Torishima Island (aka Tori-shima or Izu-no-Tori-shima), literally translated to "Bird Island", is an uninhabited island of Japan located in the Pacific Ocean. The island covers a total area of approx 4,79 km2 (1,85 ml2).
- The volcanic island of Torishima is part of Izu Islands. It lies in the Philippine Sea approx 600 km (373 ml) south of Tokyo and 76 km (47 ml) north of Lot's Wife. The highest peak on the island, Io-zan, features a height of 394 m (1,293 ft). The circular-shaped isle is listed as Class A active volcano by Japan Meteorological Agency.
- Torishima Island is the above-water portion of submarine volcano, which submerged caldera portion situated to the north of the island erupts underwater. Volcanic activity was recorded for the last time in 2002, along with earthquake swarms.
- Repeated volcanic eruptions have set the flora on Torishima Island back to initial stages in ecological succession. Plants like hydrangea and Vitex rotundifolia are found close to the shoreline. Japanese black pine and Chrysanthemum pacificum occupy sheltered areas inland, but most of island's central portion remains as volcanic rock and ash.
- Torishima Island was known to Japanese mariners and fishermen since at least early Edo period, but it was uninhabited, except for occasional shipwreck survivors. 14-year-old Nakahama Manjiro and 4 friends were shipwrecked on the island in 1841 until rescued by John Howland, American whaler ship.
- Torishima Island homes a number of tens of thousands of breeding pairs Tristram's storm petrel and other birds like black-footed albatross, blue rock thrush, common kestrel and Japanese murrelet, but the population of short-tailed albatross has been slow to recover, with its recovery hampered by the large numbers of black rats, which are the only remaining mammal on the isle. Dolphins and Humpback whales often appear around Torishima Island during breeding and migration seasons.
Highlights: Bird Sanctuary
Port Torishima Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Torishima Island, Japan. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|6 May, 2019|
|Silver Explorer||13:00||17:00||At Sea|
The Torishima Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Torishima Island, Japan.
If you lose the Torishima Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.