Kaikoura is a port town located on the east coast of South Island, New Zealand. The town covers a total area of approx 6,78 km2 (2,62 ml2) and has a population of around 2,080 people (2016 census).
- Kaikoura is located on State Highway 1, around 180 km (112 ml) north of Christchurch. It became the first local authority situated in the Southern Hemisphere that achieved recognition by EarthCheck Community Standard.
- The town is the governmental seat of Kaikoura District territorial authority, which is politically part of Canterbury region. The District features a land area of 2,046 km2 (790 ml2) and an estimated population of 3,740.
- Kaikoura Peninsula extends south of the town into the sea, and the resulting currents bring a wealth of marine life out of the depths of nearby Hikurangi Trench. The town of Kaikoura owes its origin to this effect, as it developed as a centre for whaling industry. The name of the town is translated to 'meal of crayfish' and crayfish industry still plays an important role in region's economy.
- In the Kaikoura 7,8-magnitude earthquake of November 14, 2016 the infrastructure of the town was heavily damaged which caused 2 deaths in the region. The sea level of the bay and the surrounding area was lifted by 2 meters because of the triggered tsunami. Hundreds of residents and one thousand tourists were stranded in the town after the earthquake cut off vehicle and train access.
- However, the town of Kaikoura has become a popular tourist destination, especially for whale watching (sperm whale watching is probably the world's most developed) and swimming with/near dolphins. There is a large and readily observed southern fur seals' colony at the eastern edge of Kaikoura. At low tide, better viewing is possible as the ocean gives way to the rocky base that is easily navigable by foot for some distance.
Highlights: Whale watching, dolphins, seals, birds, rafting
The Kaikoura cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Kaikoura, New Zealand.
If you lose the Kaikoura location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Kaikoura cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Kaikoura, New Zealand. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
8 March, 2017
Cruise ship season is currently on track for quake-stricken Kaikoura, which welcomed its 2nd lot of cruise passengers for the summer. ...January 19, 2017
Kaikoura tourism was given a needed boost with the entry of the first cruise ship since November earthquake. On Tuesday, December 27, Mayor...December 28, 2016
New Zealand gets ready to welcome a record number of cruise ships this summer, including an unprecedented 9 ships making their inaugural...September 28, 2016
- show more news