Norwegian Cruise Line
Norwegian Getaway current position
Norwegian Getaway current location is at West Mediterranean (coordinates 43.35321 N / 5.31770 E) cruising en route to Marseille. The AIS position was reported 47 minutes ago.Current Position
Specifications of Norwegian Getaway
|Year built||2014 / Age: 6|
|Builder||Meyer Werft (Papenburg, Germany)|
|Building cost||USD 840 million|
|Owner||(NCLH) Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd|
|Operator||(NCL) Norwegian Cruise Line|
|Speed||22 kn / 41 kph / 25 mph|
|Length (LOA)||326 m / 1070 ft|
|Beam (width)||51 m / 167 ft|
|Gross Tonnage||146600 gt|
|Passengers||3957 - 4819|
|Decks with cabins||10|
|Christened by||Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders|
Norwegian Getaway Review
Review of Norwegian Getaway
Launched in 2014, Norwegian Getaway is the second of two Breakaway-class NCL ships, together with NCL Breakaway, which debuted in 2013. The next generation (biggest class) NCL Norwegian vessels are the new Breakaway-Plus ships Norwegian Escape (2015), Norwegian Joy (2017) and Norwegian Bliss (2018).
History - construction and ownership
Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) is a subsidiary company of the shipping corporation Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd (NCLH). NCL was founded in 1966, headquartered in Miami (Florida USA) and publicly traded (NASDAQ) company listed on NYSE (NYC). NCLH's major shareholders are the corporations Apollo Global Management (American), Genting Group (Malaysian) and TPG Capital (American). In 2017, the brand NCL had a worldwide cruise market share 8,7% (passengers) and 8,4% (revenue). NCLH (shipowner) owns the brands NCL, Oceania and RSSC-Regent.
The 145,655-ton, 4,028-passenger cruise ship Norwegian Getaway was finished and delivered to her owner, Norwegian Cruise Line, on January 10, 2014. The vessel was built by Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany and is located most of the time in Miami (where was the ceremony of naming the Norwegian Getaway on February 7, 2014). The name of Getaway was chosen after a competition. While the ship was under construction, on 5 March 2013 a fire broke out. Luckily, no one was injured and the accident did not stop the construction works.
Cruise itinerary program
Norwegian Getaway has a total of 2014 cabins (of which 1343 outside, 530 Inside, 127 single cabins) in 42 grades. Most Norwegian Getaway staterooms are 170-sq. foot Balcony rooms. 42 are the wheelchair accessible rooms. The largest aboard Norwegian Getaway is the Haven Deluxe Owner’s Suites (740 ft2).
Shipboard dining options - Food and Drinks
When it comes to dining on Norwegian Getaway, Freestyle is the norm. It means guests can eat virtually when they want, where they want. This applies to the extra-fee dining, as well as included or free dining. Traditionalists enjoy the three "main dining rooms": The Tropicana and more-intimate Taste and Savor. Thanks to Norwegian's drive to improve all dining options in 2014, quality is generally good. Guests had complained about the declining quality, and NCL invested in improving on standards and new menu options. Healthy and vegetarian options are always available. One of Norwegian's greatest strengths is the vast range of dining venues. Passengers can try a French bistro, Italian trattoria, Asian Teppanyaki, Brazilian churrascaria, steakhouse, seafood restaurant, a raw bar and a noodle bar. All speciality dining carries an 18% auto-gratuity.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Getaway restaurants and food bars.
- Savor Restaurant (282-seat forward Dining Room, complimentary)
- Taste Restaurant (282-seat forward Dining Room, complimentary, with Your Time dining)
- Le Bistro (114-seat French speciality dinner-only restaurant; reservations-only; US$20 cover charge)
- Teppanyaki (96-seat Japanese Hibachi speciality, reservations-only restaurant; US$25; open for Lunch and Dinner; features live cooking demonstrations)
- The Tropicana Restaurant (632-seat aft Dining Room; NYC private club design; complimentary; Freestyle dining, Dinner only)
- O’Sheehan’s Neighbourhood Bar & Grill (285-seat sports bar, with 24-hour American cuisine - burgers, steaks, desserts; complimentary)
- Shanghai’s Noodle Bar (53-seat Asian cuisine complimentary restaurant inside O’Sheehan’s Pub area)
- Cagney’s Steakhouse (speciality dinner restaurant for prime steaks and gourmet seafood specialities; reservations-only, US$30 cover charge per person and free Kids Menu).
- Moderno Churrascaria (124-seat Brazilian steakhouse; reservations-only; US$20 per person cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- La Cucina (168-seat Italian speciality restaurant; reservations-only, US$15 cover charge; with outdoor seating waterfront area)
- Ocean Blue (seafood speciality restaurant; reservations-only, US$39 per person cover charge. “Ocean Blue on the Waterfront” is the outdoor seating area)
- Raw Bar (10-seat seafood restaurant)
- Wasabi Sushi Bar (a la carte)
- Garden Cafe (complimentary buffet restaurant with various cuisine stations)
- Open-Air Garden Cafe (the outdoor extension of Garden Cafe restaurant; complimentary)
- Flamingo Bar & Grill (complimentary casual restaurant by the Aqua Park)
- Full-service Starbucks licensed store.
Shipboard entertainment options - Fun and Sport
Passengers can enjoy The Waterfront, new unique feature which represents an open-air promenade constructed to be the connection between guests and the ocean. There is no cruise line offering such an innovative and unique feature to its passengers. At the end of each cruise, a fireworks show is taking place. The Getaway Theater hosts ship's most elaborate extravaganzas. It's where guests will find the Broadway-style musical productions "Legally Blonde" and "SIX", as well as the famous dance revue show "Burn the Floor".
The ship's 3-deck Atrium is Getaway's activity centre throughout the day with morning trivia, Nintendo U Dance 4 competition, cooking demonstrations, towel animal folding, dance classes, games. Elsewhere, other activities include seminars for detoxing, art auctions, wine tastings, bingo, international crew talent show and solo travellers' meet and greets.
Entertainment options also include the NCL's FIREWORKS show (on each voyage), "Rock of Ages", "Cirque Dreams", "Illusionarium" (magicians show).
Additional amenities include: Complimentary 24-hr Room-Service, Supervised Kids Program ("NCL Kids"), Internet/WiFi Access, Laundry. NCL Getaway tipping/gratuities are US$12 pp per day.
Follows the complete list of Norwegian Getaway lounges, clubs and other entertainment venues for kids, teens and adults.
- Getaway Theatre (800-seat; features Broadway-style musical productions; two grand-shows per night). The evening shows feature two signature musicals - "Legally Blonde" and "SIX: The Musical" (British pop musical themed on Henry VIII’s 6 wives).
- Illusionarium (217-seat theatrical entertainment dining venue “Cirque Dreams & Dinner Jungle Fantasy”, with grand-style aerial acrobatics; surcharge $30-40 PP)
- Atrium (3-deck midship hub area - “678 Ocean Place”, with a big-size LED screen, dance area and live entertainment)
- Atrium Cafe & Bar (112-seat speciality tea & coffee bar)
- Headliners Comedy Club & Lounge (features “The Second City” comedy show and “Howl At The Moon” piano show)
- The Library; Card Room; Internet Cafe (24-hour)
- Mixx Bar (live piano music; pre-dinner cocktails); Bar 21; Prime Meridian Bar; Humidor Cigar Bar & Lounge (smoking venue); Sugar Cane Mojito Bar; Sunset Bar; Malting's; Shaker's
- Syd Norman’s Pour House (rock ‘n’ roll-themed venue featuring rock-themed cocktails, movies, events, and live tribute bands performing 60s, 70s and 80s hits)
- Carlo’s Bake Shop (cakes, pastries, bakeries; cupcake classes)
- The Collection Art Gallery
- Getaway Casino
- Bliss Ultra Lounge & Nightclub
- Dolce Gelato (Italian ice cream); Cakestand (cakes, pastries)
- Fat Cats Lounge & Club (160-seat Jazz & Blues live performances)
- SVEDKA Ice Bar (25-seat; with sculptures, glasses and seats made of ice; room temperature is -8 degrees C/ 17 F)
- Boutiques (tax-duty free shops); Tradewinds (watches, jewellery, perfumes, handbags, alcohol, tobacco); Tides (gifts); Click (Photo Gallery & Shop)
- Waterfront Promenade (1320 ft/402 m long; open-air dining and entertainment venues)
- Studio Lounge (cruising solo guests-only venue)
- Splash Academy Club area (kids' programme for 6 months to 12 yo kids)
- Spa & Fitness complex (with 22 treatment rooms, pool, aerobics studio and relaxation lounge)
- The Market Place (shopping alley)
- Aqua Park (3-deck, with two pools and 5 multi-level waterslides); Kid’s Aqua Park; 9 jacuzzis
- Spa & Fitness (Thermal Suite, Salt Room, Medi Spa, Beauty Salon, Barber Shop, fitness classes)
- Spice H2O (adults only; served by Breezeway Bar & Grill)
- Entourage Teen Centre (jukeboxes, table football, video arcades, teen disco)
- “The Haven” (Suite- and Villa-passengers only complex; consists of The Haven Courtyard, The Haven Restaurant, The Haven Lounge)
- Rock Climbing Wall; Jogging Track; Sports Complex (Spider Web - enclosed 24ft/7m tall kids' climbing wall with a spiral slide, Bungee Trampoline, 9-hole Mini Golf course, the largest at sea Ropes course, Zip Line, The Plank - 8ft/2,5m extending platform)
- Vibe Beach Club (adults only).
Norwegian Getaway - user reviews and comments
Photos of Norwegian GetawayAdd Photo
Norwegian Getaway ship related cruise news
- Cruise Industry
NCL-Norwegian Cruise Line announced it is re-categorizing fleetwide the Mini-Suite staterooms, also renaming them and adding free perks. NCL’s...April 17, 2020
- Cruise Industry
Portland UK’s cruise season ended with the arrival of one of world's largest passenger liners - Norwegian Getaway (NCL) which docked on October...October 28, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Cruise Line unveiled that the critically-acclaimed British pop musical about Henry VIII’s 6 wives, SIX, will debut onboard the...August 11, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Cruise Line celebrated the completion of the first sailing of Norwegian Getaway after vessel’s extensive refurbishment as part of The...June 9, 2019
A 20-year-old man has died on board a Norwegian Cruise Line's ship anchored off Scotland's coast, with 2 fellow travellers falling ill and needing to...June 6, 2019
- Cruise Industry
Norwegian Cruise Line announced select 2020-2021 itineraries for 12 of the company's 17 ships. The new itineraries include the debut of Norwegian...April 17, 2019
The growing Hurricane Michael forced cruise ships carrying over 12,000 passengers to alter their courses on Monday, October 8. The 2,980...October 9, 2018
A Norwegian Cruise Line ship sailing to Mexico and Caribbean from Miami Florida stopped almost as soon as it had departed on Sunday, September 2, to...September 6, 2018
A Carnival cruise ship came to the rescue of a Norwegian crew member who went overboard on Saturday. According to multiple reports, Norwegian...July 2, 2018
The U.S. Coast Guard is still searching for an NCL Norwegian crew member who fell overboard on Saturday, June 30, off the coast of Cuba. The 33-year...July 1, 2018
- show more news
Other Norwegian Cruise Line cruise ships
Norwegian Getaway Wiki
"Norwegian Getaway" as ship name was selected via online naming contest, and it was submitted by Dennis Hultman (from Vienna VA, USA).
Getaway is NCL's second Breakaway-Class liner, with sistership Breakaway. Vessel's hull design is by David "LEBO" Le Batard (a celebrity artist from Miami FL). Interior ship design companies are Priestmangoode (England) and Tillberg (Sweden). The Inaugural Cruise (Maiden Voyage) started on January 16, 2014 (11-day Transatlantic repositioning crossing from Rotterdam to Miami). Ship's godmothers are Miami Dolphins Cheerleaders - the entire cheerleading squad of the football team Miami Dolphins.
During 2016 Summer Olympics (August 5-21), the liner took a break from its regular schedule and served as a hotel ship for corporate sponsors and members of the National Organizing Committees, International Olympic Federation and Rio Host Committee. The liner was anchored at Pier Maua in Rio de Janeiro Brazil one day ahead of the opening ceremony (August 4) and stayed until the games closed on August 21.
Norwegian Getaway User Reviews
There are no user reviews for this ship. Be first, share your experience!Write a Review