Porto Santo Island (is located in the Atlantic Ocean, approx 43 km (27 ml) northeast of Madeira Island. The isle is the northernmost of the Madeira archipelago (west of mainland Europe and Africa).
- The island has total area of 42,17 km2 (16 ml2), length of 14,2 km (9 ml), width of 7,8 km (5 ml), highest elevation point (Pico do Facho) 517 m (1696 ft) and population around 6,000.
- Porto Santo Island was accidentally discovered in 1418, after two Portuguese ships were storm blown into its harbor waterway. Both ships were ordered to search for new territories west of mainland Africa and were off-course due to a storm. The island was named Porto Santo (translated as Holy Harbour) after its sheltered bay. Its first settlers arrived in the 1420s. During the first centuries of Portuguese settlement, the isle was constantly attacked by Barbary Coast ( North Africa) pirates and French privateers. Christopher Columbus (1450-1506) after marrying Filipa Moniz Perestrelo, lived for while on the island, where their home is now a house museum.
- The main town - Vila Baleira - is unofficially called Porto Santo. It has schools, small hospital, gymnasium, police, churches, museum, shops, restaurants, bars, hotels.
- Porto Santo's economy is largely based on tourism. This island has numerous hotels, beaches, a golf course (Porto Santo Golfe) and the building of a second course is planned (to be Madeira's largest). The island's Golf Complex includes a total of 8 tennis courts, two mini-golf courses (a 19-hole and a 9-hole) and the equestrian (horseback riding) centre Pico Ana Ferreira.
- The island is served by the Porto Santo Airport, with regular flights to Madeira Airport (at approx 15-min fly distance). The airport also has connections with domestic flights (to Ponta Delgada Azores, Lisbon, Oporto, Faro), and occasionally offers charter flights to Spain, Belgium, France, Italy, Germany, England.
Highlights: Small island, deserted beach
Porto Santo Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Porto Santo Island dock (anchor) at Vila Baleira - port town on the southern coast.
The Porto Santo Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Porto Santo Island, Madeira, Portugal.
If you lose the Porto Santo Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Porto Santo Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Porto Santo Island, Madeira, Portugal. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
21 October, 2017