Poros is a small Greek island-pair located in the southern part of Saronic Gulf, about 58 km (36 ml) south from Piraeus, separated from Peloponnese via a 200 m (656 ft) wide sea channel, with Galatas situated on mainland across the strait. The island covers a total area of approx 31 km2 (12 ml2) and has a population of around 4,000 people (2011 census).
- The ancient name of the island of Poros was Pogon. Just liike other ports located in the Saronic Gulf, it is a popular weekend destination for travellers from Athens.
- Poros Island consists of 2 isles: Sphairia, of volcanic origin, which is the southern part, where today's city is situated, and Kalaureia, also called Calauria or Kalavria (translated to 'gentle breeze'), which is the northern and biggest part. A bridge links the two isles over a tight strait.
- Poros has rich vegetation. Much of its northern, far eastern and western sides are bushy, whereas vast areas of old pine forest lie in the south and center of Poros Island. It features a good road network and tourist infrastructure, making Poros a popular resort for brief holidays.
- Though having no airport, Poros Island is easily accessible from Piraeus via hydrofoil or ferry. One can reach it by bus or car from the mainland at Galatas.
- Poros Island's Archaeological Museum, at Korizis Square, houses relics from the Sanctuary of Poseidon, ancient Troizen, and other archaeological sites located nearby.
- In the island's northern part are the remains of Sanctuary of Poseidon, centre of Kalaureian amphictyony.
- Poros Island was the site of the first modern Greek naval base, established during the Greek War of Independence in 1827.
Poros Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Poros Island dock (anchor) at Poros - port town on the southern coast.
Port Poros Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Poros Island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
The Poros Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Poros Island, Greece.
If you lose the Poros Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.