Port Moresby (aka Pom Town) is the Papua New Guinea's capital and largest city. The port city is located in the Gulf of Papua and covers a total area of approx 240 km2 (90 ml2) and has population of around 410,950 people (2011 census).
- Port Moresby is also referred to as Moresby or Pom Town. It is located on the south-eastern coast of Papuan Peninsula of New Guinea island. As a trade centre the city emerged in the 2nd half of 19th century. During The Second World War it was the prime objective for conquest by Imperial Japanese forces during 1942–1943 as an air base and staging point to cut off Australia from the Americas and Southeast Asia.
- The place where the city was established has been inhabited for centuries by Motu-Koitabu people. The first European who saw it was Capt. John Moresby (1830-1922) in 1873 and it was named to honour his father, Admiral Sir Fairfax Moresby (1786-1877).
- Despite the fact that the Central Province surrounds Moresby, the city is not part of it, but forms National Capital District. Port Moresby refers to the urbanised area of National Capital District and specifically to the main business area, locally popular as "Town".
- Since the 1990s the city centre has ceased to feature restaurants and night life, although it is very successful. The affluent housing region situated north of downtown remains so, though there are currently few modest residential houses, most replaced with substantial apartment buildings.
- In recent years Moresby has seen economical boom. There has been substantial building of office towers, housing, shopping malls. The waterfront area has been redeveloped with apartments, shopping centers and restaurants. Sporting facilities were upgraded for the South Pacific Games in 2015 and further development took place for the FIFA Under-20 Women's World Cup in 2016.
The Port Moresby cruise port map is interactive. It shows the port's exact location, along with the real-time cruise ship traffic (if any) in its vicinity - today, and right now. By zooming-out you can see other cruise ship ports located near Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
If you lose the Port Moresby location on the map, simply reload the page (also with F5 button). This feature is integrated with the CruiseMapper's cruise ship tracker tracking the vessels' current positions at sea and in ports.
Port Port Moresby cruise ship schedule shows timetable calendars of all arrival and departure dates by month. The port's schedule lists all ships (in links) with cruises going to or leaving from Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. To see the full itineraries (ports of call dates and arrival / departure times) and their lowest rates – just follow the corresponding ship-link.
|Day||Ships in port|
14 February, 2018