VIDEO: First Carnival Chinese newbuild cruise ship floated out

   December 22, 2021 ,   Cruise Industry

The first Carnival China Cruise Shipping newbuild cruise ship was floated out last week at Shanghai Waigaoqiao Shipbuilding Co., a subsidiary of CSSC-China State Shipbuilding Corporation.

The vessel is one of two on order for the joint venture brand of Carnival with CSSC, where Carnival is the minority partner. The brand is expected to serve the Chinese source market and has also taken ownership of Costa's boats Costa Atlantica and Costa Mediterranea.

The newbuild touched water for the first time in Shanghai, and will now move to the interior fit-out stage before the delivery in 2023. A sistership follows in 2024, and there is an option for 4 additional (same-class) units on the contract.

The newbuilds are of the Carnival Vista-class platform. CSSC is working in partnership with Fincantieri Italy.

CSSC-Carnival Cruise Shipping is a new cruise company (2015-founded ) that was scheduled to start operations in 2020. The company was established as a joint venture between Carnival Corporation (world's largest passenger shipping operator) and China Merchants Group (Hong Kong-headquartered Chinese state-owned corporation). Most of CSSC Carnival China is owned by the Chinese shareholders (60%), and the remainder by Carnival (40%). The Chinese shareholders include CIC (China Investment Corporation) and CSSC (China State Shipbuilding Corporation).

Your personal data will be processed and information from your device (cookies, unique identifiers, and other device data) may be stored by, accessed by and shared with third party vendors, or used specifically by this site or app. Some vendors may process your personal data on the basis of legitimate interest, which you can object to by managing your options below. Look for a link at the bottom of this page or in our privacy policy where you can withdraw consent.