Vieques (aka Isla de Vieques) is an island–municipality of Puerto Rico located in the northeastern Caribbean, part of island grouping sometimes referred to as the Spanish Virgin Islands. The island covers a total area of approx 348,15 km2 (134,42 ml2) and has a population of around 9,300 people (2010 census).
- Vieques is part of Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. It retains strong influences from more than 400 years of Spanish presence.
- Vieques Island lies approx 13 km (8 ml) east of the mainland Puerto Rico, and measures about 34 km (21 ml) long by 6 km (4 ml) wide. Its most populated barrio is Isabel Segunda (also written "Isabel II"), the administrative center on island's northern side.
- The name of Vieques Island is a Spanish spelling of American Indian word (probably Taino) trnslated to "small island". It also features the nickname "Isla Nena", translated from Spanish to "Little Girl Island", alluding to the perception as the little sister to Puerto Rico. The British name of the island during the colonial period was "Crab Island".
- Vieques Island is best known worldwide as the site of a series of protests against the U.S. Navy's use of the island as a testing ground and bombing range, which led to the departure of the navy in 2003. The former navy land is currently a national wildlife refuge, featuring numerous beaches which still retain the names given by the navy, such as Blue Beach, Green Beach and Red Beach. The beaches are often listed among the top Caribbean beaches for their white sands and azure-colored waters.
- Vieques Island is served by Antonio Rivera Rodríguez Airport, currently accommodating only small propeller-driven aircraft. A ferry runs several times per day from Fajardo. The ferry service is administered by ATM (Autoridad de Transporte Marítimo) in Puerto Rico.
Vieques Island cruise terminal
Most cruise ships to Vieques Island (Isla de Vieques) dock (anchor) at Esperanza - port town on the southern coast. Some ships may also stop at Isabel Segunda - port town (largest settlement) on the northern coast.
The Vieques Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Vieques Island, Puerto Rico.
If you lose the Vieques Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Vieques Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Vieques Island, Puerto Rico. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
26 November, 2017