Providencia Island (Old Providence or Isla de Providencia) is a mountainous Caribbean island that is part of Colombian department of Archipelago of San Andres, Providencia and Santa Catalina and municipality of Providencia and Santa Catalina Islands. The island has a population of around 5,000 people (2007 census).
- Providencia Island is located midway between Jamaica and Costa Rica. The maximum elevation of Providencia is 360 m (1181 ft) above sea level. The smaller island Santa Catalina is connected through a 100-metre footbridge to the larger Providencia. El Embrujo Airport serves the island.
- Providencia was the site of English Puritan colony founded in 1629 by Providence Island Company. In 1641 it was briefly taken by the Spanish. Pirate Henry Morgan used the island as a base for raiding Spanish empire. Rumours suggest much of pirate's treasure remained hidden on the island. Different parts of Providencia are named after Henry Morgan. Forts and cannons that date back hundreds of years ago can be found all over Santa Catalina.
- As of 2015 Providencia Island was not seriously affected by the drug trafficking of Colombia. However, a lot of islanders were recruited to work for the drug traffickers because of their seafaring skills and knowledge of area's waters, and to the scarcity of employment opportunities. About 800 young locals out of the small population of Providencia were in jails abroad, or simply disappeared.
- The national park Old Providence McBean Lagoon (995 ha) is located on the northeast side of the island, between Rocky Point and Maracaibo. The park consists of small Cayes, coral reefs, mangroves, tropical dry forest and lagoons. The National Park features a small visitor centre situated on Crab Caye, from where spectacular views are revealed towards the barrier reef.
- Providencia Island is the centre point of Seaflower Biosphere Reserve, which is a UNESCO Marine Protected Area and forms 10% of entire Caribbean Sea.
Highlights: Undeveloped island, diving, reefs, beaches
The Providencia Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Providencia Island, Colombia.
If you lose the Providencia Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Providencia Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Providencia Island, Colombia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
13 December, 2017