Sapelo Island (Georgia)

Cruise Port schedule, map, terminals, news

Rating:

Region
East Coast USA and Canada New England

Local Time
06:40 24 Jul 2017

Coordinates
31.46307 N, -81.27047 W

  Port Map

Sapelo Island is a state-protected barrier island situated in McIntosh County, Georgia. It is only accessible via aircraft or boat, with the prime ferry coming from Sapelo Island Visitors Center (McIntosh County, Georgia), a 7-mile (11 km), 20-minute trip.

Hog Hammock community, also popular as Hogg Hummock, includes a bar, general store, public library, homes and small businesses like vacation rentals. There are 2 active church congregations found in Hog Hammock: Saint Luke Baptist Church, established in 1885, and First African Baptist Church (1866). The latter congregation features an older building famous as First African Baptist Church at Raccoon Bluff, built in 1900 in the former community of Raccoon Bluff north of Hog Hammock. It's used for special programs and services.

Approximately 97% of Sapelo Island is owned by the state of Georgia and managed by Georgia Department of Natural Resources, while the remainder 3% is under private ownership. Sapelo's western perimeter is SINERR (Sapelo Island National Estuarine Research Reserve), part of NOAA's NERR (National Estuarine Research Reserve system). The University of Georgia Marine Institute, focused on education and research, is located on 610 ha (1,500 acres) on the island's south end. Reynolds Mansion, Georgia State Park, is also on the south end of Sapelo. Visitors must be a part of organized tours or guests of residents on Sapelo Island. Sapelo also has a private airport run by Georgia.

In 1949 Sapelo owner R. J. Reynolds, Jr. established Sapelo Island Research Foundation. He later funded a research of Eugene Odum (1913-2002), whose "The Ecology of a Salt Marsh" of 1958 won wide acclaim in scientific circles. The paper showed the fragility of nature's cycle in the wetlands. The research of Odum, done on Sapelo Island, helped launch the contemporary ecology movement.

Georgia DNR (Department of Natural Resources) offers tours several days per week. These can be booked via Sapelo Island Visitors Center. Many island residents also offer private tours, that can often be modified to fit the individual interests of tourists. A state campground is available to groups of 15-25 people on Cabretta Island, which is adjacent to Sapelo.


Highlights: Reynolds Mansion, Hog Hammock

Sapelo Island cruise terminal

Cruise ships to Sapelo Island dock (anchor) at Jacksonville (JAXPORT, Florida).

The Sapelo Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Sapelo Island, Georgia.

If you lose the Sapelo Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.

Port Sapelo Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Sapelo Island, Georgia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.

Day Ships in port
Wednesday
29 November, 2017
American Star(arriving at 29 Nov - departing at 29 Nov)
Thursday
30 November, 2017
MS Independence(arriving at 30 Nov - departing at 30 Nov)