Oxford is a former colonial port and waterfront town located in Talbot County, Maryland, United States. The town covers a total area of approx 2,15 km2 (0,83 ml2) and has population of around 650 people (2010 census).
- Oxford is located on the south bank of Tred Avon river, close to its mouth, where the river empties into Choptank.
- According to the U.S. Census Bureau 1,40 km2 (0,54 ml2) of the total area of the town is land and 0,75 km2 (0,29 ml2) is water. This includes Town Creek, nearly splitting the town in two parts from north to south and providing a protected harbor for Oxford's shipbuilders and boaters.
- Oxford is one of Maryland's oldest towns. While it officially marks 1683 as its establishment because in that year it was first named as a seaport by Maryland General Assembly, the town began between 1666-1668 when 120,000 m2 (30 acres) were laid out as a town named Oxford by William Stephens, Jr. One of the first houses was built by 1669 for Innkeeper Francis Armstrong. The town of Oxford first appeared on a map in 1670.
- Oxford's glory ended with the American Revolution. Gone were the British vessels with their various imported goods. Tobacco was replaced by wheat as cash crop. Businesses went bankrupt and the population decreased.
- The town is host to the United States' oldest privately operated ferry service still in use. The original ferry service, today known as Oxford-Bellevue Ferry, was founded in 1683 and continues today. It links Oxford with Bellevue, crossing the 3/4 mile width of Tred Avon River during a 10-minute trip.
- Currently, Oxford is still a waterman's town, though enjoying a new revival based on leisure activities and tourism. Its fresh air, clean water and quiet charm provide a haven from the hustle of city life for weekend visitors, summer residents and boaters.
Highlights: Oxford-Bellevue Ferry
The Oxford cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Oxford, Maryland.
If you lose the Oxford location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Oxford cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Oxford, Maryland. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
8 October, 2017