Moffen is a tiny, low island located north of Wijdefjorden's mouth, on the northern coast of the largest island of Svalbard archipelago, Spitsbergen. The island of Moffen lies just north of 80° and has become a popular target for ships touring the archipelago. However, landing or entering inner waters is strictly forbidden due to fear of disturbing wildlife as Moffen Island is an important haul-out region for Walrus and a birds' nesting site.
- Moffen lies within Nordvest-Spitsbergen national park. It consists of gravel and sand without solid bedrock and is only about 2x3 km. Moffen Island breaks the surface of the sea by only a couple of metres.
- Travel on Moffen Island and a zone of 300 m (984 ft) of its surrounding waters is prohibited during the period between May 15 and September 15.
- The island was first labelled in 1655 on a map by Hendrick Doncker, of Amsterdam. The whalers knew Moffen Island in the 17th century, so it soon became a slaughtering site for walrus.
- Its name, legend has it, was rather unfriendly nickname for Germans sailing on Dutch whaling ships. But Dutch people often say that it's more likely to be referring to the shape of the isle, which resembles a ‘Muff’, the woolen thing in which people put their hands from both sides to protect from cold.
- Despite its small size, Moffen Island features some interesting wildlife, though observation opportunities are not great due to legally required mininum distance. There are large numbers of breeding Arctic terns and a few pairs of Sabine’s gull, that is extremely rare in Svalbard.
Highlights: Spitsbergen, walrus, Sabine's gull
Port Moffen Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Moffen Island, Norway. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ship||Arrival||Departure||Next Port of Call|
|25 May, 2018|
|MS Nordstjernen||Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Arctic Norway|
|27 May, 2018|
|MS Nordstjernen||Spitsbergen Island, Svalbard, Arctic Norway|
The Moffen Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Moffen Island, Norway.
If you lose the Moffen Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.