Easter Island (officially Isla de Pacua) is located in the South Pacific Ocean, about 2200 ml (3500 km) west of mainland Chile (South America). The island is of great archaeological importance and is famous worldwide with its nearly 600 large-head moai statues ("moai") gazing over the ocean. They vary in height from 10 to 40 ft (3 to 12 m) and are carved from volcanic rock.
- Discovered by the Dutch in 1722, Easter Island was first named Paaseiland (translated as "Easter Island"). The isle was taken over by Chile in 1888.
- The island has a total area of 163,6 km2 (63,2 ml2) and a population of around 6,600 people (2016 census).
- The nearest inhabited land is Pitcairn Island, at approximately 2075 km (1290 ml to the west. The nearest town is Rikitea (on Mangareva Island, French Polynesia, population around 500) located approximately 2606 km (1620 ml) to the west.
- Islanders are referred to as pascuense (in Spanish). However, it's common to refer to the members of indigenous community as "Rapa Nui".
- Besides tourism (including by cruise ship passengers), the island's other businesses are commercial fishing and farming.
- Easter Island is served by the Mataveri Airport. LAN Airlines (domestic airline) offers regular and direct flights to Santiago Chile, Papeete (Tahiti, French Polynesia) and Lima (peru).
- There is a marine shipping service to Valparaíso port (Santiago, Chile).
- Hanga Roa is the island's port town with population around 3,500, which is approx 90% of the island's total population. The town features the Avenida Atamu Tekena avenue, lined up with many guesthouses, hostels and luxury hotels (total capacity around 600 beds), stores restaurants, internet cafes. The town also features a museum, a Roman Catholic church, a multi-use stadium, Estadio de Hanga Roa, which is the home ground of the Easter Island football team.
- Wood was scarce on the island during the 18th-19th centuries, but several highly detailed and distinctive carvings found their way to world-famous museums.
In 1995, Easter Island was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site, with much of its territory protected within Rapa Nui National Park.
Highlights: 600 megalithic statues
Easter Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Easter Island dock (anchor) at Hanga Roa - port town on the southwestern coast.
The Easter Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Easter Island, Hanga Roa, Chile.
If you lose the Easter Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Easter Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Easter Island, Hanga Roa, Chile. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
8 November, 2017
9 November, 2017
23 November, 2017
25 November, 2017