Skyros is an island in Greece, located in the southernmost part of the Sporades archipelago (Aegean Sea). The island covers a total area of approx 223,10 km2 (86,14 ml2) and has a population of around 3,000 people (2011 census).
- During the 2nd millennium BC and later, the island was famous as The Island of the Magnetes and the Magnetes used to live there, as well as the Pelasgia, Dolopia and later Skyros. It is the biggest of the Sporades and is part of Euboea regional unit.
- The north of the island is forested, while the south, which is dominated by the highest mountain, Kochila, (792 m/2,598 ft), is rocky and bare. The capital of the island is also called Skyros (locally, Chora). The major port, located on the west coast, is Linaria.
- Skyros Island has a castle (kastro) dating back from the Venetian occupation (13th-15th centuries) and Byzantine monastery (Monastery of Saint George). There are a lot of beaches on the coast. Skyros has its own Skyrian ponies' breed.
- The famous English poet Rupert Brooke (1887-1915) is buried on Skyros. He died onboard a French hospital ship moored off Skyros in 1915, during WWI. The grave of Rupert Brooke is in an olive grove by the road that leads to Tris Boukes harbour.
- The Hellenic Air Force has its major base located in Skyros, because of the strategic location of the island in the middle of Aegean Sea. Skyros is home to Skyros Island National Airport, which is a one-runway airport.
- Skyros Shipping Company operates ferry service to Skyros. The ferry runs twice per day during holiday season from Kymi to Linaria (located on Skyros). During the winter the service operates daily.
Skyros Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Skyros Island dock (anchor) at Skyros - port town on the northeastern coast.
The Skyros Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Skyros Island, Greece.
If you lose the Skyros Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Skyros Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Skyros Island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
12 October, 2017