Deception Island is one of the South Shetland Islands. It has one of Antarctica's safest harbours.
- Deception is the caldera of active volcano, that damaged local scientific stations both in 1967 and in 1969. Previously, the isle held a whaling station.
- Today, it is a scientific outpost with Spanish and Argentine research bases on it.
- The island is uninhabited, but became a popular tourist destination in Antarctica due to its chinstrap penguin colonies and the possibility of making warm baths by digging into the sands of its beach.
- Mount Flora on Deception is the first Antarctic site where fossilized plants have been discovered.
- On January 30, 2007, the Hurtigruten cruise ship MS Nordkapp ran aground off Deception Island's coast. As result from the grounding accident, fuel from the vessel washed into the bay. Ecological damage has not been determined yet. On February 4, 2007 Gabriel de Castilla research station reported that sand and water tests were clean.
Highlights: Volcanic caldera waters, Whaler’s Bay , Pendulum Cove
The Deception Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Deception Island, Antarctica.
If you lose the Deception Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Deception Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Deception Island, Antarctica. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
1 January, 2017
2 January, 2017
6 January, 2017
8 January, 2017
11 January, 2017
18 January, 2017
20 January, 2017
21 January, 2017
23 January, 2017
28 January, 2017
31 January, 2017