Unst is among the North Isles of Shetland Islands, Scotland. The island covers a total area of approx 120 km2 (46 ml2) and has a population of around 630 people.
- Unst Island is the northernmost of all inhabited British Isles and the 3rd largest island in Shetland following Mainland and Yell.
- Unst Island is largely grassland and coastal cliffs. Baltasound, formerly the 2nd largest herring fishing port following Lerwick, is its main village. Currently, it is the location of the island's airport and leisure centre.
- Other impotant settlements include Uyeasound, which is home to the Hanseatic warehouse Greenwell's Booth and Muness Castle (erected in 1598, sacked by pirates 1627); and Haroldswick, site of a boat museum and heritage centre.
- Ferries link Belmont on Unst with Oddsta on Fetlar and Gutcher on Yell. At the island's southern end, above the ferry terminal, stands Belmont House. Belmont dates back to 1775, and has been described as "possibly the most ambitious, least-altered classical mansion in the Northern Isles." Between 1996-2010 it was restored by a charitable trust, who currently operate the building as venue for hire.
- Unst Island is of great importance for its seabird colonies, including the ones at Hermaness National Nature Reserve. It's also popular for its plant life, including Shetland Mouse-ear (unique to the island) and Norwegian sandwort. The commonly seen on the island skua is popular as the "bonxie".
Highlights: Shetland Island, Baltasound, Valhalla Brewery, Saxa Vard
Unst Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Unst Island dock (anchor) at Baltasound on the eastern coast.
The Unst Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Unst Island, Shetland, Scotland.
If you lose the Unst Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.