Skomer (Ynys Sgomer in Welsh) is an island located off the coast of Pembrokeshire, west Wales. The island covers a total area of approx 2,92 km2 (1,13 ml2).
- Skomer Island was permanently inhabited for the last time by the Codd family in 1950. In the 1960s David Saunders who was warden of Skomer, lived there with his family for 7 years.
- Skomer Island is popular for its wildlife: around half the population of Manx shearwaters in the world nest on the island: the colony of Atlantic puffins is the largest found in southern Britain, and Skomer vole (subspecies of bank vole) is unique to Skomer.
- The island is also famous for its archeological interest: standing stone, stone circles, remains of prehistoric houses. Skomer is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, Special Protection Area and national nature reserve. Much of it has also been designated ancient monument.
- Skomer Island is managed by the Wildlife Trust of South & West Wales. The island is surrounded by marine nature reserve. There is currently a hostel there so visitors can remain after day trippers take the boat home.
- Boats sail to Skomer Island from Martin's Haven located on the mainland, a 10-minute trip every day except on Mondays from April through October between 10:00 a.m. and noon (actual times vary). Return sailings are from 3:00 p.m. but the boatman advises on the day. There is a limit on the number of tourists allowed to visit Skomer (250 per day).
- Skomer Island was featured in Episode 4 of Series 5 of the BBC TV documentary Coast (first aired in August 2010).
Highlights: Bird Sanctuary
Skomer Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Skomer Island dock (anchor) at Martin's Haven on the mainland.
The Skomer Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Skomer Island, Wales.
If you lose the Skomer Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Skomer Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Skomer Island, Wales. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
5 September, 2017