Tinian Island is one of the 3 principal islands of the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands. The island covers a total area of approx 101 km2 (39 ml2) and has a population of around 3,140 people (2010 census).
- Together with neighboring Aguijan Island (uninhabited), Tinian Island forms Tinian Municipality, which is one of the 4 constituent municipalities of Northern Marianas. The largest village on Tinian is San Jose.
- Tinian Island is about 9,3 km (5,8 ml) southwest of Saipan, from which it is divided by Saipan Channel. The highest elevation is at Mount Lasso at 171 m (561 ft).
- Most of Tinian inhabitants are Chamorros (around 75%) and members of variety of other groups of islands in Caroline Islands. There are also East Asian, Filipino, Bangladeshi and European-descended people minorities.
- The island boasts a variety of flora and fauna, limestone cliffs and caves. Tinian monarch is the only endemic bird species on the island and it's threatened by habitat loss. There's a variety of coral reefs surrounding the island and abundant marine life. Its warm waters are ideal for scuba diving, snorkeling and sport fishing.
- Much of Tinian's local economy is dependent on tourism. Agriculture is on subsistence level. Island's largest employer is the government.
- Tourist infrastructure is poorly developed on Tinian Island. San Jose village has a few smaller hotels, bars and restaurants. Tinian Airport is serviced by Star Marianas Air, operating daily scheduled flights. The ferry boat service which operated twice per day between Saipan and Tinian ran at a loss of US$1 million per year, and has ceased.
Tinian Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Tinian Island Marianas dock (anchor) at San Jose - port town on the southwestern coast.
The Tinian Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Tinian Island, Marianas.
If you lose the Tinian Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.