Review of AmaDouro deck 4 (Sun-Pool-Helideck)
- The fore-located Navigation Bridge (called “Wheelhouse” on riverboats) is passenger accessible and telescopic (can be lowered for passing under low bridges). Behind the Wheelhouse, there is a stand for the traditional for AMAwaterways onboard bicycles (used complimentary on land tours/excursions).
- Boat's all-teak Sun Deck is enclosed by metal railings and offers unobstructed 360-degree views of the passing riverside scenery. It also has a shaded seating area for relaxation, covered with a hard roof. The 156 m2 (1680 ft2) roof has solar panels generating energy for some of the boat’s systems.
- A truly unique for a river ship feature is the aft-located Heli Deck with a helipad (helipoint) allowing small helicopter tour operations. The offered aerial tours add a unique cruise travel experience on APT-AmaWaterways Douro Valley vacations.
- On select days, alfresco lunch is served at the covered Lounge (midship on Sundeck). If weather permits, passengers can participate in group exercise classes organized here in the mornings.
- The Sun Deck is accessible from Reception Lobby (midship) and also via staircase located aft on Porto Deck below. Like on all riverboats, AmaDouro’s sundeck area provides unique vantage points for enjoying Douro Valley riverside scenery along the picturesque cruisetour itinerary route.
Among AmaDouro ship’s most prominent features is the Sun Deck's heated swimming pool (depth ~1 m / 3 ft) located near the Wheelhouse. Around the pool, there is a large sunbathing area with loungers and deckchairs. The pool is fitted with a swimming machine that generates an adjustable water current flow for resistance swimming (aka “endless swimming”).