A Caribbean voyage has been cut short after over 300 people onboard a Princess Cruises' ship began vomiting and suffering from diarrhea.
Caribbean Princess was sailing with more than 3,000 passengers and 1,100 crew on a 2-week trip that started on February 2 but had to turn back to her homeport in Fort Lauderdale FL after at least 299 guests and 22 crew members became sick, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced.
The vessel's operator, California-based Princess Cruise Lines, said the sailing had been cut short "out of an abundance of caution due to guests reporting symptoms consistent with a mild case of gastrointestinal illness."
Those affected were being treated by the ship's medics.
Meanwhile, the Health Ministry of Trinidad & Tobago confirmed that it had denied the cruise ship entry as "a precautionary measure."
Caribbean Princess is expected to arrive in Florida on Thursday, February 13, and will resume her schedule 3 days later.
Travellers will receive a 50% refund on cruise fares as well as a future cruise credit valued at 50% of their trip, the company said.
For other Caribbean Princess accidents and incidents see at the ship's CruiseMinus page.