Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Gem current position
Specifications of Norwegian Gem
|Year built||2007 / Age: 13|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 700 million|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||24 kn / 44 kph / 28 mph|
|Length (LOA)||294 m / 965 ft|
|Beam (width)||32 m / 105 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||93530 gt|
|Passengers||2394 - 2873|
|Decks with cabins||8|
|Christened by||Cindy Cardella|
Norwegian Gem Itineraries
|Date||Itinerary||Departure Port||Price from|
|2020 Nov 04||5 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$552|
|2020 Nov 20||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$916|
|2020 Nov 30||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1210|
|2020 Dec 12||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1147|
|2020 Dec 22||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$2505|
|2021 Jan 03||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1000|
|2021 Jan 14||14 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1322|
|2021 Jan 28||14 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1210|
|2021 Feb 11||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1056|
|2021 Feb 21||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$860|
|2021 Mar 04||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$923|
|2021 Mar 15||11 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$965|
|2021 Mar 26||10 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1077|
|2021 Apr 05||12 days, round-trip Southern Caribbean from New York||New York||$1252|
|2021 Apr 18||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$804|
|2021 Apr 25||5 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$615|
|2021 Apr 30||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$762|
|2021 May 07||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$818|
|2021 May 14||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$867|
|2021 May 21||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$895|
|2021 May 28||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$895|
|2021 Jun 04||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$916|
|2021 Jun 11||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$937|
|2021 Jun 18||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$965|
|2021 Jun 25||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$1077|
|2021 Jul 02||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$993|
|2021 Jul 09||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$993|
|2021 Jul 16||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$993|
|2021 Jul 23||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$993|
|2021 Jul 30||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$993|
|2021 Aug 06||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$965|
|2021 Aug 13||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$965|
|2021 Aug 20||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$965|
|2021 Aug 27||7 days, round-trip Canada New England from Boston||Boston||$979|
|2021 Sep 03||7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City||Boston||$944|
|2021 Sep 10||7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston||Quebec City||$839|
|2021 Sep 17||7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City||Boston||$944|
|2021 Sep 24||7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston||Quebec City||$839|
|2021 Oct 01||7 days, one-way from Boston to Quebec City||Boston||$944|
|2021 Oct 08||7 days, one-way from Quebec City to Boston||Quebec City||$839|
|2021 Oct 15||7 days, round-trip Canada New England from Boston||Boston||$888|
|2021 Oct 22||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$839|
|2021 Oct 29||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$839|
|2021 Nov 05||7 days, round-trip Bermuda from Boston||Boston||$811|
|2021 Nov 13||4 days, round-trip Bermuda from New York||New York||$524|
|2021 Nov 17||5 days, round-trip Bermuda from New York||New York||$608|
Norwegian Gem Review
Review of Norwegian Gem
Launched in 2007, Norwegian Gem is the 4th and last of Norwegian Cruise Lines Jewel-class ships, together with Norwegian Jade, Norwegian Jewel and Norwegian Pearl. The NCL Gem ship cost US$390 million to build and was last refurbished in 2015.
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had a worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania and RSSC-Regent.
The 93,530-ton, 2,400-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Gem is Norwegian Cruise Line's newest ship of the Jewel class, designed and built by the German shipyard, Meyer Werft. The Norwegian Gem took all features of a typical Jewel-vessel and offers a myriad of highlights and services for all onboard.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Gem itinerary program is based on cruises from New York (Manhattan cruise terminal). Feature destinations include Eastern Caribbean, Bahamas and Canada with “Fall Foliage New England” themed sailings.
Norwegian Gem has a total of 1197 cabins (of which 360 Balcony, 412 Inside) in 36 grades. Most Norwegian Gem staterooms are 140-sq.foot Inside rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Gem is the Haven Garden Villa Suite (2320 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
Norwegian Gem features 13 dining venues which offer flexible hours, open seating and excellent service. Passengers will not find set tablemates and assigned dining times here. The availability at restaurants can be checked on plasma TVs throughout the ship. If the dining options are booked up for certain times, the screens list alternative reservation suggestions. Reservations can be also made in advance once onboard. Better book early at the smaller restaurants, especially for parties. Complimentary coffee, hot tea and iced tea are served with meals; bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages are at an additional charge.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Gem restaurants and food bars.
- Magenta Restaurant (forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (French speciality dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Orchid Garden (Asian restaurant, dinner-only, complimentary since 2015)
- Sushi Bar (10-seat Orchid Garden restaurant, a la carte); Sake Bar (inside Orchid Garden)
- Teppanyaki (Japanese Hibachi speciality, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Grand Pacific Restaurant (aft-location Dining Room; complimentary; Freestyle dining)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Bali Hai Bar & Grill (complimentary fast food bar); Blue Lagoon (buffet)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (speciality dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialities; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu)
- Moderno Churrascaria (Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (Italian speciality restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations); Kid's Cafe
- The Great Outdoors (outdoor buffet restaurant, complimentary)
- Topsiders Bar & Grill (poolside, complimentary).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
There are a lot of bars and nightclubs for entertainment onboard Norwegian Gem, as well as fitness facilities, rock climbing wall and jogging track. For a more relaxing atmosphere go to the library, the card room or lifestyle room. What will impress the passengers? Definitely, the Haven Garden Villas visited by famous people like Oprah Winfrey. A lot of free space is available onboard, along with 7 jacuzzis and 3 pools (Sapphire Kid’s Pool). There are also other ways for entertainment such as the Stardust Theater which offers the chance of watching singers and dancers. Entertainment options also include the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each voyage), "Rock of Ages", "Cirque Dreams", "Illusionarium" (magicians show).
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hour Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Gem tipping/gratuities are US$12 pp per day. On Norwegian Gem cruise ship, onboard weddings are allowed.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Gem lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Stardust Theatre (1042-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night)
- Bar City complex (Maltings Beer & Whisky Bar, Shakers Martini & Cocktail Bar, Magnum’s Champagne & Wine Bar); Corona Cigar Bar; Star Bar; Sugarcane Mojito Bar
- Spinnaker Lounge (372-seat, with floor-to-ceiling windows; serves as disco & night club); Java Cafe
- Atrium (2-deck midship hub area with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Leopard Lounge & Disco Club
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (speciality tea & coffee bar)
- Internet Cafe (24-hour); Art Gallery; Photo Gallery & Shop
- LifeStyles Room; Library; Card Room
- Gem Club Casino
- Gem’s Trade Routes Boutiques (tax and duty-free boutiques)
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- Ying & Yang Spa complex (Thermal Suite, Snow Room, Salt Room, Medi Spa, Smile Spa, Treatment Rooms, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop); Body Waves Fitness Centre; Tahitian Beach Pool; Sapphire Kid’s Pool
- Tree Top Kid’s Club; Video Games Arcade
- Courtyard Fitness & Spa complex (Villas-guests only, Steam Room, Gym)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Combined sports court; Jogging Track; Golf Nets; Shuffleboard, Giant Chess).
Norwegian Gem - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian GemAdd Photo
Norwegian Gem ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
The world's 3rd-largest cruise shipowner NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings) extended fleetwide suspensions for its 3 subsidiary companies (travel...June 17, 2020
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line announced it is re-categorizing fleetwide the Mini-Suite staterooms, also renaming them and adding free perks. NCL’s...April 17, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Cruise Line announced select 2020-2021 itineraries for 12 of the company's 17 ships. The new itineraries include the debut of Norwegian...April 17, 2019
A Norwegian Cruise Line ship was stranded off the city of New York after strong winds prevented docking Monday night, February 25. Norwegian Gem had...February 26, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Last week, Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Gem embarked on her first Panama Canal voyage, visiting ten new ports and debuting on the West Coast...January 9, 2019
Norwegian Gem's upcoming sailing from New York City this weekend was scrapped. Norwegian Cruise Line cited propulsion issues for the...November 8, 2017
Norwegian Gem skipped scheduled visit to Saint Maarten today (March 18) because of gastro illness. The 2,394-passenger NCL ship, currently...March 18, 2016
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Gem Wiki
NCL promoted the Gem ship launch via a dedicated "Gem It Girl" website. Online, the cruise company provided details about the newbuild and prompted its customers to submit entries in order to be chosen a godmother. Mrs Cindy Cardella was the lucky one.
NCL Gem ship is the last of fleet's Jewel-class liners, with sisterships Jewel, Jade and Pearl. Ship's Inaugural Cruise (maiden voyage) started on October 6, 2007. The 2-day mini-cruise (Oct 6-8) was a roundtrip from homeport Dover England to Amsterdam Holland.
NCL Gem refurbishment 2015 review
The list of deckplan changes after ship's drydock 2015 refurbishment (October-November) includes:
- Penthouse Suites renovation
- lounge renovations (Horizon, and Spinnaker /observation lounge)
- new dining venue will be added (O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill)
- relocation of Moderno restaurant (from deck 8 to deck 13) and replacement of the Blue Lagoon restaurant with the new O’Sheehan’s Pub (deck 8)
- relocation of the Cagney’s Steakhouse on deck 8, to make a place for the new Brazilian restaurant “Moderno Churrascaria” and the Mojito Bar “Sugarcane” (replacing the Star Bar).
- new furnishings (custom-crafted), and new furniture for the relaxation deck areas (Deck 11 & 12)
- new wall coverings, LED lighting, carpeting
- many original art-works were added in public areas.
- During drydock 2015, the ship was retrofitted with new "scrubbers" (exhaust gas cleaning systems). The new scrubber technology reduces the equivalent of approx 1500 tons of the poisonous gas Sulfur Oxide. Norwegian Cruise Line was the first cruise company retrofitting with a scrubber hybrid system vessels while in service. The new in-line scrubbers (5 units) are lightweight and able to operate in a dry mode, as well as in open and closed loops.
Norwegian Gem User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review