Savona is a major port city on the Italian Riviera (Riviera di Ponente) located close to Genoa. The city covers a total area of approx 66 km2 (25 ml2) and has population over 60,000. Savona is located approx 35 km (22 ml) from Genoa Airport, approx 220 km (135 ml) from Malpensa Airport (Milan) and approx 160 km (100 ml) from Nice (Cote d’Azur, French Riviera).
As cruise port, Savona is also the primary Mediterranean homeport of Costa Cruises. Regularly scheduled cruiseferries connect Savona to Corsica (Bastia, Ile Rousse), mainland Spain (Barcelona) and Morocco (Tangier-Med).
The city is not flashy, but attracts numerous international tourists with its reach history, unique architecture and long beaches. Most shops don't work between 1-4 pm. City's main attractions include Assunta Cathedral, Cappella Sistina (15th century Chapel with the Mausoleum of Pope Sixtus IV), Nostra Signora di Castello (church), Sanctuary of Nostra Signora della Misericordia, Leon Pancaldo Tower, Brandale Tower, Priamar fortress (16th century), Palazzo Della Rovere, Palazzo Gavotti, Palazzo Delle Piane. Fun fact is that the Italian colonist Christopher Columbus (1451-1506) settled here to record his American voyages' history.
Savona is ranked Italy's 4th largest cruise port by annually handled passengers (1,3 million in 2013). The seaport is adjacent to city's historic downtown and since the Middle Ages its shipping trade is of ultimate importance for Liguria Region's economy.
Daily ferry connections from Savona are provided by the large companies Corsica-Sardinia Ferries (to Corsica) and Grimaldi Lines (to Barcelona and Tangier). Ferries connect to Bastia with 14 weekly crossings, and with 1 crossing per week to Ile Rousse, Barcelona and Tangier.
On December 14, 2018, at Palacrociere Terminal, Costa Cruises and Savona's port authprity company (Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority) signed a cruise terminal concession extension through 2044. The event was attended by Paolo Emilio Signorini (port authority's President), Neil Palomba (Costa's President), Giovanni Toti (Liguria Region's President) and Ilaria Caprioglio (Savona's Mayor).
For November 3, 2019, in Port Savona is scheduled the christening ceremony for the newbuild Costa Smeralda (length 337 m, max capacity 6500 passengers. For the period 2019-2021, the new liner is homeported here for Saturday departures on 7-day itinerary visiting Marseille, Barcelona, Palma, Civitavecchia-Rome and La Spezia.
To accommodate one of the world's largest passenger ships, the port invested EUR 24 million for consolidation of the quay, berth extension and dredging (deepening) the sea bed in front Palacrociere Terminal from 9 m to 11 m (36 ft). These works cost the port authority EUR 19,35 million. Costa invested EUR 4,5 million into 2 new mooring fingers (to extend the berth). For season 2019, the cruise port had scheduled 155 calls by Costa ships.
Savona cruise terminal
Savona cruise port was opened in 2003 and is operated by Costa Crociere. The passenger terminal Palacrociere serves mainly as homeport for cruises and as facilities offer large check-in area and separate baggage handling hall. The 3-storey building (sized 8300 m2 / 89,350 ft2) also provides W-Fi Internet access, bars, cafes, restaurants. The cruise terminal has a huge balcony (sized 1200 m2 / 13,000 ft2) and large covered parking for passenger cars, tour buses and taxis. Parking daily rate is EUR 12 per vehicle.
Palacrociere terminal is within walking distance from downtown (around 300 m / 1000 ft) across a bridge. Close to the terminal is located a train station. In 2008, Costa inaugurated a new quay. Cruise port's current docking capacity is 3 ships simultaneously.
Savona tours, shore excursions, hotels
City Tours and Shore Excursions
- Priamar Fortress: dates from 1542. It was built by the Genoese and served as a prison for a long time. The Primar fortress is close to Rocca di San Georgio.
- Cappella Sistina: dates from the 1480s. The style of the building is in Rococo and it houses a mausoleum. It was constructed by Pope Sixtus IV. The Cappella Sistina is close to the cathedral.
- Palazzo Della Rovere: an old unfinished palace. It had to serve as a palace, then it had to be university but it still stands unfinished located near the cathedral.
- The Old Towers: the old towers of Savona are five and are in different areas of the city. Those are the ones that survived the attack in the 16th century.
- Church of Nostra Signiora de Castello: the most interesting about this place is its interior. The most popular attraction is the piece of the alter. Its designer is Vincenzo Foppa.
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mercy: located 7 km from Savona cruise port. The place appeared to be the shelter of Our Lady. There is a church that dates from the 1536. The architecture is impressive Baroque. Inside the church is painted by hand over centuries by various artists.
- Christopher Columbus’s House: the house of the famous explorer is some kilometers from Savo cruise port. He spent here many of his young years.
Port Savona cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Savona, Italy. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|2 February, 2019|
|9 February, 2019|
|16 February, 2019|
|23 February, 2019|
The Savona cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Savona, Italy.
If you lose the Savona location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
- Cruise Industry
On Friday, December 14, at Palacrociere terminal, Costa Cruises and Western Ligurian Sea Port Authority signed the renewal of the contract to extend...December 17, 2018
- Cruise Industry
During the 25th special event “Protagonisti del Mare”, Costa Cruises presented a virtual reality preview of its new flagship, Costa...May 4, 2018
- show more news