Qaanaaq (formerly Thule/New Thule) is a port town located in the northern part of Qaasuitsup municipality, northwestern Greenland. The town has population of around 660 people (2013 census).
- Qaanaaq is among the world's northernmost towns. Its inhabitants speak Danish and Kalaallisut, and many also speak Inuktun language.
- Qaanaaq area was first settled around 2000 BC by Paleo-Eskimo migrating from Canadian Arctic.
- The town of Qaanaaq was founded in the winter of 1953. The United States expanded the airbase at Thule at the time and forcibly relocated the population of Dundas and Pituffik 31 km (19 ml) to the north within 4 days during the height of Cold War. Subsequently, the settlement was moved another 100 km (62 ml) to the north.
- Ways of living so far north in such severe climatic conditions are passed on through generations, and the ability to adapt has contributed to this small community's survival.
- When the sea becomes open around August, big dinghies with powerful engines are employed for both ordinary journeys and hunting trips. It is still light 24 hours per day at this time and the Midnight Sun lasts from the middle of April till the end of August.
- Nothing from the hunting goes to waste: all skins are used for covering the kayaks and clothing; the offal and flesh are eaten by domestic animals and humans; the walrus and narwhal tusks are carved into jewellery, hunting implements and finely-worked figures; even feathers are used in handicrafts.
Highlights: Thule Airbase, Siorapaluk
Port Qaanaaq cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Qaanaaq, Greenland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|1 August, 2018|
|9 August, 2018|
|MS Fram||At Sea|
|21 August, 2018|
|Hanseatic||Cape York Peninsula, Queensland, Australia|
|22 August, 2018|
|Le Soleal||Baffin Island, Nunavut, Arctic Canada|
|24 August, 2018|
|MS Fram||At Sea|
The Qaanaaq cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Qaanaaq, Greenland.
If you lose the Qaanaaq location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.