Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Breakaway current position
Norwegian Breakaway current location is at West Mediterranean (coordinates 41.09938 N / 2.04121 E) cruising en route to MARSEILLE^2C FR. The AIS position was reported 2 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Norwegian Breakaway
|Year built||2013 / Age: 7|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 840 million|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||326 m / 1070 ft|
|Beam (width)||51 m / 167 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||145655 gt|
|Passengers||3957 - 4819|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Christened by||The Rockettes (NYC)|
Norwegian Breakaway Review
Review of Norwegian Breakaway
Launched in 2013, Norwegian Breakaway is the first of two Breakaway-class NCL ships, together with NCL Getaway, which debuted a year later. NCL Breakaway is the largest passenger ship ever to be homeported in New York City. The next (biggest class) Norwegian vessels are the new Breakaway-Plus ships Norwegian Escape (2015), Norwegian Joy (2017) and Norwegian Bliss (2018).
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had a worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania, and RSSC-Regent.
The 145,655-ton, 4,000-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Breakaway includes the best of what the current ships from the line give customers, like the exclusive Haven (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex), calm spa and a plethora of dining options. People who decide to board this cruise ship will enjoy all that Freestyle Cruising has to offer while being on the vessel to the picturesque island of Bermuda. Remarkable cuisine, family fun, and daily entertainment, as well as wonderful staff and crew, that's what you could get.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Breakaway itinerary program is based on year-round roundtrip cruises from homeport NYC New York to Bermuda and Bahamas. In November 2018, the ship was repositioned to the Carribean and homeported in New Orleans (NOLA), making Breakaway NOLA's largest homeported liner ever. Departures are from Julia Street Cruise Terminal. The inaugural cruise departure was on November 11.
The new 7-day Western Caribbean cruise program includes 5-7-10-11-day roundtrips visiting Mexico (Cozumel, Costa Maya), Belize (Belize City, Harvest Caye Island), Grand Cayman, Jamaica (Ocho Rios).
Norwegian Breakaway has 16 passenger decks and a total of 2014 cabins (of which 1343 outside, 530 Inside, 127 single rooms) in 42 grades. Most Norwegian Breakaway staterooms are 170-sq.foot Balcony rooms (998). 42 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Breakaway is the Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suite (740 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
When it comes to dining on Norwegian Breakaway, Freestyle is the norm. It means guests can eat virtually when they want, where they want. This applies to the extra-fee dining, as well as included or free dining. Traditionalists enjoy the three "main dining rooms": The Manhattan and more-intimate Taste and Savor. Thanks to Norwegian's drive to improve all dining options in 2014, quality is generally good. Guests had complained about the declining quality, and NCL invested in improving on standards and new menu options. Healthy and vegetarian options are always available. One of Norwegian's greatest strengths is the vast range of dining venues. Passengers can try a French bistro, Italian trattoria, Asian Teppanyaki, Brazilian churrascaria, steakhouse, seafood restaurant, a raw bar, and a noodle bar. All specialty dining carries an 18% auto-gratuity.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Breakaway restaurants and food bars.
- Savor Restaurant (282-seat forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Taste Restaurant (282-seat forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (114-seat French specialty dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Teppanyaki (96-seat Japanese Hibachi specialty, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- Manhattan Restaurant (632-seat aft Dining Room; NYC private club design; complimentary; Freestyle dining, Dinner only)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (285-seat sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Shanghai’s Noodle Bar (53-seat Asian cuisine complimentary restaurant inside O’Sheehan’s Pub area)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (specialty dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialties; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu).
- Moderno Churrascaria (124-seat Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (168-seat Italian specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Ocean Blue (seafood specialty restaurant; reservations-only, US$39 per person cover charge. “Ocean Blue on the Waterfront” is the outdoor seating area)
- Raw Bar (10-seat seafood restaurant)
- Wasabi Sushi Bar (a la carte)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations)
- Open-Air Garden Cafe (the outdoor extension of Garden Cafe restaurant; complimentary)
- Uptown Bar & Grill (complimentary casual restaurant by the Aqua Park).
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
The Breakaway Theater hosts ship's most elaborate extravaganzas. It's where guests will find the Broadway-style musical productions "Rock of Ages" and "SIX", as well as the dance revue show "Burn the Floor".
The ship's 3-deck Atrium is Breakaway's activity center throughout the day with morning trivia, Nintendo U Dance 4 competition, cooking demonstrations, towel animal folding, dance classes, games. Elsewhere, other activities include seminars for detoxing, art auctions, wine tastings, bingo, international crew talent show, and solo travelers' meet and greets. The ship has a total of 9 jacuzzis and 3 pools. Entertainment options also include the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each voyage), "Rock of Ages", "Cirque Dreams", "Illusionarium" (magicians show).
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hr Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Breakaway tipping/gratuities (US$12 pp per day).
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Breakaway lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens, and adults.
- Breakaway Theatre (800-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night). Ship's evening shows include the grand musical productions "Rock of Ages" and "SIX: The Musical" (British pop musical themed on Henry VIII’s 6 wives), as well as the dance revue show "Burn the Floor".
- Spiegel Tent (217-seat theatrical entertainment dining venue “Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy”, with grand-style aerial acrobatics; surcharge $30-40 PP)
- Atrium (3-deck midship hub area - “678 Ocean Place”, with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (112-seat specialty tea & coffee bar)
- Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge (features “The Second City” comedy show and “Howl At The Moon” piano show)
- The Library; Card Room; Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Mixx Bar (live piano music; pre-dinner cocktails); Bar 21; Maltings Beer & Whisky Bar; Prime Meridian Bar; Shaker’s Cocktail Bar; Humidor Cigar Bar & Lounge (smoking venue)
- Carlo’s Bake Shop (cakes, pastries, bakeries; cupcake classes)
- The Collection Art Gallery
- Breakaway Casino
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- Dolce Gelato (Italian ice cream); Cakestand (cakes, pastries)
- SVEDKA Ice Bar (25-seat; with sculptures, glasses, and seats made of ice; room temperature is -8 degrees C/ 17 F)
- Boutiques (tax-duty free shops); Tradewinds (watches, jewelry, perfumes, handbags, alcohol, tobacco); Tides (gifts); Click (Photo Gallery & Shop)
- Waterfront Promenade (1320 ft/402 m long; open-air dining and entertainment venues)
- Studio Lounge (cruising solo guests-only venue)
- Splash Academy Club area (kids' programme for 6 months to 12 yo kids)
- Mandara Spa & Pulse Fitness complex (with 22 treatment rooms, pool, aerobics studio, and relaxation lounge)
- The Market Place (shopping alley)
- Aqua Park (3-deck, with two pools and 5 multi-level waterslides); Kid’s Aqua Park
- Spa & Fitness (Thermal Suite, Salt Room, Medi Spa, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop, fitness classes)
- Spice H2O (adults only; served by Breezeway Bar & Grill)
- Entourage Teen Centre (jukeboxes, table football, video arcades, teen disco)
- “The Haven” (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex; consists of The Haven Courtyard, The Haven Restaurant, The Haven Lounge)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Jogging Track; Sports Complex (Spider Web - enclosed 24ft/7m tall kids' climbing wall with a spiral slide, Bungee Trampoline, 9-hole Mini Golf course, the largest at sea Ropes course, Zip Line, The Plank - 8ft/2,5m extending platform)
- Vibe Beach Club (adults only)
- Syd Norman's Pour House (American rock 'n' roll bar & lounge added during 2018 refurb and replacing 160-seat Fat Cats Jazz & Blues Club).
Norwegian Breakaway - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian BreakawayAdd Photo
Norwegian Breakaway ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line opened for sale a range of winter 2022-2023 worldwide voyages for 13 of its 18 liners, providing guests with a variety of...September 26, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The world's 3rd-largest cruise shipowner - NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line - is sending a proportion of its North America-homeported cruise ships to Europe...August 17, 2020
- Cruise Industry
The world's 3rd-largest cruise shipowner NCLH (Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings) extended fleetwide suspensions for its 3 subsidiary companies (travel...June 17, 2020
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line announced it is re-categorizing fleetwide the Mini-Suite staterooms, also renaming them and adding free perks. NCL’s...April 17, 2020
On November 4, 2019, while the NCL Breakaway ship was at sea (en-route from Florida to Puerto Rico), a male passenger brutally assaulted a female...November 15, 2019
A suspicious package found at PortMiami Florida delayed the boarding process of Norwegian Breakaway. According to the City of Miami Police, the...September 23, 2019
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line is currently testing a new program that allows new customers to buy the perks generally associated with NCL's loyalty...September 17, 2019
An estimated 200 passengers were stuck in Port NOLA (New Orleans) after the cruise liner Norwegian Breakaway was forced to divert to Louisiana...September 5, 2019
Major cruise line companies are currently staying out of the path of Hurricane Dorian which results in extended voyages for some and delayed or...September 2, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Cruise Line unveiled that the critically-acclaimed British pop musical about Henry VIII’s 6 wives, SIX, will debut onboard the...August 11, 2019
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Breakaway Wiki
- Fun fact is that the ship's name was selected through a public contest (submitted by Kimberly Powell). The ship's Inaugural Cruise (Maiden Voyage) was on April 30, 2013. Ship's Godmothers are the "ROCKETTES" (from the NYC’s "Radio City Music Hall"). They were special guests on the ship's first 6 cruises, and since then - on the first sailing of every month.
- The Breakaway cruise ship is the first of two Breakaway-class NCL ships. Her sister in the fleet is the NCL Getaway. The ship's interior design company contractors are Priestmangoode (UK) and Tillberg (Sweden). Hull art designer is Peter Max.
- Breakaway's construction began on Sept 21, 2011. The vessel's name was announced on Sept 14, 2011. First Bermuda cruise was on May 12, 2013. First Transatlantic cruise (from Southampton to NYC New York) was on April 30, 2013.
- Breakaway is the biggest NYC homeported ship - leaving from New York City the whole year-round.
NCL Breakaway refurbishment 2018 review
The list of deckplan changes and works done during ship's drydock 2018 refurbishment (April 28 - May 8) at Damen Shiprepair Brest (France) included:
- fully refreshed public spaces (new flooring/carpeting, updated furniture)
- new carpeting in all staterooms
- added Syd Norman's Pour House (former "Fat Cats Jazz and Blues Club") - changed decor, new carpets, furniture, live performances of classic rock songs, an updated drink menu
- repair of shaft bearings and replacing slewing seals of the vessel's two ABB azipod thrusters (propulsion units). The operation required both propellers to be removed from the hull. Both bow thrusters were also dismantled and maintained. Both Fincantieri-made stabilizers were refitted. The hull was repainted.
Drydock 2018 was part of NCL's "Norwegian Edge" program for fleetwide upgrades (2-year project budgeted USD 400 million). Each drydock costs around USD 35-40 million.
Norwegian Breakaway User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review