King’s Wharf cruise port (aka "West End", fka "Royal Naval Dockyard") is located on Bermuda's westernmost tip. Port's cruising season is from spring to early autumn.
The building of this nay complex started right after the Napoleonic War. Its purpose was to serve as a British military outpost. In 1957, after the US Military had established presence, The facility was turned into tourists destination with shops, museums, restaurants, theater, craft market and center for arts.
- Her/His Majesty's Dockyard, Bermuda (HMD Bermuda) was Royal Navy's principal base in the Western Atlantic between the American independence and Cold War. Bermuda had taken up a position astride the homeward leg taken by a lot of European ships from the New World since before the settlement by England in 1609.
- The privateers from France may have used the isles as a staging site for operations against the Spanish galleons during the 16th century. The privateers from Bermuda certainly played a role in a wealth of Imperial wars following the settlement. Despite this, it wasn't until the loss of bases on most North American Atlantic seaboard threatened Britain's supremacy in Western Atlantic that the isle assumed importance as a naval base.
- The Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda replaced the Royal Naval Dockyard in 1818 as the British headquarters for North America and West Indies Station.
- After the closure of most of the base as a naval dockyard in 1957, it fell into a disrepair state. Lack of maintenance and storms caused damage to lots of buildings.
- Beginning in 1980s increased tourism to Bermuda energized interest in renovating the dockyard and turning it into an attraction for tourists. Currently, cruise ships land regularly at the dockyard during summer (the place is called by cruise lines King's Wharf). The WEDCO (West End Development Corporation) was established in 1982 as quango to oversee the development of former Admiralty lands on Boaz, Ireland, and Watford islands.
- To serve the visitors, a number of former warehouses were turned into artists shops and pedestrian mall opened in the clock tower building. Currently, the keep area is the site of Bermuda Maritime Museum and Dolphin Quest attraction. There are several restaurants and money is still being raised in order to repair the remaining buildings and create a 2nd dock to attract additional ships. As of April 2011 the mega-ship dock has been built.
- The ship was scheduled to dock in King's Wharf on 5-day roundtrips from NYC New York.
- The voyages were themed as "Halloween On The High Seas Bermuda Cruise", with departure dates October 4, 13 (6-day), 19, 24 and 29.
- Walt Disney passengers enjoyed 2 full days in port, while the six-day itinerary offered 3 full port days.
- The ship was scheduled in arrive in King's Wharf at 11 am and depart at 3 pm.
Kings Wharf cruise terminal
King’s Wharf cruise port has two terminals / docks - King’s Wharf and Heritage Wharf. They are located in the port's main area and right next to one another. Both terminals have visitor info centres.
The cruise terminal complex covers around 6 acres. Everything is accessible within an easy walking distance from the pier.
- The only transportation option not available at the terminals is rent-a-car as only Bermuda residents are allowed to drive a car. You can hire scooter or bike.
- At the cruise port there are are also taxis per hour. Rates vary between $30-40. There are taxi ranks at King’s Wharf cruise terminal and near the National Museum.
- The fastest way to explore the are is by ferry. The daily pass for all ferries costs $13. Regularly scheduled ferries run between Kings Wharf and St George’s, Warwick, Hamilton, Paget and Somerset.
- Bermuda Train Company offers daily service every 20 min to different locations.
- The local bus service runs every 15 min near (every hour on Sundays).
Kings Wharf tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Beaches: there are 34 and they all are unique. Bermuda is famous for its pink sand beaches. They are located on the south shore and are breathtaking.
- Clocktower Mall: the biggest shopping center.
- Dolphin Quest: see, touch and feed a dolphin. You can also watch performances or swim with them.
- Bermuda Maritime Museum: explore everything about the seafaring history in Bermuda.
- The Bermuda Craft Market: the largest marketplace on Bermuda. Buy clothes, glassware, jewellery, woodworks and more.
- Bermuda Rum Cake Bakery: taste those delicious Gosling rum cakes.
- Neptune Theatre: located on Victualling Yard is the cinema.
Hotels near Kings Wharf cruise port terminal
- The Fairmont Southampton Hotel
- Grotto Bay Beach Resort
- Coco Reef Bermuda
- Cambridge Beaches Resort & Spa
- Surf Side Beach Club
- The Fairmont Hamilton Princess
- Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort & Spa
- Elbow Beach
- Aunt Nea’s Inn At Hillcrest
- Inverurie Executive Suites
- Royal Palms Hotel
- The Reefs Hotel and Club
- Rosewood Tucker’s Point
- Rosedon Hotel
- Pink Beach Club
Port Kings Wharf cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Kings Wharf, Bermuda. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|8 December, 2018|
|Anthem of the Seas||09:00||15:00|
|16 December, 2018|
The Kings Wharf cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Kings Wharf, Bermuda.
If you lose the Kings Wharf location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
A 30-year-old man of Mississippi is accused of raping a child while on a cruise from Boston to Kings Wharf Bermuda. ...September 2, 2017
On Saturday afternoon (August 20), police received a report of death onboard Grandeur of the Seas in Dockyard (Kings Wharf, Bermuda), with a 45-year...August 22, 2016
- show more news