Vila Real de Santo Antonio is a port city, civil parish, and municipality located in Algarve, Portugal. The city covers a total area of approx 61,25 km2 (23,65 ml2) and has population of around 19,160 people (2011 census).
- Vila Real de Santo Antonio is one of the few municipalities in Portugal that have no territorial continuity. The territory comprehends 2 parts, with the municipal seat in the eastern one. Both the city and municipality are Portugal's southeasternmost.
- Vila Real de Santo Antonio was established after the Lisbon earthquake in 1755, and largely expanded in 1774 via the same construction and architectural techniques employed in Lisbon's reconstruction after the disaster.
- The city of Vila Real de Santo Antonio is situated next to Guadiana river. Prior to the construction of Guadiana International Bridge (in the neighboring upstream municipality Castro Marim) it was the easiest access to Portugal out of Andalusia (by ferry from the Spanish Ayamonte city across the river). International movement of goods and people is still intense and visible in the city.
- Tuna and sardine fisheries are still important to the economy of the area. However, fish industry went into decline during the 1960s. Tourism quickly took over as municipality's economic engine, attracting both international and local tourists, especially during warm season. The teritary sector, including government/administration services and support industries are located in the parish of Vila Real.
- Several artists were born or worked in Vila Real de Santo Antonio, providing rich heritage in visual arts and literature, such as the native poet Antonio Aleixo and xylographer Manuel Cabanas, who stood out in the artistic panorama of the city and was a fierce opponent of Portuguese dictatorship.
The Vila Real de Santo Antonio cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Vila Real de Santo Antonio, Portugal.
If you lose the Vila Real de Santo Antonio location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.