Trobriand Islands (PNG) are located in the Solomon Sea, to the northeast of the New Guinea Island (mainland PNG.
- The archipelago consists of 4 large islands (Kiriwina, Kaileuna, Vakuta, Kitava), islets and coral atolls, with a total land area of approx 450 km2 (174 ml2).
- The group's total population is around 13,000 (all indigenous people), most of them living on Kiriwina.
- Trobriand Islands are considered an important tropical rainforest region that needs to be conserved and protected.
- Over 6% of the islands's inhabitants are between 60-95 years of age.
- These people are mostly horticulturalists. Matrilineal clans control the land and its resources. Hunger and scarcity of food is often an isssue due to poor growing conditions.
- Eating in front of others is taboo. They eat alone, or turn their backs on one another and eat rapidly for fear of being observed.
- They eat mainly yams (vegetables) and often chew betel nuts (mixed with pepper plant and slaked lime) causing their teeth to appear red.
- At 7-8 years of age, children are allowed to play erotic games and start to imitate adult seductive behaviour. At the age of 12-15 they begin to pursue sexual partners. Partners are changed often (no traditional marriages). Women are equal to men in pursuing or refusing a partner. The married couple starts to eat together (which is officially recognized as a marriage) for about a year, then go back to eating separately. If after 1 year the woman is unhappy, she may divorce her husband. Couples get divorced also if the man chooses another woman.
Highlights: Kiriwina, Kitava, Narutu
The Trobriand Islands cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Trobriand Islands, Papua New Guinea.
If you lose the Trobriand Islands location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Trobriand Islands cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Trobriand Islands, Papua New Guinea. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
- December, 2016
|Day||Ships in port|
21 December, 2016