Bahamas bans cruise ship tourists from the USA due to Coronavirus

   July 20, 2020 ,   Cruise Industry

Just 3 weeks after having opened borders to international travellers, the Bahamas banned visitors from the United States due to spike in Coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.

In a national address made Sunday evening, July 19, Bahamian Prime Minister Hubert Minnis said the new rule would go into effect on Wednesday, July 22, at midnight.

“Regrettably,” he said, the situation here at home has already deteriorated since we began the reopening of our domestic economy. It has deteriorated at an exponential rate since we reopened our international borders.”

“Commercial vessels carrying passengers will not be able to enter our borders,” the minister said.

Visitors from Canada and Europe will still be permitted to enter the Bahamas as long as they have tested negative for the virus within ten days before their arrival and have the appropriate paperwork to prove as much.

Grand Classica cruise ship

Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line had previously announced it intended to sail late July, a decision made possible by the fact they did not fall under the CDC’s purview. But citing “mounting pressure” given rising Coronavirus numbers in Florida, as well as restrictions in the Bahamas, the cruise line suspended sailings until August 28.

Your personal data will be processed and information from your device (cookies, unique identifiers, and other device data) may be stored by, accessed by and shared with third party vendors, or used specifically by this site or app. Some vendors may process your personal data on the basis of legitimate interest, which you can object to by managing your options below. Look for a link at the bottom of this page or in our privacy policy where you can withdraw consent.