Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Gem current position
Current itinerary of Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem current cruise is 12 days, one-way from Bilbao to Civitavecchia-Rome. Prices start from USD 899 (double occupancy rates). The itinerary starts on 19 Sep, 2023 and ends on 01 Oct, 2023.
|Date / Time||Port|
|19 Sep 22:00||Departing from Bilbao, Spain Biscay Basque Country hotels|
|21 Sep 07:00 - 19:00||Lisbon, Portugal|
|22 Sep 07:00 - 19:00||Portimao, Portugal|
|23 Sep 06:00 - 20:00||Cadiz, Spain, Sevilla|
|24 Sep 07:00 - 22:00||Gibraltar, UK|
|25 Sep 06:00 - 17:00||Motril, Spain Granada|
|26 Sep 10:45 - 22:00||Ibiza, Ibiza Island Balearic Spain|
|27 Sep 08:00 - 19:00||Palma de Mallorca, Majorca Island Balearic Spain|
|28 Sep 07:00 - 18:00||Barcelona, Spain|
|29 Sep 09:00 - 20:00||Saint-Tropez, France Riviera|
|30 Sep 06:00 - 18:00||La Spezia, Italy|
|01 Oct 06:00||Arriving in Civitavecchia-Rome, Italy hotels|
Specifications of Norwegian Gem
|Year of build||2007 / Age: 16|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 700 million|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 km/h / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||93530 gt|
|Passengers||2394 - 2873|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Cindy Cardella|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
Norwegian Gem Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2023 Aug 27||11 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Bilbao||Civitavecchia-Rome||$799|
|2023 Sep 07||12 days, round-trip Europe France, Spain Portugal||Bilbao||$779|
|2023 Sep 19||12 days, one-way from Bilbao to Civitavecchia-Rome||Bilbao||$899|
|2023 Oct 01||11 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to Istanbul||Civitavecchia-Rome||$1749|
|2023 Oct 12||10 days, one-way from Istanbul to Trieste||Istanbul||$949|
|2023 Oct 22||10 days, one-way from Trieste to Istanbul||Trieste||$729|
|2023 Nov 01||10 days, one-way from Istanbul to Piraeus-Athens||Istanbul||$649|
|2023 Nov 11||11 days, one-way from Piraeus-Athens to Istanbul||Piraeus-Athens||$699|
|2023 Nov 22||12 days, one-way from Istanbul to Civitavecchia-Rome||Istanbul||$749|
|2023 Dec 04||15 days, one-way from Civitavecchia-Rome to New York||Civitavecchia-Rome||$599|
|2023 Dec 22||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Mexico, Costa Rica Belize||Miami||$1549|
|2024 Jan 02||9 days, round-trip Caribbean Dominican Republic Great Stirrup Cay||Miami||$849|
|2024 Jan 11||5 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Miami||$549|
|2024 Jan 16||9 days, round-trip Caribbean Dominican Republic Great Stirrup Cay||Miami||$899|
|2024 Jan 25||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Mexico, Costa Rica Belize||Miami||$1099|
|2024 Feb 05||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Mexico, Costa Rica Belize||Miami||$999|
|2024 Feb 16||3 days, round-trip Bahamas Great Stirrup Cay Key West||Miami||$469|
|2024 Feb 19||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Mexico, Costa Rica Belize||Miami||$999|
|2024 Mar 01||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Mexico, Costa Rica Belize||Miami||$999|
|2024 Mar 12||9 days, round-trip Caribbean Dominican Republic Great Stirrup Cay||Miami||$949|
|2024 Mar 21||5 days, round-trip Caribbean Great Stirrup Cay Cozumel||Miami||$549|
|2024 Mar 29||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||Boston||$599|
|2024 Apr 05||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||Boston||$629|
|2024 Apr 12||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||Boston||$879|
|2024 Apr 19||7 days, round-trip Bermuda||Boston||$869|
|2024 Apr 26||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$729|
|2024 May 03||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$749|
|2024 May 10||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$799|
|2024 May 17||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$799|
|2024 May 24||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$849|
|2024 May 31||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$849|
|2024 Jun 07||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$949|
|2024 Jun 14||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$929|
|2024 Jun 21||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$999|
|2024 Jun 28||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$1049|
|2024 Jul 05||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$979|
|2024 Jul 12||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$949|
|2024 Jul 19||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$949|
|2024 Jul 26||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$979|
|2024 Aug 02||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$849|
|2024 Aug 09||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$849|
|2024 Aug 16||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$849|
|2024 Aug 23||7 days, round-trip Bermuda Maine||Boston||$849|
|2024 Aug 30||7 days, round-trip Canada New England Portland Bar Harbor||Boston||$799|
|2024 Sep 06||7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City||Boston||$549|
|2024 Sep 13||7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston||Quebec City||$549|
|2024 Sep 20||7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City||Boston||$579|
|2024 Sep 27||7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston||Quebec City||$549|
|2024 Oct 04||7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City||Boston||$579|
|2024 Oct 11||7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston||Quebec City||$549|
|2024 Oct 18||7 days, round-trip Canada New England Portland Bar Harbor||Boston||$579|
|2024 Nov 21||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Mexico, Costa Rica Belize||Miami||$1249|
|2024 Dec 02||9 days, one-way from Miami to Panama City||Miami||$899|
|2024 Dec 11||9 days, one-way from Panama City to Miami||Panama City||$899|
|2024 Dec 20||14 days, round-trip Caribbean Bonaire, Aruba Barbados||Miami||$1999|
|2025 Jan 03||11 days, round-trip Panama Canal Mexico, Costa Rica Belize||Miami||$1149|
Norwegian Gem Review
Review of Norwegian Gem
The 2007-built Norwegian Gem cruise ship is the 4th and last of the NCL Jewel-class liners, with sisterships Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl. The NCL Gem ship cost US$390 million to build and was last refurbished in 2015.
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had a worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania and RSSC-Regent.
The 2400-passenger ship Norwegian Gem is Norwegian Cruise Line's newest ship of the Jewel class, designed and built by the German shipyard, Meyer Werft. The Norwegian Gem took all features of a typical Jewel-vessel and offers a myriad of highlights and services for all onboard.
Decks and Cabins
Norwegian Gem staterooms (1197 total, in 36 grades) include 182x Suites, 360x Balcony, 243x Oceanview and 412 Inside cabins. Most staterooms are sized 140-160 ft2 (13-15 m2). The largest accommodations are the 3-Bedroom The Haven Garden Villa (2320 ft2 / 216 m2, with terrace sized 1035 ft2 / 96 m2).
The boat has 15 decks, of which 12 are passenger-accessible and 8 with cabins.
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Norwegian Gem features 13 dining venues with flexible hours, open-seating and excellent service. Passengers will not find set tablemates and assigned dining times here. The availability at restaurants can be checked on plasma TVs throughout the ship. If the dining options are booked up for certain times, the screens list alternative reservation suggestions. Reservations can be also made in advance once onboard. Better book early at the smaller restaurants, especially for parties. Complimentary coffee, hot tea and iced tea are served with meals; bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are at an additional charge.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Gem restaurants and food bars.
- Magenta Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French speciality dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Orchid Garden (Asian restaurant, dinner-only, complimentary since 2015)
- Sushi Bar (10-seat Orchid Garden restaurant, a la carte); Sake Bar (inside Orchid Garden)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi speciality, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Grand Pacific Restaurant (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Bali Hai Bar & Grill (complimentary fast food bar); Blue Lagoon (buffet)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (speciality dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialities; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian speciality restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations); Kid's Cafe
- The Great Outdoors (outdoor buffet restaurant, complimentary)
- Topsiders Bar & Grill (poolside, complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
There are a lot of bars and nightclubs for entertainment onboard Norwegian Gem, as well as fitness facilities, rock climbing wall and a jogging track. For a more relaxing atmosphere go to the library, the card room or lifestyle room. What will impress the passengers is definitely the Haven Garden Villas - often booked by famous people like Oprah Winfrey. A lot of free space is available onboard, along with 7 jacuzzis and 3 pools (Sapphire Kid’s Pool). There are also other ways for entertainment such as the Stardust Theater which offers the chance of watching singers and dancers. Entertainment options also include the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each voyage), "Rock of Ages", "Cirque Dreams", "Illusionarium" (magicians show).
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Gem tipping/gratuities are US$12 pp per day. On NCL Gem ship, onboard weddings are allowed.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Gem lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Stardust Theatre (1042-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand shows per night)
- Bar City complex (Maltings Beer & Whisky Bar, Shakers Martini & Cocktail Bar, Magnum’s Champagne & Wine Bar); Corona Cigar Bar; Star Bar; Sugarcane Mojito Bar
- Spinnaker Lounge (372-seat, with floor-to-ceiling windows; serves as disco & night club); Java Cafe
- Atrium (2-deck midship hub area with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Leopard Lounge & Disco Club
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (speciality tea & coffee bar)
- Internet Cafe (24-hour); Art Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop
- LifeStyles Room; Library; Card Room
- Gem Club Casino
- Gem’s Trade Routes Boutiques (tax and duty-free boutiques)
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- Ying & Yang Spa complex (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, Smile Spa, Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop); Body Waves Fitness Centre; Tahitian Beach Pool; Sapphire Kid’s Pool
- Tree Top Kid’s Club; Video Games Arcade
- Courtyard Fitness & Spa complex (Villas-guests only, Steam Room, Gym)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Combined sports court; Jogging Track; Golf Nets; Shuffleboard, Giant Chess).
Norwegian Gem itinerary program is based on cruises from New York (Manhattan cruise terminal). Featured destinations include Eastern Caribbean, Bahamas and Canada with "Fall Foliage New England"-themed sailings.
Following the Coronavirus crisis, in early-April 2021, NCL announced new schedules for the ships Jade (7-day Mediterranean-Greek Islands from Piraeus-Athens/starting July 25), Joy (7-day Caribbean from Montego Bay Jamaica/starting August 15), and Gem (7-day Caribbean from La Romana Dominicana/Punta Cana roundtrips starting August 15).
- Previously, the boats were planned to restart as follows - Joy (October 19, 2021/Caribbean from Miami), Gem (Oct 29, 2021/Bermuda from NYC), Jade (January 2, 2022/South Africa from Cape Town).
- In late-May NCL canceled JOY's ex-Jamaica schedule (Aug 7 thru Oct 9).
- In early-June NCL canceled GEM's ex-Dominicana schedule (Aug 15 thru Oct 10).
- In July 2021, from NCL Jewel to Gem were transfered several music-themed cruises organized by Sixthman. For more info read in the ship's Wiki section.
Norwegian Gem - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian GemAdd Photo
Norwegian Gem ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
Starting on October 30th, MSC Virtuosa will embark on a 23-night voyage encompassing various destinations like Naples Italy, Piraeus-Athens Greece...July 20, 2023
- Cruise Industry
Spain's Bilbao Port Authority is currently implementing the BilbOPS project, which aims to deploy Onshore Power Supply (OPS) technology based on...May 27, 2023
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line announced the arrival of the new Norwegian Prima ship to Port Canaveral FL which will sail roundtrip Caribbean voyages...December 13, 2022
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line circumvented the ban on its ships entering Venice Lagoon by shuttling cruise passengers into the city centre on motor boats...July 26, 2022
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line marked the successful return of Norwegian Escape, the first liner of the brand's Breakaway-Plus class, to Europe. Back in...July 24, 2022
The current voyage on NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Gem was canceled mid-cruise. The ship is returning to New York ahead of her schedule due...January 15, 2022
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line will become the first major cruise company to seasonally homeport in Panama City (Fuerte Amador), in March 2022, under a...December 16, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line continues its Great Cruise Comeback with the restart of its 7th ship, Norwegian Bliss, sailing week-long cruises to the...October 26, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line on Sunday, August 15, celebrated a couple of milestones for the company: NCL Norwegian Gem commenced sailings from...August 17, 2021
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line on Sunday, July 25, officially restarted passenger shipping operations. Norwegian Jade was not only the first of the 17...July 26, 2021
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Gem Wiki
NCL promoted the Gem ship launch via a dedicated "Gem It Girl" website. Online, the cruise company provided details about the newbuild and prompted its customers to submit entries in order to be chosen a godmother. Mrs Cindy Cardella was the lucky one.
NCL Gem ship is the last of the fleet's Jewel-class liners, with sisterships Jewel, Jade and Pearl. Ship's Inaugural Cruise (maiden voyage) started on October 6, 2007. The 2-day mini-cruise (Oct 6-8) was a roundtrip from homeport Dover England to Amsterdam Holland.
Following the COVID-related suspension, NCL Gem restarted operations in 2021 with a mini-season of 7-day Caribbean roundtrips from the Dominican Republic (August 15 thru October 10).
|Date / Time||Port|
|15 Aug 21:00||Departing from La Romana, Dominicana|
|17 Aug 08:00 - 20:00||Bridgetown, Barbados|
|18 Aug 06:00 - 17:00||Castries, St Lucia Island|
|19 Aug 09:00 - 19:00||Philipsburg, St Maarten Island, Dutch Antilles|
|20 Aug 07:00 - 19:00||St Johns, Antigua Island|
|22 Aug 06:00||Arriving in La Romana|
Prices were in the range USD 500-700 per person with double occupancy. However, the Dominicana homeporting schedule was canceled in early-June and the liner restarted services on November 13, out of NYC (to Bermuda).
For 2021, Sixthman (USA-based travel agency specializing in festivals and music cruises) scheduled the following Miami roundtrips for NCL Gem:
- October 21-25 (Triple Whammy Chris Jerichos Rock N Wrestling Rager At Sea) to Grand Bahama Island
- October 25-29 (SS Neverender) to Nassau
- October 29 - November 3 (The KISS Kruise X) to Harvest Caye Belize and Isla Roatan Honduras
- November 3-7 (Soulshine at Sea) to Great Stirrup Cay
- November 7-12 (The Rock Boat XXI) to Great Stirrup Cay and Puerto Plata Dominicana
- November 12-18 (The Melissa Etheridge Cruise IV) to Great Stirrup Cay, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Nassau
- Note: Originally, these music-themed voyages were scheduled for NCL Jewel ship.
NCL Gem refurbishment 2015 review
The list of deckplan changes after the ship's drydock 2015 refurbishment (October-November) includes:
- Penthouse Suites renovation
- lounge renovations (Horizon, and Spinnaker /observation lounge)
- new dining venue will be added (O'Sheehan's Bar & Grill)
- relocation of Moderno restaurant (from deck 8 to deck 13) and replacement of the Blue Lagoon restaurant with the new O'Sheehan's Pub (deck 8)
- relocation of the Cagney's Steakhouse on deck 8, to make a place for the new Brazilian restaurant "Moderno Churrascaria" and the Mojito Bar "Sugarcane" (replacing the Star Bar).
- new furnishings (custom-crafted), and new furniture for the relaxation deck areas (decks 11-12)
- new wall coverings, LED lighting, carpeting
- many original artworks were added in public areas.
During drydock 2015, the ship was retrofitted with new "scrubbers" (exhaust gas cleaning systems). The new scrubber technology reduces the equivalent of approx 1500 tons of the poisonous gas Sulfur Oxide. Norwegian Cruise Line was the first cruise company retrofitting with a scrubber hybrid system vessels while in service. The new in-line scrubbers (5 units) are lightweight and able to operate in a dry mode, as well as in open and closed loops.