Little Diomede Island (formerly known as Krusenstern Island) is part of Alaska, United States. The island covers a total area of approx 7,3 km2 (2,8 ml2) and has a population of around 110 people (2010 census).
- Little Diomede is smaller than neighboring island, Big Diomede, and both are located in the middle of Bering Strait between Siberia and Alaska mainland. Big Diomede is less than 3,9 km (2,4 ml) to the west, but is part of Russia, west of the International Date Line. Little Diomede, unlike its bigger Russian neighbor, has permanent native population.
- The entirety of the isle is in Diomede city. Little Diomede is not part of any organized borough and some services are offered directly by the state.
- During the Cold War, a section of the border between the USSR and the USA separating Big and Little Diomede became popular as the "Ice Curtain". However, in 1987 Lynne Cox (born 1957) swam from Little to Big Diomede (about 3,5 km/2,2 ml) and was congratulated jointly by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev.
- The highest point on the island is 494 m (1,621 ft), about halfway along the west coast, 2,4 km (1,5 ml) southeast of the village, facing Big Diomede's southern tip.
- There is a heliport on Little Diomede Island, Diomede Heliport, featuring regular helicopter flights. In the winter, the locals carve a runway into the ice sheet so that planes can deliver vital products like medicine. Because of the annual variations of the ice sheet, this runway changes position.
- An interesting fact is that Little Diomede Island was featured in the 1st episode of the BBC documentary Full Circle (featuring Michael Palin).
Highlights: Bird cliffs
Little Diomede Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Little Diomede Island (aka Krusenstern Island) dock (anchor) at Diomede - port town on the west coast.
Port Little Diomede Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Little Diomede Island, Alaska. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Little Diomede Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Little Diomede Island, Alaska.
If you lose the Little Diomede Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.