Port Kembla is Wollongong City's suburb located approx 8 km (5 ml) south of the city's Central Business Distric. Wollongong is part of Illawarra (coastal region) in NSW (New South Wales) Australia.
The suburb Port Kembla comprises a seaport, small harbour, small town, large industrial complex and a nature reserve. Port Kembla has population around 5,000. Wollongong City's population is around 300,000, ranking it NSW's 3rd largest city (following Sydney and Newcastle) and the country's 10th largest.
- The port is located on the tip of Red Point. Its name means "plenty [of] wild fowl" (Aboriginal).
- Port Kembla is also named the argo port (man-made harbour waterway). The outer harbor is protected by breakwaters. The inner harbour was created by dredging. The port is managed by Port Kembla Port Corporation.
- The harbour is a prime coal export shipping location. The coal is mined in NSW's western and southern regions and transported via railways.
- Port Kembla's port was founded in the late 1890s to facilitate the coal export from Illawarra. Today, the port handles mainly general and break bulk cargo vessels, motor vehicle (import) vessels, bulk grain (export) ships.
In 2013, the private NSW Ports Consortium leased Port Kembla's port. The company soon revealed its expansion plan to enlarge the outer harbor, thus creating hundreds of local jobs and adding millions to Illawarra's economy. By this plan, the port will quadruple its cargo shipping capacity by allowing much more and bigger vessels into the harbor.
- The NSW government leased the port to the consortium for 99 years (for AUD 760 million). The projected annual bulk cargo shipping volume is around 16 million tons. This impressive volume is almost 4 times larger than the previously approved 4,25 million tons at the port's multi-purpose wharf.
- The port harbour expansion project was approved in 2011, due to completion by 2037. The plan also involves more dredging to allow ships with larger draft (Super-Post Panamax vessels) to use the port's terminals and also larger boxships to use its container wharves.
- The number of expected ship visits per year is around 170. Port Kembla statistics show that each ship arrival adds around AUD 1 million to Illawarra's economy and also generates 4 port-related local jobs.
- The extra cargoe transported by rail is 13 trains a day, which is 9 more than the previously approved 4 trains with direct access to the outer harbor.
In August 2015, Royal Caribbean International (RCI) announced that the company tests Port Kembla as a potential homeport (turnaround port for roundtrip itineraries) for RCI's Australian fleet.
- RCI operates the world's ever largest cruise liners. The company has spent years in seeking a solution to the berths shortage at Sydney Harbour. At Sydney AU cruise port's largest terminal can dock one vessel at a time. Sydney's second biggest terminal White Bay is inaccessible to bigger ships due to Sydney Harbour Bridge's height restriction.
- RCI is considering 2 homeport alternative locations - Port Botany (12 km southeast of Sydney) and and Port Kembla (80 km south of Sydney).
- For the first time, RCI cruise ship (Radiance of the Seas) docked in Port Kembla in October 2016. The call was part of a 7-night East Coast & Tasmania cruise from Sydney. The cruise liner brings around 2400 passengers and injects USD 890,000 into Illawarra's economy.
Port Kembla cruise terminal
The following Port Kembla map shows all the port's infrastructure as roads, railways, terminals, piers and other facilities. The Outer Harbour is the port's turning basin (swinging basin) where vessels (including cruise ships) maneuver before docking.
The Port Kembla cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Port Kembla, Wollongong, NSW Australia.
If you lose the Port Kembla location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Port Kembla cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Port Kembla, Wollongong, NSW Australia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
29 January, 2018
The bulk of the Australia-based fleet of Royal Caribbean International (RCI) could soon move from Sydney Harbour to industrial Port Botany. Some...September 22, 2015
Royal Caribbean International (RCI) is testing Wollongong's Port Kembla as a potential new homeport for its fleet in Australia, which is...September 7, 2015
- show more news