Ijmuiden is a major seaport located at the entrance to North Sea Canal (Nordzee Kanaal), approx 30 km (18 ml) west of Amsterdam city center.
The port has sea locks and harbors. Along the canal's banks there are large beaches, dunes with bunkers, a national park, fort island. The town's population is around 30,000.
- Among the best known tourist attractions is the IJmuiden Sea and Harbour Museum. Holland's most modern marina is located at the main boulevard. From there tourists only have to cross the dunes to find the broad beach.
- South Pier extends 3 km (2 ml) into North Sea, and is accessible on foot. Inland, among the the woods are 18th century mansions (like Beeckesteijn museum) with authentic French and English gardens. The cemetery of Driehuis is beautifully preserved and well maintained. The old centre of Velsen has the 8th century Engelmundus church.
- North Sea Canal connects North Sea with IJ Bay in Amsterdam. This is an important shipping canal along which are located the Hoogovensmuseum, the sluice gates system (at the canal's mouth), the Sea and Harbour Museum.
Besides Velsen Town Hall, important sights are the North Sea locks (among the world's largest). They are able to close off a shipping lane with width 164 ft (50 m) and depth / draft 39 ft (12 m). There are plans to enlarge or create a new set to facilitate passage for larger vessels.
Port IJmuiden new sealock (world's largest)
A new (world's largest) sealock is currently under construction at IJmuiden (North Sea Canal's entrance). The new facility will provide access to Port Amsterdam even to the world's largest cruise vessels.
The new sealock has length of 500 m (1640 ft), width 70 m (230 ft) and depth / max draft 18 m (59 ft), ranking it the world’s largest. Construction works started in January 2016, with scheduled completion by the end of 2019. After the sealock's inauguration, Amsterdam port will be accessible (for all types of marine vessels) 24 hours a day.
- The new sealock system will improve the accessibility of Port Amsterdam and will significantly stimulate the local economy by allowing shipping traffic with larger vessels and independently of tidal levels.
- The current lock system at IJmuiden port comprises of 4 sealocks that protect North Sea Canal's water levels. North Lock is the largest (length 400 m, width 50 m, depth 15 m) and allows passing of vessels with max draft 14 m (46 ft). The remaining 3 sealocks are smaller.
- New new sealock is between the North Lock and other sealocks.
- The project's total cost is EUR 890 million. It was funded through bank loans, European Investment Bank (EIB) and also equity financing. In June 2015, EIB funded the project with EUR 165 million (33% of its debt financing). Other banks that invested in the sealock were DZ Bank AG, KfW IPEX-Bank, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, MUFG; Bank and Unicredit Bank. They collectively loaned EUR 500 million, to be repaid during the facility's 26-year (through the year 2045) operating phase. The sealock building was also co-funded by the EU's TEN-T program.
- Holland's "Highways and Waterways Agency" awarded the EUR 500 million contract for the new sealock's designing, construction and maintenance to Consortium OpenIJ, which consists of BAM-PGGM (joint venture), VolkerWessels (construction company), DIF. BAM Infra BV, VolkerWessels (construction company). OpenIJ will be responsible for the sealock's maintenance until 2045.
IJmuiden Heliport is a small helipad in the IJmuiden harbour. The facility is used exclusively for maritime assistance (piloting services).
Next YouTube video (official release by Haven Amsterdam) shows the sealock project's main highlights.
The IJmuiden cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near IJmuiden, Holland.
If you lose the IJmuiden location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port IJmuiden cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from IJmuiden, Holland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
3 December, 2017
6 December, 2017