Nisyros is a volcanic Greek island located in the Aegean Sea, part of Dodecanese island group. The island covers a total area of approx 41,6 km2 (15,8 ml2) and has a population of around 1,000 people (2011 census).
- Nisyros Island was also called Incirli (Turkish) and Nisiro (Italian).
- The shape of the island is approximately round, with a diameter of 8 km (5 ml). Several other small isles are located in Nisyros' direct vicinity, the largest of which is named Gyali.
- The island has a 3 km (1,9 mi) to 4 km (2,5 ml) wide caldera, and was formed during the past 150,000 years, with three separate eruptive stages.
- The volcano is now active (though not erupting). Fumaroles are found at its craters. It has had 4 historical eruptions, almost all of which involved phreatic activity. The latest eruptive activity was in 1888, after ash eruptions in 1871, 1873. Earthquakes are not infrequent. Due to 1996–1997 seismic unrest an international team of scientist initiated monitoring of the volcanic unrest in the EU (European Union) sponsored Geowarn project. Nisyros volcanic complex éncompasses the seafloor between Kos and Nisyros, the island of Gyali and part of Kos island.
- The Municipality of Nisyros includes Gyali (population around 30) as well as the uninhabited Ágios Antónios, Kandelioússa, Pacheiá, Pergoússa and Stroggýli. It has a total land area of 50 km2 (19 ml2). Its traditional product is soumada (non-alcoholic almond-flavoured beverage).
- The patron saint of Nisyros Island is Saint Nikitas. A lot of Orthodox Christian churches are situated on the island, as well as 4 monasteries that are currently not inhabited by monks, although a variety of celebrations take place there. The largest monastery is Panagia Spiliani (Blessed Virgin Mary of the cave) at Mandraki, the main port of the island (population around 660 people).
- Nisyros Island is reachable by ship from Kos and Piraeus, and in summer months, there are daily trips from Kardamena village on Kos Island. There is also a heliport.
Highlights: Manraki, Castle, Monastery, Paleokastro fortress
Nisyros Island cruise terminal
Cruise ships to Nisyros Island Greece dock (anchor) at Mandraki - port town on the northwestern coast.
The Nisyros Island cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Nisyros Island, Greece.
If you lose the Nisyros Island location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Nisyros Island cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Nisyros Island, Greece. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
4 August, 2017