Nierstein is a port town located in Verbandsgemeinde Rhein-Selz, Mainz-Bingen district in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. The town covers a total area of approx 19,34 km2 (7,47 ml2) and has a population of around 8,200 people (2015 census).
- Nierstein is situated in Rhenish Hesse on Rhine River between Worms and Mainz. Flugelsbach empties into Rhine in Nierstein. Town’s neighbours include Dienheim, Dexheim, Oppenheim and Nackenheim.
- 290,000,000-year-old animal tracks may be made out in Permian deposits (Rotliegend times) around Nierstein. A hillside vineyard lies above Nierstein described as the “Red Slope”. It was made as it's a part of Rotliegend, which stretches to western Schwabsburg.
- 2000 years ago on the current site of Nierstein stood a Roman settlement named Bauconica Nova. In 742, the town of Nierstein featured its first documentary mention and the occasion was the donation of a vineyard and a church to Bistum Wurzburg by Majordomo Karlmann, Karl Martell's son. The Glöck is said to be the oldest vineyard complex ever mentioned in a document in Germany. Counts of Katzenelnbogen in der Walpe's vineyards were mentioned in 1451.
- The amateur Stapf palaeontologists, Arnulf (father) and Harald (son), show in Palaontologisches Museum Nierstein, built up by themselves, rare footprints of amphibians, reptiles and insects from the Permian period, along with fossils from all over the world. Since some of these specimens are unique, the institution, that is well worth seeing, is frequented by many international specialists.
- The 2nd largest field of economic endeavour in the municipality is tourism, catering to cyclists, hikers and day visitors. The centre of Nierstein-Schwabsburg counts 7 hotels and more than 20 guesthouses (pensions), most of which are sheltered in renovated wineries.
Highlights: Heidelberg, Odenwald region
The Nierstein cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Nierstein, Germany.
If you lose the Nierstein location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.