Manitoulin Island (originally Ekaentouton) is Canadian lake island located in Lake Huron, Ontario province. The island covers a total area of approx 2,766 km2 (1,068 ml2) and has a population of around 12,600 people (2012 census).
- Manitoulin Island is the world's largest freshwater lake island. Apart from the historic European and Anishinaabe settlement of the isle, archeological discoveries at Sheguiandah demonstrated Archaic and Paleo-Indian cultures dating back from 10,000 BC to 2000 BC.
- The current name of Manitoulin Island is the English version of "Manidoowaaling", historic Odawa name meaning "cave of the spirit." The island was named for underwater cave where a spirit was said to live. The Odawa "l" was pronounced as "n" by the 19th century. The same word, though with newer pronunciation is used for Manitowaning town (19th-century Odawa "Manidoowaaning"), situated on Manitoulin Island close to the underwater cave where legend said the spirit dwelled. The contemporary Odawa name for the island is Spirit Island (Mnidoo Mnis).
- Manitoulin Island has a number of lakes. In order of size, its 3 most prominent lakes include Lake Manitou, Lake Kagawong, Lake Mindemoya. Each of the three in turn have islands within, with the largest being Lake Mindemoya's Treasure Island (82-acre) in the centre of Manitoulin.
- During the summer months, the population on the island grows by over a quarter as many tourists come for boating and other activities in the scenic surroundings.
- On the August long weekend each year, Manitoulin Island hosts Haweater Festival. It attracts many tourists and features craft shows, firework shows, parades and rural competitions like horse pulls.
Manitoulin Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Manitoulin Island Canada dock (anchor) at Little Current port.
The Manitoulin Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Manitoulin Island, Little Current, Ontario, Canada.
If you lose the Manitoulin Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.