Nessebar is an ancient port town and one of the major seaside resorts on the Black Sea Coast of Bulgaria, located in the province of Burgas. The town covers a total area of approx 31,852 km2 (12,298 ml2) and has a population of around 13,350 people (2010 census).
- Nessebar is the administrative centre of homonymous Nesebar Municipality. It is often called the "Pearl of the Black Sea", Nesebar is also a rich city-museum defined by over 3 millennia ever-changing history.
- The town is among the most prominent seaports and tourist destinations on the Black Sea, in what has become a well known area with a number of large resorts: the biggest one, Sunny Beach, lies to the north of port Nesebar.
- On several occasions the town of Nessebar has found itself on the frontier of threatened empire. As such it's a town with rich history. Nessebar's ancient part lies on a peninsula linked with mainland via a narrow man-made isthmus,. It bears evidence of occupation by various civilisations over its existence course. The abundance of historic buildings made UNESCO include Nessebar in its list of World Heritage Sites 1983.
- In Greek, the settlement was known as Mesembria, sometimes also mentioned as Melsembria (the city of Melsas) or Mesambria. According to reconstruction this name may derive from Thracian Melsambria. However, the Thracian origin of the name seems doubtful. Moreover, the tradition belonging to Melsas, as city's founder is tenuous and belongs to etymological legends' cycle abundant among Greek cities.
- Nesebar is sometimes considered to be the settlement with the highest number of churches per capita. Currently, a total of 40 churches survive, partly or wholly, in the vicinity of Nessebar.
Highlights: Ancient town, Byzantine churches, beaches
The Nessebar cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Nessebar, Bulgaria.
If you lose the Nessebar location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.