Yorktown is a CDP (census-designated place) located in York County, Virginia, United States. It covers a total area of approx 1,7 km2 (0,6 ml2) and has population of around 200 people while York County has about 66,130 inhabitants (2011 census).
- Yorktown is the county seat of York County, which is one of the 8 original shires that were formed in colonial Virginia (1682).
- The town is most popular as the site of siege and subsequent surrender of Gen.Cornwallis to Gen.George Washington and the French Fleet during American Revolutionary War (October 19, 1781). Despite the fact that the war would last for another year, the British defeat at Yorktown ended it effectively. Yorktown figured prominently during the American Civil War (1861–1865), as it served as a major port to supply both the northern and southern towns, depending on who held Yorktown at that time.
- Currently, Yorktown is among the three sites of the famous Historic Triangle, also including Jamestown and Williamsburg as major colonial-era settlements. It's the eastern terminus of Colonial Parkway linking the locations. Yorktown is the eastern terminus of TransAmerica Trail, which is a bicycle touring route made by Adventure Cycling Association.
- One of the historic sister cities of Yorktown is Zweibrücken, Germany based on the participation of unit from there during American Revolutionary War.
- U.S. Coast Guard Training Center Yorktown is a training school for the U.S. Coast Guard. Also relatively near Yorktown are the Northrop Grumman Newport News Shipbuilding yards & facilities, Fort Eustis Army base (Newport News) and Camp Peary (York County). Other major installations in the region include Naval Station Norfolk (Norfolk), and Langley Air Force Base (Hampton).
- Today, Yorktown is popular as a heritage tourism destination and has distinct areas. Yorktown Village (Historic Yorktown) is close to York River, near George P.Coleman Memorial Bridge which spans the river to Gloucester Point. Yorktown Village is comprised of Water Street, which is a small strip along the beach and contains a pier, hotel, antique shop, park and several small restaurants. In May 2005 a new building was constructed with more restaurants and shops, enhancing what is currently known as the waterfront's "Riverwalk" section.
Highlights: Historic battlefields, Victory Center, Historic Triangle
The Yorktown cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Yorktown, Virginia.
If you lose the Yorktown location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Yorktown cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Yorktown, Virginia. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
5 October, 2017
30 October, 2017