcane Mojito Bar (on deck 13).
- New digital signage boards (touch-screens) were installed throughout the ship.
- Renovations were done to the casino (deck 6), photo gallery (deck 7), pool deck (Lido deck 12).
- All public areas received new carpeting/flooring, and windows were replaced.
- (technical enhancements) - new hull painting, new scrubbers were added (by Green Tech Marine) reducing fuel/energy consumption. Upgraded were the ship’s tenderboat release systems. General maintenance works were done.
Refurbishment 2018 project was part of NCL’s “The Norwegian Edge” fleet renovation program, budgeted around USD 400 million.
NCL Star refurbishment 2010 review
The list of deckplan changes after drydock 2010 included:
- (Deck 6) the “SoHo Room” restaurant was renamed “La Cucina”.
- (Deck 7 – relocation of old venues) Photo Gallery, duty-free shops, Spinnaker lounge (from deck 12, the new Spinnaker is larger), new conference rooms
- (Deck 8) new restaurants were added – Moderno, and O’Sheehan’s.
- (Deck 12 changes) Public spaces were converted into Suites. The deck area where were located the old Spinnaker, Art Gallery and Meeting Rooms was converted – new 48 Suites were added, including 28 Penthouse Suites, with a new category suites added (Deluxe Owner’s Suite- SA, without a balcony, but with floor-to-ceiling slanted panoramic windows), new Family Suites and a new category Interior Rooms (IC). Also, the old cinema area was converted into 4 new conference rooms.
- Shipwide carpeting and cabins renovation.
Norwegian Star - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian StarAdd Photo
Norwegian Star ship related cruise news
A Gloucestershire woman spent ten hours in the sea after falling from an NCL cruise ship. The Brithish passenger Kay Longstaff went overboard...August 23, 2018
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) announced it had completed the refurbishments of 3 of its cruise ships: Norwegian Breakaway, Norwegian Sun and Norwegian...August 12, 2018
A cruise ship stranded off the Australian coast after a mechanical failure returns to sea today bound for New Zealand. Norwegian Star, which...February 14, 2017
Distressed cruise passengers are in tears, with their ship broken down and drifting off Victorian coast. Preparations are underway to tow Norwegian...February 10, 2017
Norwegian Cruise Line announced it had to revise the 21-day cruise of Norwegian Star which left from Hong Kong to Sydney on January 16, 2017. Late...February 1, 2017
Norwegian Star has suffered azipod failure during a voyage in Indonesia, Singapore and Australia via the Great Barrier Reef. During the passage out...January 28, 2017
When it's your first cruise on the high seas the expectations are high. However, Natalie Woods learned that expectations can be swept away just...January 5, 2017
Norwegian Cruise Line's (NCL) Norwegian Star experienced technical issues with her azipod propulsion system. The ship was forced to alter the...October 18, 2015
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Star Itineraries
The below listed Norwegian Star cruise prices on itineraries are only indicative and Per Person (in US dollars, based on double occupancy). These are the cheapest Norwegian Cruise Line fares on the ship’s lowest category cabins available for booking. Cruise fares typically change with departure dates approaching, last minute deals, discounts, promotions, independent travel agency offers.
|Date||Cruise Name||Departure Port||Price from|
|2018 Dec 14||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles||Los Angeles|
|2018 Dec 21||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles||Los Angeles||$999|
|2018 Dec 28||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles||Los Angeles||$1599|
|2019 Jan 04||14 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Miami||Los Angeles||$1049|
|2019 Jan 18||14 days, one-way from Miami to Los Angeles||Miami||$749|
|2019 Feb 01||14 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Miami||Los Angeles||$929|
|2019 Feb 15||14 days, one-way from Miami to Los Angeles||Miami||$949|
|2019 Mar 01||8 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles||Los Angeles||$499|
|2019 Mar 09||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles||Los Angeles||$449|
|2019 Mar 16||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles||Los Angeles||$449|
|2019 Mar 23||7 days, round-trip Mexican Riviera from Los Angeles||Los Angeles||$479|
|2019 Mar 30||14 days, one-way from Los Angeles to Miami||Los Angeles||$949|
|2019 Apr 13||7 days, round-trip Western Caribbean from Miami||Miami||$679|
|2019 Apr 20||7 days, round-trip Eastern Caribbean from Miami||Miami||$499|
|2019 Apr 27||15 days, one-way from Miami to Tarragona||Miami||$799|
|2019 May 12||12 days, one-way from Tarragona to Venice||Tarragona||$2679|
|2019 May 24||9 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1699|
|2019 Jun 02||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$899|
|2019 Jun 09||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1279|
|2019 Jun 16||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice|
|2019 Jun 23||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1399|
|2019 Jun 30||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1399|
|2019 Jul 07||11 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1999|
|2019 Jul 18||10 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1349|
|2019 Jul 28||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1379|
|2019 Aug 04||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1149|
|2019 Aug 11||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$829|
|2019 Aug 18||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$979|
|2019 Aug 25||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1049|
|2019 Sep 01||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$979|
|2019 Sep 08||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1129|
|2019 Sep 15||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$949|
|2019 Sep 22||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$949|
|2019 Sep 29||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$1149|
|2019 Oct 06||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$899|
|2019 Oct 13||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$949|
|2019 Oct 20||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$849|
|2019 Oct 27||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$729|
|2019 Nov 03||7 days, round-trip Greek Isles from Venice||Venice||$729|
|2019 Nov 10||12 days, one-way from Venice to Barcelona||Venice||$1599|
|2019 Nov 22||14 days, one-way from Barcelona to Miami||Barcelona||$849|
|2019 Dec 06||15 days, one-way from Miami to San Antonio||Miami||$749|
|2019 Dec 21||14 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1529|
|2020 Jan 04||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1279|
|2020 Jan 18||14 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1249|
|2020 Feb 01||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1149|
|2020 Feb 15||14 days, one-way from San Antonio to Buenos Aires||San Antonio||$1479|
|2020 Feb 29||14 days, one-way from Buenos Aires to San Antonio||Buenos Aires||$1429|