Silistra is a Danube River cruise port located in northeastern Bulgaria. The city covers a total area of approx 27,159 km2 (10,486 ml2) and has a population of around 35,230 people (2012 census).
- Silistra lies on the southern bank of lower Danube river, and is also part of the Romanian border where it stops following the river. Silistra is the administrative center of Silistra Province and one of the most important cities of the historical Southern Dobrudzha region.
- The Romans erected a fortress in AD 29 on the site of earlier Thracian settlement and kept the name, Durostorum (Dorostorum).
- Silistra is also a major industrial, transportation, educational and cultural center of northeastern Bulgaria. There are a wealth of historical landmarks including the richly-decorated Late Roman tomb, an Ottoman fort, remains of а Medieval fortress, and an art gallery.
- The name of the port city is possibly derived from the root of the old Thracian name of lower part of the Danube "Istrum". According to another theory, the name Silistra comes from the Latin "silo" and "stra", meaning "awl" and "strategy".
- Silistra Knoll on Livingston Island in South Shetland Islands, Antarctica is named after the Bulgarian city. "Silistra" is also the name of a fictional planet in the book of Janet Morris "High Couch of Silistra" (1977).
Highlights: Fortress, Silistra Tomb
The Silistra cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Silistra, Bulgaria.
If you lose the Silistra location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Silistra cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Silistra, Bulgaria. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
23 April, 2018
25 April, 2018